X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

Ablation Cufflinks

Sorry for starting a new thread if that's not acceptable I can consolidate all my student work into one thread!

Created as a one of a kind entry into a local student competition, these cufflinks were inspired by the haunting beauty and tragedy of the rapidly retreating glaciers across the polar regions.

Serendipitously, shortly after beginning this project I saw the multi award-winning documentary Chasing Ice. The documentary follows the work of the Extreme Ice Survey (EIS), who use time-lapse photography, conventional photography and video to document the effects of global warming on glacial ice. It is the most wide-ranging glacier study ever conducted. The EIS aims to show epochal change happening within the time frame of human life, and to provide scientists with a photographic record to understand the mechanics and pace of glacial retreat and how it relates to climate change.

Creating the cufflinks involved a long developmental process, both first deciding how I would represent the glacier and then how to introduce colour.

I made a silicone mould from the glacier shape I’d carved and spent weeks casting it over and over in resin trying to get the colours as authentic as possible; milky aqua with grey-streaked walls. From there I painstakingly carved and modelled two cufflink settings – similar but not identical – with a vicious rocky base for the glacier and a miniature mountain that would secure it to the cuff.

Because I had to cast the glaciers one at a time (I used slow-curing resin that took 10 hours to set) the colouring of each isn’t quite the same as the other. One has whiter peaks, the other has heavier grey streaks. If I’d have had more time I would have kept casting them until they matched, but as it is I suppose it’s an appropriately symbolic nod to the poetry of imperfection found in both naturally occurring and hand-made things.
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

these look fantastic. kudos on the thought and production process as well. i'd like to see a pair of earrings in this style.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

the color is absolutely beautiful.

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

Thanks AKA and messenoire

I'm surprised to have had a lot of comments about creating earrings of this style, but the exact shape/size of the glacier in this piece would not be suitable without looking very 80's/costumey, I think. They are very large - much bigger than standard cufflinks. Almost 3cm wide.

I'm now seriously considering creating something in an earring though, perhaps more stalactite-shaped which would lend itself more to an earring.

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

I also thought they were earrings at first XD
          But I would love it if you ever made a ring version because I'm obsessed with everything ice.

On a side note: I really wish you would take up miniature (Warhammer, Warmachine etc.) painting/sculpting. The things you would create...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• ahn
            • Jul 2012

I would eventually love to have a go at sculpture, it something I've never thought might be in my realm of artistry until I began making jewellery and realised how similar it is on a different scale.

My teacher was really encouraging of the outcome of these cufflinks and is urging me to explore the techniques I used more for a broader collection of works. I hope to create at least one ring and one pair of earrings in this style before the end of the year, when I conclude my formal studies!

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahn View Post
              I would eventually love to have a go at sculpture, it something I've never thought might be in my realm of artistry until I began making jewellery and realised how similar it is on a different scale.
              If you wanted to keep it in fashion you could also look at sculpture for set design, like the works of Rhea Thierstein.
              My teacher was really encouraging of the outcome of these cufflinks and is urging me to explore the techniques I used more for a broader collection of works. I hope to create at least one ring and one pair of earrings in this style before the end of the year, when I conclude my formal studies!
              Yesssss.

Comment

• ahn
                • Jul 2012

Just a little update on these to share that they took out the winning prize at the exhibition I made them for a very exciting moment for a student jeweller!

Comment

• aylameridian
                  • Aug 2013

These are absolutely gorgeous. I agree, earrings would be amazing.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Just a little update on these to share that they took out the winning prize at the exhibition I made them for a very exciting moment for a student jeweller!
                    Ahh! Congratulations!

Comment

• Aska
                      • Feb 2013

Congratulations on the prize! These are truly amazing, have tried to work in resin myself but never really got a grip of it, you can really see the amount of work you put in to them. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎