Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Rappers Please Sit The F*ck Down When It Comes To Fashion Design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
    I think where whats frustrates him is the fact that he can't get a chance. What does school have to do with anything? If I'm not mistaken Rick Owen didn't even know how to sew when he started designing. Look at him now.

Problem is a black designer won't get that chance. Like he said "All we can make is T's". Few black designers have been given the opportunities, everything they make is considered "urban wear". And in regards to his reference to rock, I think it's more-so about the effect that he's had on our culture. Where Stephen sprouse was basing everything of rock marc jacobs is doing the same thing with hip-hop now.

----Edit

I'm an avid defender of Kanye, mainly because I can understand where he came from.
    So only you can define a designer? It HAS to be that way? Funny didn't know you guys where the authority in design. Life's about getting from A---->B how you get there is up to you. I could care less if he never goes to fashion school if his designs are good then so be it.
    Fine, call Kanye a designer if you want to. The fact still remains he hired Louise Goldin, a designer, to bring his vision to life.

Kanye is not struggling. If he wanted a successful line, there is little doubt in my mind that he could have had one. However, his incessant need to be accepted by white Europeans stalled any attempts at success. He wanted to cater to an audience that didn't accept him in the first place.

In this regard, nothing is stopping Kanye; Kanye is stopping Kanye.

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Brilliantly put, KodakII! It's kind of like fighting to get back into a relationship in which you felt rejected, only in this case, West never actually had one to begin with with that demographic. How much validation do you really need?
      sain't

Comment

• KodakII
        • Sep 2008

^Exactly. I don't feel bad for him; he's choosing not to cater to his established audience as if they are not good enough.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by KodakII View Post
          Fine, call Kanye a designer if you want to. The fact still remains he hired Louise Goldin, a designer, to bring his vision to life.

Kanye is not struggling. If he wanted a successful line, there is little doubt in my mind that he could have had one. However, his incessant need to be accepted by white Europeans stalled any attempts at success. He wanted to cater to an audience that didn't accept him in the first place.

In this regard, nothing is stopping Kanye; Kanye is stopping Kanye.
          I believe her husband is his manager, correct? Or something along those lines.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dstylez
            • Jun 2013

RT
            Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            how doesn't he get a chance though? I think he is in a position where he has every chance to do whatever he wants and a million people will like it no matter what it is. he did a runway presentation under his own name, that was a chance to show something, but it was a total train wreck even though apparently he didn't even design much of it.

I'd say its pretty obvious he wants to do "design" because nowadays its cool to be a designer and branch out. Thats why you see musicians doing all these collaborations, I would say there are two reasons for it - its either about money or doing something cool.
            Exactly. He's going about it all wrong. The bottom line for me is, he's just not very good at designing clothes or I'm not into his aestehtic.Maybe he's just trying feed his aesthetic to the wrong crowd.Trying to jump ahead by networking, name dropping or associating himself with the "who's who" of the fashion industry will only take you so far, until talent has to surface to carry you over. He can show up at the top designer fashion shows YSL, Givenchy, Rick Owens be friends with them all he wants but that doesn't mean you are now part of this realm. It just doesn't work that way, you have to show talent and prove it for consistent amount of time.Let the people decide and not you (Kanye) force feed the people and try to convince how good you are . If people like it, people like it, that is all.

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

ewwwwwww i didnt know that twats from here . or i guess aurora which is kinda far from chicago but still , gross . i couldnt remember what his clothes looked like so i just looked them up . *cough* blows

Comment

• quiet noise
                Banned
                • Dec 2008

Kanye West. The man who claimed "American Psycho" inspired him to make an album because , and i quote "It changed my perspective on life and the mind. Imagine being a serial killer and finding out that you had only imagined all the murders? it blew my mind"

He even went on to make a mini documentary about the movie, pointing out details in his Batemans life that apparently drove him crazy and imagine that he kills people (his coworker being gay was apparently one of them)

its amazing how noone in the production team, or the network that decided to show the crap had read the book and told mister West that he got it all wrong and the murders did in fact take place.

What makes it even funnier is that if Patrick Bateman existed and lived in this age, he would probably be a big fan of Kanye.

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

I accidentally started a Kanye thread.
                  sain't

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

Well that's why I'm here. Lets see if I can learn what it means to be a designer.
                    Wait. You wouldn't happen to BE Kanye West, would you, Picasso?
                    sain't

Comment

• quiet noise
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2008

i would be fine with kanye becoming a designer if he put effot in it to learn the craft himself instead of hiring people to make stuff for him.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                        Wait. You wouldn't happen to BE Kanye West, would you, Picasso?
                        OMG! Hello, Mr. Kanye.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tornaremavencer
                          • Aug 2012

I really think one of the comments under his BBC rant sums it up.

YOU REALISE PEOPLE IN FASHION DONT LIKE HIS CLOTHING BECAUSE THIS:

RICK OWENS IS INSPIRED BY 90S STREET GANGS AND GLAM ROCK

RAF SIMONS IS INSPIRED BY "THE BOY", ANARCHIST MOVEMENT AND BDSM GEAR

RICCARDO TISCI IS INSPIRED BY ORTHODOX ICONOCLASTIC ART AND AMERICANA

ANN DEMUELEMEESTER INSPIRED BY 18-19TH CENTURY SILHOUETTES

ISSEY MIYAKE INSPIRED BY TRADITIONAL JAPANESE SILHOUETTES AND TECHNICAL FABRICS

KANYE WEST INSPIRED BY RAF SIMONS, RICCARDO TISCI, PHOEBE PHILO, ANN DEMUELEMEESTER

BEST THING KANYE COULD DO FOR HIS FASHION IS TO STOP SHOPPING AND BEING IN LOVE WITH "NOW"

HIS MUSIC IS GOOD CAUSE HE SAMPLES OTIS, NINA SIMONE, OMEGA, GARY GLITTER AND NOT JAMES BLAKE, VOLCANO CHOIR, ASAP ROCKY AND DRAKE

LANVINS MOOD BOARD IS FILLED WITH PICTURES OF MOROCCAN TRADERS AND TURBANS AND SHIT - NOT PICS OF RAF SIMONS LATEST COLLECTION

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

These days Raf Simons is inspired by champagne and caviar.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by d'avant-garde

Music/Fashion has always come hand in hand. Mostly from rappers doing the repping. There's nothing wrong with artists expanding to express their art in other ways. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
                              Yes. Because there is so much "art" to putting your name on a $120 white t-shit that you
                              didn't even design. Give me a break, kid. And yes, I said t-shit.

p.s. Rappers don't do their own "repping". Agents + PR do.
                              sain't

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

This thread needs a break.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎