• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Collateral Concepts 4th Iteration

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Lookbook download links:

Regular Size (8.5 mb)

High Resolution (745 mb)
    Last edited by Chinorlz; 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Finally complete after a (very) long time, I am happy to present the 4th iteration of Collateral Concepts.

A small collection but each piece contains its own story and complexities in regards to materials. Background and approaches to the work to follow in this thread.

A HUGE thank you to everyone for their support over the years. It truly has been an incredible experience and I have been very fortunate to have had this opportunity to share my creations with everyone!

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

The metalwork:

Both chains are completely made by hand. Each link is connected individually by me in the correct spiraling pattern that you see in the images above. They are then tarnished and re-polished to give them that deep dark luster. The caps used for the horsehair are custom cast for me and everything else is done by me in the studio down to the construction of the hammered silver plate with the Collateral logo stamp and the hook used for closure which has the 0.925 stamp on it as well.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

East West Weekender Bag:

The body of the bag is two precision cut pieces of Horween tanned American Bison leather that has a beautiful luster and grain while remaining lightweight. The strapping is thick and lovely Asian Water Buffalo. These are all joined using heavy beeswax coated thread that is sewn by hand (not machine). The strapping is joined together with 0.925 sterling silver "staples" at the bottom of the bag (done so not only for design purposes but because that is the point that will contact the ground the most and thus should be metal).

The top stitch point joining the hand straps to the body of the bag are also sewn by hand in a strong, weight bearing pattern echoed in the form of the Chinese character for king (王).

One can see that there is a wider strap that travels around and under the sides and bottom of the bag with a hand-hammer faceted and polished U shaped hook on either end. This can be completely unhooked from both ends and reversed and thus used as a shoulder strap. Replacement back into its standard position is easy as well. The strap is precisely measured and cut so that when hooked to the square rings on either end of the sides of the bag, the tension keeps it in place and it does not come off even when the bag is set down. All hardware is also 0.925 silver and each piece is hammered hundreds of times to generate facets to the metal before it is formed and shaped. It is then polished to a high shine and will very slowly tarnish and develop a beautiful patina.

The zipper is inset into a precision cut slice into the leather and the zip itself is a two-way, self locking heavy custom Super Lampo zipper. This is again set using hand sewn beeswaxed thread that is done in an overlapping fashion on the outside. The bag is fully lined using vintage indigo dye Japanese boro fabrics that are 50-100 years old. The fabrics are carefully chosen so that you can see the original hand-sewn repairs, patching and stitches done by the original owners all those years ago. Truly beautiful material with a soul to it. Each bag's lining as such will be completely unique. Hidden in the base of the bag is a stiffer piece of vegetable tanned leather to create a firm flat bottom to the bag.

Conceptually, the materials were chosen not only for durability, beauty but also because of their origins. The leathers are "east meets west" originating from both sides of the ocean and thus embody my own personal background being American born Chinese. The boro fabric within the bag has history unto itself; sewn by people that have long since passed away. The materials having been hard worn, lovingly and painstakingly repaired over the decades. It has seen so much and given a second life and a chance to travel the world once again here.

The locking two-way Lampo zipper is the best on the market and I had them custom cut and the smaller pulls replaced with heavier logo-less pulls, all done in the same antiqued silver tone.

The bag is designed to hold a pair of shoes/boots next to each other without a problem and can easily accommodate a 15" macbook pro, ipad plus enough clothes and accessories/toiletries for three days. All the while, the bag itself is lightweight.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Movement Leather Jacket:

Horween horsehide with two way locking custom cut antique silver tone heavy duty locking Lampo zippers and fully lined in organic pure black American cotton.

The body is constructed of a front, side and back panels that allow contouring through the sides for an anatomic fit even better than before. The front curving seam has a fully lined and hand-sewn reinforced edge pocket.

The collar is a curving deeper jut neck that can be worn fully zipped or lapels splayed out.

The sleeve seam arcs down the front and then towards the blade of the hand. The same seam continues through the front shoulder and then curves around the neck to meet the mirror image on the other arm at the center neck in a perfect +. The front panel's neckline curves up and around the back of the neck to help form the collar. The lines follow a continuous line of motion from one arm to the other.

The hem is also curved and is slightly lower in front and then curves around the hips and up at the base of the spine.

The inner lining is 100% organic cotton and forms the side curving pockets with seams that flow into the panel seams and then the double chest pockets similar to what was done on the 3rd iteration leathers.

I have also designed in two matching inner side pockets that can hold more precious items and are inset so far as to be difficult for pickpocketers to reach.

The hide is a medium weight and so is a trans-seasonal leather that has an incredible handfeel and structure that gives it a form even when not being worn. The Horween horsehide has incredible graining and textures that not only look incredible but will age beautifully over time. As is with each hide, no two jackets are alike.

All the seams of the leather have been painstakingly sewn and then hand glued flat on the inside an inch at a time so that every seam lays completely flat and smooth.

As with all my work, each jacket is constructed by me personally from beginning to end.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Retailers list to follow.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to answer any and all order and item detail inquiries via PM or at my e-mail address.

Sizing extending beyond what is listed above may be accommodated as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

• old
                • Jul 2009

Wow, the leather jacket is easily one of the best I've seen in a long while! The subtly curving cut really looks appealing and the leather is absolutely top notch, looking great without over treatment.
                Tradition ist Bewahrung des Feuers und nicht Anbetung der Asche.

Comment

• Raw
                  • Oct 2009

Really stunning work as always A!
                  That leather jacket is amazing, construction and material/hardware is just top notch.
                  I really enjoyed reading your write ups for them, it's great to get an insight into the detailed precision and thought process that goes into each piece.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Damn, Albert, this is stellar! Congratulations.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Thank you gentlemen!

Through the last year, I have had several ideas and some have gotten as far as the canvas/muslin patterning but in the end I wanted to present this as a concise collection. The other pieces and concepts I will continue to work on in the coming months and will present them as discontinuous work.

I spend a lot of time on the materials research and development and studies of techniques. Much of the work you see required the acquisition of new tools and instruments and even a new industrial sewing machine just to get everything right.

Every component of every item has been thought out and addressed down to the tone of the silver and its post-processing/tarnishing/repolishing.

I will have a downloadable pdf in medium as well as a much larger high-resolution version linked here later on today as well.

* EDIT *

Regular and high resolution pdf lookbooks are now available for download up above.
                      Last edited by Chinorlz; 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Prototypes
                        • Oct 2008

Appreciate the in-depth thought processes and descriptions (the staples on the weekender especially!)

Also, the horsehair bracelet chain is astonishing!

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

i'll take one of each please. just put it on my tab.

but really the workmanship is excellent, the materials look top notch. nothing is overdesigned or gimmicky but its still conceptual, thoughtful and detailed. well executed. but more importantly, it looks sick as...well, you know.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• drizzly
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

nice dude!

Comment

• CAIN
                              • Jun 2013

Amazing work! I'm loving the gloves and jacket! Looking forward for the retailers list!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎