X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Having seen the line in person I can say that in terms of quality it holds up. Surely, the influences are undoubtedly clear. But it's the designer's first season - perhaps he deserves a break :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Supel View Post
      Sorry but In terms of innovation, I don't see much to offer. Pretty tired of seeing watered down ideas of what has already been done (i.e. c-diem leather shirt). Lacking soul big time. I only see physical form. The name is a mere insult to m.a+.

Of course designers need to evolve and learn over time, but so far I see no potential based on the direction shown here, as it's clearly being executed by designers mentioned here on a regular basis. Far better of course. I personally don't like to criticise others hard work as I see how difficult the fundamentals involved throughout a creative process, particularly this industry, but in order to create a serious fashion house individuality is crucial.
      You know nothing, and are in a position to speak nothing and some of you keyboard pundits need to shut up and do more research before taking a bunch of nonsense without any supporting disposition

The name is no insult to MA+, and some of you had better get some broader references than the narrow ones you have as they are already beyond stale..........as if certain designers on SZ are the end all be all of fashion and was suddenly creative powerhouses outputting extraordinarily refined works from the inception of their careers.

The designer was originally a graphic designer and the name is simply a play on taking a new direction in his life, and work.........as in a crossroads, a new direction, and by extension "A New Cross"

The designer is not perfect, and yes, he is still working out his aesthetic/ ideas. If you know nothing at all about fashion, you will know it takes several seasons for any designer to work out a cohesive viewpoint and systematically build up an identifiable look in his work and a big part of this is influenced by the environment and support system he/ she has around him. However you instant critics who do not understand this is always ready to come to misguided conclusions.
      Go take a look at the works of all your gods from the earlier stages of their careers and tell me how good it was?

The designer is a good pattern maker, a key essential in making a strong designer.........and if you wanna know, go ask Rick or Junya Watanabe about the importance of this aspect to their work and the ability to define ones signature. he is in a good place, being in Paris, and around first rate designers he can learn from, he is humble, with an high aptitude for processing valuable information, and it can only do a world of good for his development

Its fine to critique any designers work, as none of us are above criticism, but please get your facts correctly and try to understand the whole system of a creative trajectory and how it works before yapping away
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• CAIN
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Supel View Post
        Sorry but In terms of innovation, I don't see much to offer. Pretty tired of seeing watered down ideas of what has already been done (i.e. c-diem leather shirt).
        Really man are you tired? How tired like sad? Do you really believe that the leather shirt was invented by Carpe? So if Boris makes a leather shirt he is copying Maurizio´s work? Or because is Boris and is a well-established name is ok with you? And if Rick is making lots of MA1 bombers derived from the ALPHA original models is that something that confuses you and makes you feel tired? What if a small brand is making them too, because is a small name it can´t make a reinterpretation of a classic model?

I think you forget that what’s being discussed here in the end are only clothes, no one here invented the wheel, and the fun part of it all is to be able to choose what to wear, your life is not going to change if you wear CCP or any other name, this won’t make you a better person and if it does you are just hollow inside

Cheer up man!

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

what?

well hold on now guys calm down i don't think Supel was being all that cruel was he? he's just saying that there have been a lot of labels doing very similar things for a while now. some have distinguished themselves and found a place in the market. some haven't.

i like it. because i like a lot of the pieces in the collection. the downside is that i've liked these pieces for years...heehee

i mean it is clearly derivative, isn't it? thats not necessarily an insult when someone is just getting started, its just how it is sometimes. lots of great artists hone their skills by flat out copying other people's works. so what? the main thing at this point is if the quality is there. the fit, the materials, etc.

but he won't last without an identity that is clearly distinguishable from his influences.

also, knowing that the designer was changing careers when he came up with the name does explain it. and i realize he wasn't ripping off amadei. so it is not an insult. but a new cross simply sounds a lot like m-across when you say it. it just does. its really similar. and since he was clearly designing for this same little niche of the fashion world it may not have been the best choice. just sayin'...

tl;dr - everyone gets a trophy! but not forever...
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• arby2001
            • Jan 2011

i'm not going to argue with industry insiders because i lack the necessary technical knowledge, but...

my honest assessment is that i don't see any ideas in this collection that the designer can call his own. i see a mishmash of obvious "borrowing" from a whole host of designers without a direction or purpose. it's true for example that bbs made a leather shirt, but at the same time he matches it with other unique products of his own in the overall look. my opinion is that if you don't have a foundation of original ideas to work with, it's best not to release a collection at all (until you can come up with some).
            too skinny for rick

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post
              i'm not going to argue with industry insiders because i lack the necessary technical knowledge, but...

my honest assessment is that i don't see any ideas in this collection that the designer can call his own. i see a mishmash of obvious "borrowing" from a whole host of designers without a direction or purpose. it's true for example that bbs made a leather shirt, but at the same time he matches it with other unique products of his own in the overall look. my opinion is that if you don't have a foundation of original ideas to work with, it's best not to release a collection at all (until you can come up with some).
              first off i dont remember who said it, but a great designer once said "originality does not exist in fashion". While I dont necessarily agree with this view, it is important to you to understand that unless one works and continues to work, there can be no ideas to work with. One had to do something first, and out of that something that is done, then a wellspring of ideas come to the fore. it takes time, and knowledge and this can only come by working and not the other way around
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• upsilonkng
                • May 2010

the thing is, when u go public w/ anything u should be ready to be criticized , extensively. Be it music/art/fashion it comes w/ the territory. It can build a tremendous chip from which u can derive complete defeat or success, i know when i see a band's first show if they aren't original.. most almost every band isn't but are on the right path(good influences etc..) and then u talk to them and they seem like honest,humble, hard working and intelligent people u know they will get there, i think that's what zamb sees but probably what we here while looking thru this lookbook cannot.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ well said
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎