Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What machine produces stitches like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smudge
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by fulvster View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new here, so much so that I only joined because I saw Smudge's question and I know the answer. I had to wait to be approved so I hope I am now not too late and that you are still curious about the answer. Any domestic serger/overlocker machine allows you to stitch a two or three thread FLATLOCK stitch; the photo you inquired about is the reverse or "ladder" stitch side of the flatlock serged stitch which is often used for its decorative purpose. Search for "flatlock" serged stitch online and you will find tutorials, videos, everything you need to guide you, or feel free to contact me and I will guide you, if you wish.

Now I will look around and see what you are all doing here and learn something.

Hope this helps a bit. Thanks.
    Oh wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot!

Comment

• CAIN
      • Jun 2013

Why is this stitching so recurrent on most SZ designers/brands?

Comment

• ferryshit
        • Oct 2012

I personally think it is because it creates a delicate fragile aspect to a piece which could otherwise look tough and strong, like some leather. Also it gives you a way of seeing how each piece of fabric is connected so in a way it helps you connect with the process that they went through, and helps make you feel more connected with the designers like they are showing you their secret. But thats just my take, you would have to ask the designers.
        FASHION to DEATH -..I have put in the world such orders and such customs that life itslef, both the body and soul, is more dead than alive..

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ferryshit View Post
          I personally think it is because it creates a delicate fragile aspect to a piece which could otherwise look tough and strong, like some leather.
          for me, a regular seam is clean, minimal and often unoticeable, whereas overlock stitching is much more bold and stands out.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• CAIN
            • Jun 2013

I personally like more a regular seam even if its more common, the overlock is more interesting when the tension is loose, but I keep seeing it again and again that it becomes boring sometimes, not that I think that only CCP should do it (he was the first approach to that kind of finish in a garment that I know, still maybe it was someone else, dont really mind who was the first, but I always relate that seam to him)

However as far as I know from a friend who makes very nice gloves that seam can be made with a strobel machine, it can do a very thick and bold seam and with a different needle can do smaller seams, that machine is used to Make gloves, it work good for shearlings, and some part of a shoe proses that I'm not very familiar with.

Comment

• itskentt
              • Jun 2013

That's actually a butted seam.. merrow sewing machine company makes machines for those stitches. Hope this helps.

Comment

• CAIN
                • Jun 2013

here´s and article about Merrow machines and how Isaac Sellam uses this machine in his leather work.

If a brand is a reflection of its customers, then Merrow is a cool and innovative company indeed. We constantly think about sewing and how ...

Comment

• modesclave
                  • Mar 2010

The stitch is known as a 2-Thread Flatlock.

Most overlockers are capable of doing it, though some need an extension for it to work.

Comment

• k3mist
                    • Apr 2013

am i right to assume the stitch is loose?
                    to achieve that 'gap'

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
                      am i right to assume the stitch is loose?
                      to achieve that 'gap'
                      The "overlock" component that is visible from the outer face is indeed loose, but that is not the supporting component of the stitch. There is typically at least one independent straight stitch that keeps the two pieces of fabric together across the seam.
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• alyen
                        • Oct 2015

that stitch can be easily emulated with an overlocker by removing the right needle and setting the tension to looser than you normally would.

Comment

• clay
                          • Sep 2006

I have a simple home sewing server and I get a pretty decent looking "ladder or scar" stitch by using two threads on light weight jerseys ( rayon, cotton or wools). With or without the blade and loose tension. You gotta test it out on each fabric and get it right. Also it is never , ever precise. It does waver from the machine and your hand.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎