X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danielle.elsener
    • Jan 2013

Zero wastage pattern making. A piece from my senior thesis

For the last two years my focus has been on zero wastage pattern making; exploring the puzzle that is trying to use every inch of fabric in a garment. For my senior collection I made my menswear patterns based off the golden ration. The focus is definitely on movement and volume as well as durability, functionality, and protection.

The look shown is a mens zero waste hand waxed cotton jacket.

It can also fold up into a bag for added usability and function.

Details: 100% Cotton Twill, Otter Wax (beeswax) paracord, anorak snaps, eyelets.

Design Danielle Elsener
    Talent John Godbee
    Photography Pablo Serrano
    But what do I know.
  • viciouscircle
    • Oct 2009

Would you show us the idea of pattern pieces?
    Wine, cheese and crackers.

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

Interesting. Is this aided by a computer algorithm in some way or is the "zero-waaste" your approach to pattern design?

Comment

• danielle.elsener
        • Jan 2013

^ Here is the most condensed version of the pattern used for this particular jacket. I did not use a computer system to create any of the designs...I enjoy doing all the grunt math work! I had thought about making an algorithm at one point, but have not found the right moment as of yet. I really enjoy the problem solving that zero waste designs employ.

Thanks for the questions!
        But what do I know.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
          Interesting. Is this aided by a computer algorithm in some way or is the "zero-waaste" your approach to pattern design?
          Zero-waste is a sustainable pattern-making that results in no fabric wasted (typical patterns waste 10-15% of fabric, multiple it up the wazoo and you get the idea). It's something that's now taught in universities and there have been Ph.Ds on it, most notably by my good acquaintance Timo Rissanen. Google is your friend.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• apathy!
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by danielle.elsener View Post

^ Here is the most condensed version of the pattern used for this particular jacket. I did not use a computer system to create any of the designs...I enjoy doing all the grunt math work! I had thought about making an algorithm at one point, but have not found the right moment as of yet. I really enjoy the problem solving that zero waste designs employ.

Thanks for the questions!
            cool. Thanks!

Comment

• viciouscircle
              • Oct 2009

Thanks for sharing the pattern pieces
              Wine, cheese and crackers.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰