X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comedyzen
    • May 2009

Darkening Leather

There have been several times when I wanted my leather to be 2-5 shades darker. I spoke to my cobbler and a tailor, but neither had any options to darken leather other than dying them. So after some research I found this:

First at bat, a pair of lite gray Red Wings. I wanted these to be 2-3 shades darker. So after 2 applications, I got this (top pair was oiled):

I was very happy with the outcome. Next up was my poor Incarnation jacket. For those of you who don't know it's history, here is a recap:

then I did this:

So let the fun begin. I wanted to darken this because it felt like I was paying homage to James Dean every time I sported it. I oiled half so I could see a side by side and got this:

The bastard darkened up to near black. You can barely see the red/brown. I would've preferred it to be 1-2 shades lighter, but overall, I am happy with the turnout. The leather is much more supple and buttery. The After & Before:

Last edited by comedyzen; 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

This is awesome. I am very much tempted to try it on my gray Julius jacket.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

I've never heard of this...very interesting. Where did you buy the product?
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

wow! thats impressive, I need to find this stuff...
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• comedyzen
          • May 2009

Is this a "mod only reply" thread? : ) I got it off Amazon from a horse supply company. They stocked this with the intention that I would use it to darken my saddle. But there were several other sellers on A.

My next project with this jacket is to give it that "oiled" look so it is nice and shiny a la Neil Barret. Will start research on that later.
          Last edited by comedyzen; 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Lol

How does it hold by the way? Any color bleeding?
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• josecc
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
              ..my saddle
              Looks nice, one question, I remember once I tried a very similar product (oil for saddle) on a jacket but I really disliked the odour, have you had any problems in this matter?

Comment

• comedyzen
                • May 2009

Color is holding fine. I noticed that after day 3 post application, more of the red is showing through (oil is drying?) You have to place this jacket in direct sunlight to see hints of the original color. Another application can remedy that, but I actually like the color seeping thru.

As for smell, I did this on the terrace and let the jacket soak up some rays. Then brought it indoors. Day 1, it did exude a lil something, but it now has a pleasant musk.

Comment

• peerc
                  • Jan 2013

I am definitely going to try this on a pair of boots I have. How many applications would you say would be enough to turn dark brown boots black?

Glad your jacket is all better now, when I clicked on the first post... good lord
                  Last edited by peerc; 05-31-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• likeaboy
                    • May 2013

excellent work comedyzen! I'm definitely gonna try it on my boots

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                      . . .
                      As for smell, I did this on the terrace and let the jacket soak up some rays.
                      Then brought it indoors.
                      Day 1, it did exude a lil something, but it now has a pleasant musk.

sain't

Comment

• julia_endlessdark
                        • Sep 2011

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Hydrophane Leather Darkening Oil 500ml 5513 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• viciouscircle
                          • Oct 2009

good to hear! thank you!
                          Wine, cheese and crackers.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎