X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! Will be going back later this month XD
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• stagename
      • Oct 2011

Since yelp etc. is only so useful, here's what's been on my resto list lately:

bouillon bilk, le fantome, mousso, the new pinxto

cheap eats: ganarada, kazu, restaurant ha

you can check out montreal eater: http://montreal.eater.com/

I second DHC and the event space they have next door which name now slips my mind.

my fav cafes in the city are Myriade (Kees van der Westen), Le Couteau (Marzecco), and Plume (Kees van der Westen). Coffee is on rotation but they more often than not serve Parallel 47 which seems has captured the market of cafes in Montreal. You can also stop by my place ;)

Comment

• stagename
        • Oct 2011

Looking for a trustworthy cobbler in Montreal. Ideally close to downtown but I'll travel if not. Thanks!

Comment

• boodude
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by stagename View Post
          Looking for a trustworthy cobbler in Montreal. Ideally close to downtown but I'll travel if not. Thanks!
          Carinthia shoe repair. I and few others from here have used them exclusively since years and very happy. PM me if you need my name for a reference.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Considering going with my daughter for a few days the first week of August. Please file any updated recommendations - food, coffee, galleries, shopping, event spaces, and all around fun things to do. I am down to meet forum members, too!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
              • Sep 2014

I'd check out Larry's and Le Faberge for breakfast/brunch, definitely the latter over the former though if you have to choose. St. Viateur and Fairmont bagel are both great, open 24/7 and have been doing it the longest in the city. L'Express is great for late night french dining - quail is great, wine list is extensive. Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich is a must, one of the oldest deli's in Canada. If you're into Southern Tex-Mex, Icehouse is very nice. I haven't been but I've heard Saint Sushi is very good as well. Sonorama is great for records, owner is very well versed and curates a superb selection.

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

ere's what I send friends, I'll update with some galleries, Arsenal and Division come to mind and Olaf Eliasson is at the MACM at the moment.

It's disappointing, I'll be out of town otherwise would have loved to meet.

Have a blast!

Restaurants

cheap eats
                kazu (ajapense)
                ganadara (korean)
                la banquise (poutine, so popular touristically that chiense buses now stop by)
                capital tacos (tacos in chinatown)
                sammy soupe (shanghai style dumplings)
                romados (montreal most famous portuguese style chicken restaurant)
                best smoked meat is at lester's on bernard, fuck schwartz
                bilbocquet, kem coba, and diperie for ice cream/gelato
                kinton ramen for ramen, as well as yokato yokabai

mid-to-higher range: Obviously taste is a personal matter, but I ate everywhere in the city and those would be my top. I haven't gone to chasse & peche, though. I heard good things.
                my favorite table in the city is Manitoba. It's about 50-60$ per person. They changed their chef recently, though, but he got rave reviews. It's a new take on old Canadian recipes. That's the only place I go to over and over again.
                lawrence
                noray gray
                fantome
                tuck shop
                le mousso is like 150$ per person but up there with most of the 3* michelin I've been to.

My go-to neighborhood place is Balsam Inn.

The next place I want to try is Reservoir. The chefs from Hotel Herman, which closed down to the changes in the building where their restaurant was, moved over there and my guess is the food must be great, Herman was consistently ranked best in the city.

I recommend Montreal Eater for restaurant lists. Double check with Gault and Millau, and then yelp and tripadvisor but they are generally on point,

i don't like joe beef (and their two other placeS), pied de cochon, bouillon bilk, hvor, h41 or whatever it's called in the south west, foxy, candide, LOV, all of them are very run-of-the-mill hipster restaurants so i wouldn't recommend.

micro brews (more here: https://montreal.eater.com/maps/best...pubs-beer-bars)
                my recos:
                isla de garde (also has a nice bar food menu)
                dieu du ciel more or less started the montrela microbrew scene
                vice et versa distributes some 35 different microbrews from around quebec
                saint bock
                harricana is okay if you are in the neighborhood

bars
                alexandra platz (nice if there is an event)
                lab culinaire SAT for the patio
                darling is okay
                plan b for the patio

cokctail bars (more here: https://montreal.eater.com/maps/cock...-bars-montreal)
                my recos:
                cloakroom (probably my fav one cocktail wise, the place is a tad small and the speak easy trend is getting on my nerves)
                coldroom
                flyjin
                bar kabinet
                le lab (first cocktail bar in the city from what i remembe,r now a bit meh)
                There are a few bars that specialized in some hard alcohol (eg whisky bar for whiskys) but honestly we don't have an amazing cocktail scene.

coffee
                Myriade started the thrid wave scene in Montreal. The owner won best drip worldwide some years back.
                Plume
                Noble
                I think these are my three favs. OSMO is neat for the brutal building but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

for brunch downtown i'd recommend parvis for the place
                l'avenue is always full so wouldn't really recommend
                I'd check eater for brunch, things tend to change, the only place you won't find on any list is a little corridor of a restaurant on park ave called la petite addresse

show spaces
                sala rossa
                http://blueskiesturnblack.com/ (promoter)
                casa del popolo
                divan orange
                belmont
                jazz at upstairs (mondays are jam nights at 5$ and usually good) and dieze onze (forgot when they jam days are)
                vitrola
                olympia
                club soda
                le ritz pdb
                quai des brumes
                SAT
                stereo
                I'm blanking but there is a space downtown where most of the good electronic acts go
                metropolis

you can find daily activities on mtlblog, dailyhive.com/montreal, and quartier des spectacles website
                list of hip restaurants of the moment on montreal eater

3 main things to do:
                go up the mont royal to have a view of the city
                go walk on st paul and the quai in the old port
                check out the basilica notre dame but, yeah, it's a church

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Thank you so much! Ah, a shame that you are not there then.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Hey Everyone! Went through what everyone posted and there's some good stuff in this thread! Does anyone have any new updates regarding places to go/things to do in Montreal? I'll be there for a few days next week, thanks!
                    Last edited by eleves; 05-29-2018, 02:46 PM.
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Back in to report on Montreal:

Went to a few places on stagename's list -
                      -Manitoba and Reservoir were both excellent. If you want a single, hearty meal then you should avoid Manitoba but if you're good with small plates and sharing a bunch of those small plates then it should definitely be a move. Wine list was very good and cocktails were interesting as well
                      -Dieu du Ciel was great for beer and it's really close to Saint Laurent Blvd with a bunch of shit to check out including Lawrence (delicious burger) and its relative, Boucherie Lawrence that had some good sandwiches and charcuterie (great for a quick lunch bite).
                      -Myriade was great for coffee (which I don't even drink often so I could be wrong) but it's also on the same block as St. Viateur Bagels which was solid (Fairmount Bagels was also good but I'll give the edge to St. Viateur).

I didn't try the coffee at OSMO but I loved the building and it's a great place to sit down and work if necessary and the non-coffee options were solid. Also ran into another cafe called Hvmans on Saint-Catherine which was cool in terms of space, ambience and selection.

-Au Pied de Cochon has a great foie gras poutine (the best poutine that I was able to try in Montreal). I'm not a fan of foie gras but everything about the dish was good so I can imagine it being stellar for anyone who is into foie gras. I would recommend making a reservation as far in advance as possible for this place as it was fully booked everyday that I was in Montreal so eventually ordered this poutine to go and just brought it back to where I was staying.

-Lili.co was my favorite brunch in Montreal. Great menu with great cocktails and pretty nice space.

-Notre Dame was beautiful from the outside but closes at 4PM (which I was not aware of) so I couldn't check out the inside so keep this in mind if you want to see it.

- The new SSENSE shop is right next to Notre Dame and the space is beautiful with a great cafe on the top floor. Keep in mind that you can't really shop for much in store as it follows an appointment based personal shopping model. If you plan your trip to SSENSE ahead of time, you can have access to anything in their online inventory within 24 hours and handle them in store as they will have them shipped there for you to try on and purchase.

- I also had a lot of fun at Rage Axe Throwing. Throwing different axes at a target sounds great and it was even better in reality. I'd definitely try it again!

Lyft is not available in Montreal so be prepared to use Uber if necessary!
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Zambot
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                        ere's what I send friends, I'll update with some galleries, Arsenal and Division come to mind and Olaf Eliasson is at the MACM at the moment.

It's disappointing, I'll be out of town otherwise would have loved to meet.

Have a blast!

Restaurants

cheap eats
                        kazu (ajapense)
                        ganadara (korean)
                        la banquise (poutine, so popular touristically that chiense buses now stop by)
                        capital tacos (tacos in chinatown)
                        sammy soupe (shanghai style dumplings)
                        romados (montreal most famous portuguese style chicken restaurant)
                        best smoked meat is at lester's on bernard, fuck schwartz
                        bilbocquet, kem coba, and diperie for ice cream/gelato
                        kinton ramen for ramen, as well as yokato yokabai

mid-to-higher range: Obviously taste is a personal matter, but I ate everywhere in the city and those would be my top. I haven't gone to chasse & peche, though. I heard good things.
                        my favorite table in the city is Manitoba. It's about 50-60$ per person. They changed their chef recently, though, but he got rave reviews. It's a new take on old Canadian recipes. That's the only place I go to over and over again.
                        lawrence
                        noray gray
                        fantome
                        tuck shop
                        le mousso is like 150$ per person but up there with most of the 3* michelin I've been to.

My go-to neighborhood place is Balsam Inn.

The next place I want to try is Reservoir. The chefs from Hotel Herman, which closed down to the changes in the building where their restaurant was, moved over there and my guess is the food must be great, Herman was consistently ranked best in the city.

I recommend Montreal Eater for restaurant lists. Double check with Gault and Millau, and then yelp and tripadvisor but they are generally on point,

i don't like joe beef (and their two other placeS), pied de cochon, bouillon bilk, hvor, h41 or whatever it's called in the south west, foxy, candide, LOV, all of them are very run-of-the-mill hipster restaurants so i wouldn't recommend.

micro brews (more here: https://montreal.eater.com/maps/best...pubs-beer-bars)
                        my recos:
                        isla de garde (also has a nice bar food menu)
                        dieu du ciel more or less started the montrela microbrew scene
                        vice et versa distributes some 35 different microbrews from around quebec
                        saint bock
                        harricana is okay if you are in the neighborhood

bars
                        alexandra platz (nice if there is an event)
                        lab culinaire SAT for the patio
                        darling is okay
                        plan b for the patio

cokctail bars (more here: https://montreal.eater.com/maps/cock...-bars-montreal)
                        my recos:
                        cloakroom (probably my fav one cocktail wise, the place is a tad small and the speak easy trend is getting on my nerves)
                        coldroom
                        flyjin
                        bar kabinet
                        le lab (first cocktail bar in the city from what i remembe,r now a bit meh)
                        There are a few bars that specialized in some hard alcohol (eg whisky bar for whiskys) but honestly we don't have an amazing cocktail scene.

coffee
                        Myriade started the thrid wave scene in Montreal. The owner won best drip worldwide some years back.
                        Plume
                        Noble
                        I think these are my three favs. OSMO is neat for the brutal building but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

for brunch downtown i'd recommend parvis for the place
                        l'avenue is always full so wouldn't really recommend
                        I'd check eater for brunch, things tend to change, the only place you won't find on any list is a little corridor of a restaurant on park ave called la petite addresse

show spaces
                        sala rossa
                        http://blueskiesturnblack.com/ (promoter)
                        casa del popolo
                        divan orange
                        belmont
                        jazz at upstairs (mondays are jam nights at 5$ and usually good) and dieze onze (forgot when they jam days are)
                        vitrola
                        olympia
                        club soda
                        le ritz pdb
                        quai des brumes
                        SAT
                        stereo
                        I'm blanking but there is a space downtown where most of the good electronic acts go
                        metropolis

you can find daily activities on mtlblog, dailyhive.com/montreal, and quartier des spectacles website
                        list of hip restaurants of the moment on montreal eater

3 main things to do:
                        go up the mont royal to have a view of the city
                        go walk on st paul and the quai in the old port
                        check out the basilica notre dame but, yeah, it's a church
                        I am definitely going to check some of these out cheers for the recommendations. Been to Montreal twice. Absolutely love the city, for activity recommendations I highly recommend the bicycle tour or food tour sponsored by Spade & Pallacio. Absolutely incredible people and the tour of the Jean Talon market is unbelievably good.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎