X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Graygoose
    • Jul 2013

August Pope Wool Jacket

Here is the first piece I have ever made entirely by hand, only fashion work I've done before this was designing a couple of screen-printed t-shirts. The jacket is almost entirely wool, except for the off-white extension which is cotton.

August Pope

Instagram: august_pope

There is beauty in decay.
  • palgrave
    • Jul 2013

Like it alot, except for the extension. Good work!

Comment

• Graygoose
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by palgrave View Post
      Like it alot, except for the extension. Good work!
      Much appreciated, someone recommended that I make the extension removable by adding a zipper, any thoughts on that?
      August Pope

Comment

• Simari
        • Aug 2013

I'm not crazy about the extension either, but I do really like it. I think this would even sell in a different type of fabric, although I'm a huge of wool...wish it were cold enough here for me to wear something like that.

Comment

• Graygoose
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Simari View Post
          I'm not crazy about the extension either, but I do really like it. I think this would even sell in a different type of fabric, although I'm a huge of wool...wish it were cold enough here for me to wear something like that.
          I plan on doing another one in a khaki canvas with a paisley lining, maybe ill leave the extension off for that one. Thanks for the feedback!
          August Pope

Comment

• SherylP
            • Aug 2013

The craftsmanship is impressive, it looks professionally made! And I love the collar on the jacket.

Comment

• Graygoose
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SherylP View Post
              The craftsmanship is impressive, it looks professionally made! And I love the collar on the jacket.
              Thank you it really means a lot.
              August Pope

Comment

• gavagai
                • May 2010

Very derivative and not really anything
                New or interesting. BBS + RO fail.

Comment

• Graygoose
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                  I suppose you're partially right, looked through a couple archives and found some similar jackets. I dont think it's really a fail though... It's pretty functional as a jacket. The world has been around for a long time, it's hard to make something without anything being similar.
                  Last edited by Graygoose; 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM.
                  August Pope

Comment

• CAIN
                    • Jun 2013

I can't believe this SZ witch hunt of what resembles to this or that designer can be so annoying, for god sake is this kid's first piece, what I would expect while someone is studding is to have good references, experiment in the pattern and cut and even make DIY pieces of other designers, this way someone can find its own way in fashion.
                    Is really dumb to think that you can come with the most original idea when it comes to a first piece ever made...

I can tell that if this kid is member of this forum and is developing some work would want to hit in a future this same target, I think that the best way to help or advice would be giving him critics on what he is doing wrong, something like what someone said about the extension, I personally don't like the extension as well but I see this as a functional jacket and from what I can tell is well constructed.

Keep on the good work and don't be bummed by this trolls, I'm sure you will find them all the way in your career.

Comment

• michael_kard
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                      This is such a redundant comment. If you are looking for something new or interesting go to the Designer section.

I think you should consider altering the shoulder pattern the next time you try this. I think the jacket would look better with a more narrow/defined shoulder shape instead of the present dropped cut, which seems to add a bit of bulk. That said, even as it is the jacket drapes and fits the wearer well.
                      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Graygoose
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                        This is such a redundant comment. If you are looking for something new or interesting go to the Designer section.

I think you should consider altering the shoulder pattern the next time you try this. I think the jacket would look better with a more narrow/defined shoulder shape instead of the present dropped cut, which seems to add a bit of bulk. That said, even as it is the jacket drapes and fits the wearer well.
                        Thank you, you should see the pattern that I used to start with though haha, you would never understand how I got to this jacket from there. Thank you for the supportive comments everyone, I will be doing more work in the future for sure.
                        August Pope

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍