• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Is Digital Imagery Killing Creativity?

I thought this was an interesting argument about how ready access to images leaves less to designers' imagination.

Full article on Business of Fashion.

TEL AVIV, Israel — The first suspicious signals surfaced just over six months ago. A plaid short skirt at the Moschino fashion show joined a stray stud from the Versace collection. Both of these were soon incorporated in a number of other collections, both high-end and high-street, culminating in the Autumn/Winter 2013 collection for Saint Laurent Paris. Accompanied by a deafening soundtrack of blaring guitars, any lingering doubt was decimated: the current fashion mood was unmistakably 90s post-punk, or grunge.

Fashion retailers are now racing to align themselves with this nostalgic movement with extraordinary enthusiasm. Indeed, examining the Fall collections of several popular brands, one discovers a scarily similar blend of flannel shirts, black jeans and studded boots. For designers, many of whom grew up during the late 90s, this represents a seemingly pure form of nostalgia, which may serve to explain why they are flocking towards the trend.

But to tell the truth, this glance back towards the 90s gives me a severe sense of discomfort. As opposed to the manner in which 80s fashion derived its sculpted shoulders from the 1940s, mixing in its own sharp angles, and unlike Madeleine Vionnet’s turn-of-the-century neo-classical dresses, which incorporated new bias cuts, the 90s revival apparel appears to be too true to its origins. Today’s grunge looks identical to the original grunge (enabling Hedi Slimane, Saint Laurent’s creative director, to recruit Courtney Love, one of the decade’s irrefutable symbols, as his presenter).

Like other realms of design, fashion always moves forward with one eye on the past, constantly re-examining proven aesthetic codes. That being said, the striking similarities between fashion from 20 years ago and that which is being produced today are not coincidental. The technological advancements of fashion documentation over the last two decades, especially in the realms of digital media and broadcast channels like MTV, have affected fashion itself....

CONTINUE READING HERE
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Bson
    • May 2013

It's an interesting idea, and the quote from Elbaz is very true, though I don't think the writer's point directly relates to the creative process for most designers who are truly following their own aesthetic. The same can be said for visual artists and musicians. Artists used to go to the Louvre to study paintings-- and they still do, but now they also have accessibility to the many more museums and collections, texts, print images... Classical musicians could only hear famous artists in concert, but now we can look online, buy any CD or stream live performances. The accessibility of a visual or sound as a point of reference just makes it more readily available, though the actual 'process' of creating, in my opinion, is the same as it has always been. It takes the same effort and the same amount of self-searching, hard-work, time... Perhaps even more today, in some aspects.

This point is totally irrelevant to me: "The [description of a specific period in exhaustive detail] ultimately castrates the one’s ability to interpret (as there is nothing left to the imagination)"

The only advantage you gain by having things more accessible is just that-- you can acquire more in a faster time. How much of that is needed for a single collection, a single sculpture, or re-interpreting a single piece of music? Great things normally come from a very specific vein, and an artist has their own voice, hopefully, that runs through their work. Surely people who simply cut and paste ideas or copy specific gestures have been doing this for hundreds of years-- you can see it in all forms of design, art, music, etc. You can't blame today's accessibility for a lack of vision.

Side note-- the constant references to MTV... ??

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Before it became a reality tv channel, mtv had been immensely influential in exposing a broad audience to the twists and turns of fads and fashion in an accessible and entertaining way (cf that show they had with the supermodels and the one with that guy, sorry for not being too specific. I can find the reference if it is of any interest)

The internet is doing the same thing through blogs. Not many young people are interested in reading BoF or Cathy Horyn. Lots of young people like blogs, because much like mtv used to do they provide the guide to purchasing your uniqueness and identity, through the mediation of self-professed "cool people" and curators

Comment

• malevich
        • Jun 2012

To be quite frank, i think it is not simply the case of using the same print provided by google images. I am also quite sure it is all produced in the same factory via one and the same order sheet through the same outsourcing company with simply the different label attached.

Those who take their work seriously still try to go at least to a library from time to time for some long forgotten inspirations and sources. Internet becomes boring, same references, same blogs, same news, very boring, soon there will be nothing left to read online. The answer is to turn off the computer and go for a walk to clear up the head and start from zero. And as a result you will finally realize there is so much more time for dealing with new things without internet.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎