Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove possible stain from CCP leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • destroymebaby
    • Aug 2012

Right. This is what my extensive, but so far only theoretical research on how to remove mold from leather has told me:

1. Rub vinegar on the moldy spots. This kills the mold spores.

2. Wash the spots with leather soap.

3. Let it dry.

4. Rub leather conditioner or leather oil on the washed parts.
    The morning is not enough.

Comment

• church of tiamat
      • Sep 2013

Are you 100% sure that this is mold? You might try it that way, it may work, but make sure that this spot won't be different color shade after that.

Comment

• destroymebaby
        • Aug 2012

No, not 100 % sure, but almost.

Nevertheless I'll talk to some leather dry cleaners today or tomorrow to hear their verdict.

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

I probably should have thought of this earlier, but do you have any acquaintances in a university biology lab? If so, maybe you could bring in the jacket and they could probably tell you for sure. Also, if they felt ambitious, they could scrape off a small amount, plate it on agar and see if it grows to form a similar smelling/looking colony. That is, just to make absolutely sure. Your description of the smell and the look of it, does brings back memories of my time in the culture labs.

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• destroymebaby
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
              I probably should have thought of this earlier, but do you have any acquaintances in a university biology lab? If so, maybe you could bring in the jacket and they could probably tell you for sure. Also, if they felt ambitious, they could scrape off a small amount, plate it on agar and see if it grows to form a similar smelling/looking colony. That is, just to make absolutely sure. Your description of the smell and the look of it, does brings back memories of my time in the culture labs.
              Nah, I have chosen my friends poorly since they are all "dancers/poets" or "actors/teachers". But I found the horse lovers version of SZ and it was there, among pictures of dirty saddles and bridles, I discovered pictures and descriptions of mold that resembled the stains on my jacket. Apparently it's a common problem in their community. A saddle that has been taken care of, rubbed with soap and leather oils are more inclined to mold when stored in a humid environment, than a piece of leather equipment that has been neglected, dried out and cracked.

Comment

• destroymebaby
                • Aug 2012

It can't be anything else but mold. There were two minimal spots in the back when I got the jacket, but now they have grown so that you can't miss them. Their location on the outer side matches the mold on the right inner side - it's exactly where this inner mold stain touches when the jacket is closed and lies down. The mold spores must have spread through the back lining and into the leather, slowly growing and now showing as these two spots in the back.

It's a living entity and a mean motherfucker of an entity.

Comment

• church of tiamat
                  • Sep 2013

So it's surely mold. Will you try using vinegar and leather soap? Better kill this shit before it spreads even more.

Comment

• destroymebaby
                    • Aug 2012

Yeah, maybe, but I have to talk to the seller first. Haven't heard from him in a while. And I don't want to risk destroying the leather if I choose to send it back.

Comment

• CAIN
                      • Jun 2013

This stains are known as fungus leather, I had the exact same problem on a pair of boots, I don't know if this information might help but to me was effective; I use some hydrant body cream like lubriderm... Rub it a small quantity for a couple of weeks and let it air a little , this happens to me when there is snow or heavy rain where I live... Let me know if this helps.

Ps. Try to resize your pictures ; )

Comment

• destroymebaby
                        • Aug 2012

Thanks for your input. I rubbed vinegar and leather soap on the stains - at some parts of the jacket they vanished without coming back (yet) and at some parts they came back after a week.

But I'll could for sure try Lubiderm or something like that too. For the record: What is it in the hydrant body cream that eliminates the fungus? And for how long do they keep the stains away?

And yes, they've changed the settings on the forum so my former normal sized pics now mutilated. I'll try to sort that out.

Comment

• Phantom
                          • Mar 2011

tea tree oil might help too

Comment

• destroymebaby
                            • Aug 2012

Thanks. All advices are appreciated.

Comment

Working...