• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael_Robartes
    • May 2013

Study of the history of designers work

Do not know where to put this

A lot of people on this forum would probably be the best people to ask as it seems many have taken an fashion orientated path in life and not just an interest in clothes so bare with me..

University application is coming up and I'm seriously considering studying philosophy and literature as a joint honours. But I'm sure there must be a vein of history of art that allows you to dedicate to studying and analysing previous works of designers. I'm awful at design and creation but particularly good at literature and history and therefore analysing and essay writing however often the content of the literature essays would not stimulate me anywhere near as much as it being about fashion. Many forum members advocate the idea that fashion can be taken to a intellectual and philosophical level so this must be contained in some respectable degree?

Anyone know
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Most likely you will have an uphill battle to fight when you bring this proposal to your philosophy/lit department. Fashion remains a bastard topic. But you'll be that much better if you succeed changing their minds ;-)

When I told my head of department back in the day that I'm going to write my MA thesis on fashion, he kind of scratched his head, mmmokayed, and sent me to Parsons to find an advisor. Then they did not know under which lib stud rubric to file it :-) We settled on sociology.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
      • May 2013

It's really upsetting, i've scoured the internet and decent Uni websites, i mean in a dream world to study an individual like Yamamoto's career would be a phenomenal undertaking and i don't see why this could not come under history of art? Even more amazing was the fact there's not even a lengthy study of ancient designers like chanel! i really thought there would be some way..

I really like your phrase 'bastard topic'; i suppose that'll always be the way due to the age old argument on here that is fashion more or less then art/philosophy/clothes etc

Supposing i did literature and philosophy would be interesting to end up perhaps going into the philosophy behind how people dress because i really believe there is something there (or a psychology)..

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

The philosophy of dress would be a fantastic topic. Or my favorite, semiology of dress.

But, anyway, you are going to have to convince your peers that fashion is art. That's not an easy task.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
          • May 2013

I am sure that is something , somewhere but i wouldn't want to fight an 'uphill battle' i just want to relocate my study topics to something that really intrigues me!

What do you do and how did you go into fashion, presuming, that you are the creator of SZ right?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Right.

I do StyleZeitgeist, which is equal parts:

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
              • May 2013

And you know some bloody cool emoticons that Star Wars one!

Anyway thanks for your time I guess you've answered my question that I can't from undergraduate level undertake anything g but afterwards i can do it under my own accord

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                • May 2013

i bump this for new information faust :D
                application season is coming to a close so it's my last chance pre-University to get involved

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I liked you better when you weren't trying to race to 100.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                    • Sep 2010

This thread is a good example of why i dislike the attitude of this forum. The pious manner of posting, but the lack of the vocab. and lack of the education to back it up. I'm not saying i am highly educated as in i only have a master's degree as my highest for of education. But i mean the reading comprehension is rather low on this forum, of course i am giving Europeans and Japanese posters a break (due to ESL).

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

a) I don't really understand what you are saying besides the general negative town of your post. SZ members don't know how to read? Or they don't make interesting posts? Or what?
                      b) Your sweeping generalizations aren't helping.
                      c) Why not take it upon yourself to improve whatever it is that irks you.

I hope this was well-written. I are a journalist and a masterz degree 2.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                        • May 2013

perhaps i should put more effort and content into my posting.. both to Faust and PaintedBlack_7,
                        i've only really been posting more because its christmas time.

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

Although many art historians/anthropologists are not interested in discussing fashion in depth, I think that questions along the lines of 'is fashion art' are largely things of the past. The work of acclaimed academics like Daniel Miller and Sophie Woodward has demonstrated how interesting and deeply relevant clothes are to our contemporary realities.

I completed my undergraduate degree recently in Art History, and all my major assignments were about individual garments or the output contemporary fashion designers. For example, my dissertation was an examination of the way Ann Demeulemeester clothes are experienced when worn. I received an OK amount of support from my university (mainly because no one in the department knew what I was going on about) and I was serious enough that even the most conservative markers thought my work was worth a first. When I started my English was mediocre at best, I had no clue what critical thinking was. So if I can do it then everybody can.

So, (Western) fashion is indeed not very fashionable, but academics are becoming less preoccupied with strict canons of the past concerning what is acceptable. I'm sure that if you go to a decent university your advisor/professors would be happy to help you shape your research towards specific practices and fields. After all, the fun thing about humanities is that if you work hard enough, you get to write about the things that interest you.
                          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

Check out this thread as well.
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Glennphilips
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2022

In conclusion, when shopping for an electric smoker, consider the size, temperature control, construction, ease of use, price, and brand reputation. By taking these factors into account, you can find the perfect electric smoker to satisfy your smoking needs and enjoy delicious, smoky meats all year round. https://drelectricsmoker.com/best-be...ectric-smoker/

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎