• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Op-Ed | Mining the Goth Aesthetic, Fashion Pivots to Darkness

Original on BoF

"No longer confined to the fringes of fashion, the goth aesthetic is being mined by a wider spectrum of designers, observes Eugene Rabkin.

NEW YORK, United States — Every year I buy the September issue of American Vogue. It’s a good way to take the industry’s temperature. There, I can see all the ad campaigns in one shot and try to understand the image designers are trying to sell us.

This season the look is decidedly dark. Ads from Gucci, Prada, Miu Miu, Proenza Schouler and others contain gothic elements, whether in the clothes, the makeup or the setting. Even Roberto Cavalli, whose success chiefly lies in flinging leopard prints at Russian parvenus, developed a campaign with subdued, dark colours and smoky-eyed models wearing chain-trimmed black-and-white clothes.

One tempting explanation for this is the gloomy socio-economic era we inhabit, what with persistent global financial woes and political unrest. For some reason the fashion industry’s talking heads have an incorrigible desire to peg fashion trends to macroeconomics and political events. But this explanation is dubious at best.

The gothic aesthetic — darkly romantic, with emphasis on black — had been hiding in the corners of the fashion universe for a long time, permeating the work of designers like Ann Demeulemeester, Yohji Yamamoto, and, most notably, Alexander McQueen. Yet, labels with a gothic bent weren’t widely emulated until Rick Owens hammered his brutalist vision of goth into the collective head of the industry, season after season.

The rise of the gothic look has also been propelled by Ricardo Tisci’s work at Givenchy. Arguably, Givenchy is now the hottest ticket in fashion town, especially since the likes of Kanye West have jumped on the label, making it so popular that retailers cannot keep Tisci’s $500 printed t-shirts in stock.

“This darkly romantic look has, pardon the expression, entered the bloodstream of fashion,” said Valerie Steele, fashion scholar and director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

Indeed, the aesthetic has even spawned sub-genres. First, there is “hipster goth,” epitomised by companies like LA-based Skingraft, All Saints and Oak, the duo of hipster goth stores in New York, recently bought by American Apparel.

Then there’s “ghetto gothic,” a term used by the designer Shayne Oliver to describe his cutting-edge label Hood by Air. The sub-genre also encapsulates labels like En Noir, with its black leather tops, and Pyrex 23, which is busily printing images of Caravaggio paintings onto Champion sweatshirts. And a few weeks ago, the rapper Angel Haze expressed her wish to collaborate with Rick Owens, using the term “goth ninja,” which appears to have entered the pop culture mainstream.

So what’s driving this?

My hunch is that goth is one of the few cultural movements with strongly recognisable visual codes that fashion has not yet fully mined. And it’s easy to mine, because its elements can be broken down without much effort. Plus, the aesthetic is edgy — what with the emphasis on black, the elongated silhouette, the leather — which fashion loves, at least in theory. Of course, in practice, what fashion really loves is to take what’s edgy and defang it (the default look on the Upper East Side these days seems to be a Rick Owens leather jacket paired with a Chanel bag and Tory Burch riding boots).

Looking at Gucci’s fall campaign, Dr. Steele said, “It’s a high-glamour goth look, with the snakeskin leather and the red lipstick and the sleek, black hair. It was perfect for them to style it like that, body-conscious and futuristic. There is flexibility about the look. You can take the core — that charisma of deviance and dark romanticism — and easily pick it apart, so it has a lot of potential for a wider range of designers. The visual codes of goth are very easy to detach from its signifiers.”

What’s more, fashion has always taken its cues from music and goth may be one of the last major musical sub-cultures left to tap. Punk is now truly dead, as the sad spectacle of the star-studded gala for the opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit reminded us last spring. And other areas of rock music have been beaten to death (though Hedi Slimane and John Varvatos will probably disagree). Goth is also attractive to fashion, as Dr. Steele pointed out, because, traditionally, it’s more of a female look, baroque and decorative, and therefore more easily mined for womenswear.

For years, goth lived on the fringes of fashion, referenced by designers who genuinely related to the sub-culture, and not just its visual aesthetic. But today, it’s clear that major brands are mining the look for all it’s worth.

I, for one, am sad to see another cultural movement watered down, its aesthetic decoupled from its substance. Devil knows fashion has done enough of that."
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • messenoire
    • Nov 2009

nyfw is reflecting your exact sentiment. the forecast being a very dark stark palette. i really appreciate the op editorials and hope this can become a more frequent occurrence if you find the time. i like it when i see the names of sz members pop up in articles, faust's in particular, and i think it'd be a good treat if we got the commentary/thoughts/opinions from members/ops in between the published articles. but back to the subject at hand, things are noticeably darker and there is an influx of new talent cloaked in darkness. the aesthetic is my favorite so it's hard to find things in "my comfort zone" to be so boring. i feel like the reason this niche thrives is because it represents more than just clothing being black, minimal, foreboding, stark, and flat out goth. the designers talked about here do not seem to be product of marketing and slapping a few layers of black on a model but the results of hard work in an unforgiving industry carving out their own dark corners where you can trace their progression, research, development, and forceful motions pushing their work further than is needed but pushing it further because they have something they need to release from within. the recent goth trend lacks the soul and the back story which draws people in. what i am seeing among this permeating trend is designers making "just clothes" and that is not enough for me. context is very important.
    /end romanticism

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

This article really brought to memory an episode of Doug...now bear with me here. Being a cartoon character, he only wears one set of clothes. His closet? Same outfit. So there's this T.V. show that all the kids at school watch, and when they see the outfit of this one male character, they all wear his outfit the next day. Doug, however, does not participate and gets ridiculed for it. One day the main character wears the same outfit as Doug, so everyone comes to school the next day dressed like Doug. Doug, being unaware, gets upset because he doesn't watch the show yet everyone congratulates him for finally participating. When the next outfit comes along, however, everyone asks why he's still wearing the old outfit, forgetting that he always wears that outfit, saying it's yesterdays news.

Obviously the episode was a commentary on trends and peer pressure, but I think it applies quite correctly to the appropriation of the "gothic aesthetic" and how it will be treated when it is no longer on trend.

What typically bothers me the most though is when you find someone who you might share common interests with due to clothes, music being a primary factor, but quickly realize that you share absolutely nothing in common with them. (I'm not gonna say poseur, because hey, it's trendy and edgy). It's the same with modern geek culture. Someone says they're geeky, you start talking about like Star Trek, but their knowledge only extends to Big Bang Theory or Game of Thrones.

I guess my rant is basically about how the assimilation of these cultures makes it easier to relate to people on a basic level, but more difficult to find those who one can bond with on a deeper level. Cue the growth of Online dating.

eh this post is kinda all over the place :/

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Thank you both. I wish more members would comment on the article, positively or negatively.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahn
          • Jul 2012

Ah yes I saw this pop up on BoF today. Saw the words "goth aesthetic" and immediately wondered if it had been penned by Faust!

More mainstream designers might be leaning towards gothic styling but it seems that it's still the same niche writers prepared to talk about it.

Trends are cyclic, fashion frequently borrows from dark style in one way or another.

I think 'gothic style' has always had sub-genres. Rick and Yohji have really different interpretations and yet are still both easily associated with the 'gothic aesthetic'.

I definitely appreciate Ahimsa's POV - when we all only have the cover to judge a book by, we will naturally seek covers that suggest the book will pertain to our interests. If and when we are able to read the blurb we realise we have been mistaken and that this book does not interest us at all.

But is this really a huge problem for us? How many consumers are ACTUALLY purchasing full Rick wardrobes because hip hop artists are endorsing his brand and then legitimately tricking us into thinking they're "one of us"? Be honest - it's easy to tell apart the guy who bought a pair of dunks because FASSHUN and someone committed to their gothic aesthetic.

Yes for some people, they will see some dark style, have a dabble and move onto the next thing.

But for others, they may discover something within themselves they never realised was there.

Sometimes we're so busy complaining about a little watering that we forget to anticipate what good might grow.
          some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

good read. i just think if you give it time, every dog has its day. grunge started in walmart, was picked up by marc jacobs and then readopted by walmart. jcrew borrowed the mass market preppy aesthetic from j.press and bb and now influences those brands.

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

to me it feels like this sort of disconnect between the new "goth ninja" movement into the mainstream can be attributed to the lack of knowledge of it's wearers . throughout the last 50 years or so with every fashion movement there was a musical movement to spearhead it, or vice versa.

I know there are some bands out there that are on the fringe of connecting and blurring those lines, for the pure artistic aesthetic, art for arts sake, but I see the majority of those in the public eye that are attaching themselves to the "goth" moniker lack completely a knowledge if any, to it's historical relevance. and that which surrounds it.

can the lack of pop cultural substance be blamed on the knowledge or lack of by those musicians / figures in the public eye?
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• MJRH
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                I guess my rant is basically about how the assimilation of these cultures makes it easier to relate to people on a basic level, but more difficult to find those who one can bond with on a deeper level.
                first, Ahimsa, loved the Doug analogy. brilliant! and often all too true. ♥

but i can't say the same for the bit above. it worries me a little, in fact, because shouldn't something that makes it easier to relate to people on a basic level also make it easier to bond with them on a deeper level? that's something that i've always found to be true, at least. for example, i think the sex pistols are, well, bollocks, but if i see someone in a sex pistols t-shirt that's a different matter, there's a decent chance we'll get along because maybe if they like the sex pistols they also like the ny dolls and wire and collect old kbd comps and think patti smith is hotter than debbie harris. isn't it better to look at things like the sex pistols re:punks or big bang theory re:geeks, at mass-appeally things, as potential gateway drugs to the subcultures we love rather than as obstacles preventing access thereunto?

so let's turn the Doug example on its head. sometimes it happens the way you've related it, but other times, the way some people in any niche subculture including SZ can act, it's as if Doug went to school and threw a temper tantrum at others for constantly trying on new outfits every day (see parts of convo in wtf thread right now), and meanwhile all the other kids hadn't noticed or cared what poor ol' Doug was wearing in the slightest...

i just reread what i've written and i didn't mean for it to come across as preachy as it did. all i'm saying is i think it's more productive, and i think it makes us happier, if we look at the current widening appeal of the darker aesthetic as an opportunity to spread the gospel. not as an end of times.
                ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                  shouldn't something that makes it easier to relate to people on a basic level also make it easier to bond with them on a deeper level?
                  I totally agree with this. I think the snag is that there is a ever widening gap between the two. following your sex pistols 'gateway' analogy, I just think those conversations are going to be few and far between...

A lot of my personal inspirations and relationships have stemmed from meeting friends at 'shows' or at the record store and having similar yet defining subcultural tastes and expanding on them...

but don't get me wrong mjrh, I'm all down for talking new wave and postmodern existentialism with some ricked out pyrex hood rat...

Comment

• MJRH
                    • Nov 2006

amen to that!

only i disagree that the gap is widening. widening how? how many times in literature is the hero or antihero portrayed as an alienated loner at odds with his parents his peers and his city? is this issue really something different? i've no doubt commodity culture is changing the nature of the gap, but substantially widening it? that i need to see more evidence of.
                    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                      Ah yes I saw this pop up on BoF today. Saw the words "goth aesthetic" and immediately wondered if it had been penned by Faust!

More mainstream designers might be leaning towards gothic styling but it seems that it's still the same niche writers prepared to talk about it.

Trends are cyclic, fashion frequently borrows from dark style in one way or another.

I think 'gothic style' has always had sub-genres. Rick and Yohji have really different interpretations and yet are still both easily associated with the 'gothic aesthetic'.

I definitely appreciate Ahimsa's POV - when we all only have the cover to judge a book by, we will naturally seek covers that suggest the book will pertain to our interests. If and when we are able to read the blurb we realise we have been mistaken and that this book does not interest us at all.

But is this really a huge problem for us? How many consumers are ACTUALLY purchasing full Rick wardrobes because hip hop artists are endorsing his brand and then legitimately tricking us into thinking they're "one of us"? Be honest - it's easy to tell apart the guy who bought a pair of dunks because FASSHUN and someone committed to their gothic aesthetic.

Yes for some people, they will see some dark style, have a dabble and move onto the next thing.

But for others, they may discover something within themselves they never realised was there.

Sometimes we're so busy complaining about a little watering that we forget to anticipate what good might grow.
                      I wish this was true. But if I saw this as a mere trend I would probably wouldn't bother writing the article. What I (think I) see is not merely a trend but a thorough permeation of goth aesthetic, akin to that of punk.
                      Rick Owens is easily the most knocked off designer of the past five years. He's only now entering the pop culture mainstream. Like I said, goth is easy to appropriate because of its very distinct visual cues.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

MJRH/fncyths-
                        The band tee point brings us back to an old goth complaint. People wearing Misfits shirts.
                        I've heard and read many complaints of random people wearing Misfits shirts for various reasons. Possibly the accessibility, or the occurrence of seeing other people wear it therefore dubbing it cool. Regardless, many who do not listen to the Misfits wear their shirts. So what could be something to bond over, is unfortunately just a style. Now I'm not saying that you won't have anything in common with said person, but rather, there is trickery afoot, obviously unintentionally.
                        Comic Con is a good example. It's bigger than it ever was, but how many people are actually buying comics there? Very little. Unless you have rare editions there's not much reason for a comic dealer to go. Comic Con has been absorbed by the mass market and has become very commercial. Granted I'm still going, but I think you get my point? Like it's awesome how big it is now, but at what point does that alienate its original audience?

Coming back to ahn: something as simple as rick shoes or a band tee are what I would wish to be able to talk to someone about, however, that is not always the case.
                        As someone who doesn't wear SZ brands, short of CDG, I look for the more subtle cues like specific designer pieces or just overall looks regardless of designer. So for me, someone just wearing rick shoes and not the whole ensemble, would attract my attention because I can relate.
                        I do agree with your point that one can hope that they will find something inside themselves and further explore the culture. So overall it could have a positive impact by bringing in more like-minded individuals.

Last week I had a kid with a Run-D.M.C. shirt ask me where I got my shirt. The shirt in question was a Bruno Pieters piece. So if I saw someone wearing Bruno Pieters I would flip out (in a good way) because I would assume they're totally into the whole sustainability/transparency thing. Now this kid may have been, given that this was at a WholeFoods, but I doubt it. While I am glad that that kind of designer could attract an audience purely with aesthetic appeal, I'm just a bit selfish in that I would like people to relate with the message that the brand carries. Though I guess it could introduce people to the message that Bruno wants to convey, which ends up being a good thing...but that's all just speculative.

(Disclaimer: I think people should be able to wear whatever they want, but as someone who's already socially inept, walking up to strangers to try and talk about their apparel terrifies me enough as is.)

Faust, I apologize if I derailed the topic of the article a bit.
                        Last edited by Ahimsa; 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

I agree with kunk that this is the latest crop for the locusts to ravage and after they've sucked it dry they'll move on. Of course the question is what will be left when they're done? To borrow from Faust's article, just like the words punk and bohemian no longer mean anything, goth will likely follow. However, I don't think it will have a tremendously negative effect on the main designers in the niche because they were doing fine before the mainstream popularity, so they should be fine after (assuming of course they don't massively scale up their production - an admittedly big assumption given that some have already done so).

As far as making connections with a new set of people wearing the stuff, I don't see it happening. They might like what you wear or vice versa, but at the core they're really just fashionistas. I don't think many people here got along with fashionistas based purely on their clothing when they were wearing Thom Browne or D&G, so I don't see it happening now. I also don't think they'll find out anything new about themselves. They're driven to buy what Vogue and GQ tell them to, and if they buy into the new mainstream goth they'll be doing the same as always. To paraphrase ahn, the book hasn't changed, only the cover has.

EDIT:
                          Last week I had a kid with a Run-D.M.C. shirt ask me where I got my shirt. The shirt in question was a Bruno Pieters piece. So if I saw someone wearing Bruno Pieters I would flip out (in a good way) because I would assume they're totally into the whole sustainability/transparency thing. Now this kid may have been, given that this was at a WholeFoods, but I doubt it. While I am glad that that kind of designer could attract an audience purely with aesthetic appeal, I'm just a bit selfish in that I would like people to relate with the message that the brand carries. Though I guess it could introduce people to the message that Bruno wants to convey, which ends up being a good thing...but that's all just speculative.
                          I don't think it's at all selfish to wish that people who buy a certain brand relate with the message of that brand. I'm sure that's what all designers want because it represents a level of understanding of why they make what they do. In a perfect world, that would happen. Obviously it's naively Utopian to think that could ever be the case, but not selfish. After all, you're not condemning anyone for buying an item without knowing the designer's life story and philosophy.
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

MJRH/fncyths

While I am glad that that kind of designer could attract an audience purely with aesthetic appeal, I'm just a bit selfish in that I would like people to relate with the message that the brand carries.
                            You nailed it right here.

Comment

• ahn
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I wish this was true. But if I saw this as a mere trend I would probably wouldn't bother writing the article. What I (think I) see is not merely a trend but a thorough permeation of goth aesthetic, akin to that of punk.
                              Rick Owens is easily the most knocked off designer of the past five years. He's only now entering the pop culture mainstream. Like I said, goth is easy to appropriate because of its very distinct visual cues.
                              Are you worried that what you see will end up discrediting the genre? How do you see this affecting the genre (and it's adopters) in a broader sense?

Some people find appropriation disrespectful and offensive in any capacity regardless of intent but honestly I don't. Maybe I'm naive, but realistically I think I am just too tired to care.
                              some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎