Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Rappers Please Sit The F*ck Down When It Comes To Fashion Design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Picasso,

there is a complete difference between being confident and outspoken as opposed to being one of the greatest megalomaniacs of Modern times.
    Neither Kanye, P Diddy, Russel Simmons or any of these people are designers.

As a designer I dont want to become a Rapper/ Singer and i dont think its at all credible with rappers, NBA players and the like having clothing lines..............
    Kanye needs to shut up, smart people know when to speak and when to keep quiet and of late he just makes himself look like a complete ass rather than someone smart of gifted.

If you are good at anything, just do it and leave people in awe rather than continually yapping away at how good or how big you are. At a certain point is just becomes stupid and he seems to have gone across that line at Usain Bolt speed
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ironman View Post
      hurricane08 also said OR move and work under the directions of a fashion house. you gotta learn somewhere.

in what way do black designers not get a chance? off the top of my head, Olivier Rousteing, Ozwald Boateng, Eric Lebon, Zam Barrett?. i don't really pay attention i am sure there are many more. i don't know about you but i look at the clothes not the colour of the skin of the designer

and where exactly did he come from that it garners your understanding? he was middle class and his mom was a university professor

like others are saying, his ego is annoying
      Using a few people who are the exceptions does not negate this reality

fashion for years have been scarcely littered with one or two black designers who are always there.................Like Stephen Burrows in the 60/70's. Patrick Kelly in the 80's and people like Byron Lars, Patrick Robinson, Lawrence Steele and others in the 90's.

However you will never see a black designer reaching the dizzying heights of a McQueen, a Ghesquire or Albaz at Lanvin.
      the simple reality isn't so much a matter of race, but of a certain kind of profile in which rays place a role but isn't the only thing.

Personally, I dont care............people have to find their own way, and thankfully I with the help of places like SZ, and of people who are able to look beyond my color and origin to see my talent have found some measure of success. i also know that what has happened in this Niche I am a part of is by no means reflective of mainstream fashion...................anyone who would think that is only fooling themselves
      Last edited by zamb; 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hurricane08 View Post
        I managed to watch all the part 2

First of all ,he's not a rock star .

Second ,about confidence

So Mr West should first graduate an art school or at least move and work under the directions of a fashion house ,so someone someday will really appreciate his work .

Third ,i think he should stop talking and screaming about what others do and focus on his real job,which is not rock for sure ,not even a 80's poser .
        But, but, he had an internship at VOGUE!!!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
          I think where whats frustrates him is the fact that he can't get a chance. What does school have to do with anything? If I'm not mistaken Rick Owen didn't even know how to sew when he started designing. Look at him now.

Problem is a black designer won't get that chance. Like he said "All we can make is T's". Few black designers have been given the opportunities, everything they make is considered "urban wear". And in regards to his reference to rock, I think it's more-so about the effect that he's had on our culture. Where Stephen sprouse was basing everything of rock marc jacobs is doing the same thing with hip-hop now.

----Edit

I'm an avid defender of Kanye, mainly because I can understand where he came from.
          You are very much mistaken there.

Not to mention the absurdity of talking about a mega-successful rapper not having a chance. I'd take his chances over most people's any day.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            You are very much mistaken there.

Not to mention the absurdity of talking about a mega-successful rapper not having a chance. I'd take his chances over most people's any day.
            backed. rick started off sewing knock offs in a rank LA warehouse. i dont care how big someones ego is and how great their ideas they gleaned from undeservingly sitting front row and keeping up on all the latest blogs may be, if they cant sew then bullocks to them. kanye is a dickhead who throws the race card down every hand. he's redundant at best. the only thing that has kept him relevant is his megalomania.

Comment

• Picasso
              • Jul 2013

I'm partially right.
              When he started he had to go to a trade school to learn how to make patterns and what not. (So prior to that he had limited knowledge)
              Last edited by Picasso; 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• KodakII
                • Sep 2008

But he still honed his craft. Nothing was given to him because he said he was great.

Comment

• Picasso
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by KodakII View Post
                  But he still honed his craft. Nothing was given to him because he said he was great.
                  Who's to say Kanye isn't doing the same? We don't know how long he spent working with Louis Vuitton or Jean Touitou so to make such assumptions is absurd.

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Who's to say Kanye isn't doing the same? We don't know how long he spent working with Louis Vuitton or Jean Touitou so to make such assumptions is absurd.
                    such assumptions are not absurd

If Kanye wants to be a designer, let him go to fashion School for at least two years and intern with a reputable designer then design the clothes himself, sew a few samples at least before we start taking him seriously........

this whole discussion is ridiculous.......Rappers and singers are not designers and only get onto fashion because they have a huge fan base that they think will allow them to cash in easily and also help to perpetuate their fame

then you have greedy businessmen who a lot of times Pony up the money for this kind of nonsense......

Comment

• Picasso
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by KodakII View Post
                      Originally posted by zamb View Post
                      such assumptions are not absurd

If Kanye wants to be a designer, let him go to fashion School for at least two years and intern with a reputable designer then design the clothes himself, sew a few samples at least before we start taking him seriously........

this whole discussion is ridiculous.......Rappers and singers are not designers and only get onto fashion because they have a huge fan base that they think will allow them to cash in easily and also help to perpetuate their fame

then you have greedy businessmen who a lot of times Pony up the money for this kind of nonsense......
                      So only you can define a designer? It HAS to be that way? Funny didn't know you guys where the authority in design. Life's about getting from A---->B how you get there is up to you. I could care less if he never goes to fashion school if his designs are good then so be it.

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

I'm partially right.
                        When he started he had to go to a trade school to learn how to make patterns and what not. (So prior to that he had limited knowledge)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv071...eEkNKiirkFcMcg

Well, at least you are admitting you are 50% wrong. Now only half way to go.
                        sain't

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

So only you can define a designer? It HAS to be that way? Funny didn't know you guys where the authority in design. Life's about getting from A---->B how you get there is up to you. I could care less if he never goes to fashion school if his designs are good then so be it.
                          it seems like you have a lot to learn about what it actually means to be a designer and to have integrity.

I can actually somewhat agree with you here - not everyone has to go the traditional route, but if you want to skip it, you better have great talent (like Rick who you mentioned), which Kanye more than obviously doesn't.

The comparison to Rick Owens who didn't know this and that when he started makes no sense whatsoever. He learned and succeeded and became a great designer, simple as that. He didn't try to buy his way in to fashion. He didn't claim to be great before doing anything.

Again, saying Kanye isn't getting a chance is absurd, he has every chance there is. He designed, or rather bought himself, a crappy, derivative, uninteresting collection. He collaborated with APC to create the most unoriginal crap possible. He designed a sneaker for which he most likely chose the colors for and which sold because they had his name on them. he can get every chance he wants to prove himself, but all he is proving is that he is not a good designer in any way.
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Bson
                            • May 2013

can we put a nail in Kanye's coffin (plus Kim- save baby North and change her name)

A little more perspective on Kanye's true aspirations, just in case anyone missed out:

And he had promised them so much, telling the fashion director of one magazine, for example, that design was more important to him than music, and that he planned, with his runway debut, to “change the course of fashion."
                            From NYTimes Oct. 2011: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/fa...cZcqpja+P3kM3w

Anyone who wishes to take this absurdity of a man with any seriousness is cursed with impaired cognitive skills like the majority of his fan base. Megalomaniac is right. Zamb, I really appreciate your posts in this thread . I liken the whole idea of celebrities creating fashion to a musician like Andre Rieu. Though they are charlatans, 'fashion' I have to keep reminding myself is not always what I wish it to be. The good is what keeps us coming back

Comment

• Picasso
                              • Jul 2013

Well that's why I'm here. Lets see if I can learn what it means to be a designer.

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

all kanye has to do is design for and dress his baby mama and her family to gain exposure. most fledgling designers would kill for that opportunity.(CHANCE).... of course maybe the k klan has better taste......yeah right

Last edited by endorphinz; 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎