Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Rappers Please Sit The F*ck Down When It Comes To Fashion Design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuE
    • Jan 2013

Kanye went on Jimmy Kimmel the other night, expanding/re-iterating some of the points from his earlier infamous interview on BBC.

It's provocative of Kanye to declare, "we culture." Will there be a Hip-hop fashion exhibition at the Met, 30 years from now, like there is for Punk? Is Kanye pushing for a deal with the likes of LVHM the right way to pursue that legacy?

p.s. fwiw In the BBC interview, Kanye insists that he learned fashion while in Paris and "put in 10,000 hours"...
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Crowzer
      • Feb 2011

Five reasons why fashion industry should take Kanye West seriously, by GQ.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I think there was a slight mistake, he must've meant that he put 10,000 hours into trying to explain and validate himself.

The only reason for the fashion industry or any design industry to take him seriously should be him being able to show any sort of talent in the field. Everything else is bullshit.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• pregnantbob
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
          Five reasons why fashion industry should take Kanye West seriously, by GQ.
          I actually agreed with a lot of it... except #4... how is four months at Fendi doing the hard yards?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Can this thread die already? Who gives a shit?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• several_girls
              • Nov 2010

My $0.02. He's a poor public speaker: his thoughts spool out disorganized and he is rarely succinct, but this does not make him a bad artist. Most don't have the patience to follow and interpret what he's trying to express. I love his music, and tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, so here's what I take from this mess:

He's saying he has succeeded everywhere in his life where people have told him he wouldn't. People told him he would never make it as a music producer, then he broke out with a #1 single for Jay-Z. They told him he couldn't rap, then his first album debuts as the #2 spot, eventually going double platinum. And now people tell him he can't do fashion. He offered some examples of his success in fashion design so far, then expressed his frustration with people who did not, or will not give him a chance, literally (in terms of business) or critically. Is this really such a far-fetched point, that he needs to "sit down?"

My only criticism is that he wants to do what the likes of Rick or Raf have done/are doing, but they have worked at least 10, 15 years to get where they are now--both artistically and commercially. Even Rick said of his early runway shows that he did not understand what he was doing and felt embarrassed about them upon reflecting on how far he had come. Unless Kanye gives up his career in music and invests totally in fashion for the rest of his life, I do not think we will see him catch up with his ambition.

However, I am less cynical about Kanye's interest in fashion. Others say it is for the sake of image, or just a way to make money, etc. I think his interest in art and design in general is genuine, how else can you explain the curatorial richness of his music and album art? Gil Scott-Heron, George Condo, Aphex Twin, Takashi Murakami, Can, Omega, Peter Saville... These names might be old hat to SZ, but compare what Kanye has done with any of his peers. Look at the credits of MBDTF! If one was motivated purely and cynically by money and self-aggrandizement, there are easier ways.

Finally, I have a small disagreement with a point brought up earlier in the thread: Ellis left the reality of the killings in American Psycho ambiguous, and there is a reason beyond "it's up to the reader," this is the case. Here is a link to one of the few interviews Ellis talks about the murders. There it is, not only from the horse's mouth, but there are plenty of details in the book itself that suggest ambiguity, if not outright fantasy.

There is more on my mind, but this is probably more than enough to chew on.

Comment

• Lane
                • Aug 2010

lol, kanye just spit out the number 10,000 because robert greene says its the arbitrary number needed for mastery

Comment

• grapefruitpop
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                  hurricane08 also said OR move and work under the directions of a fashion house. you gotta learn somewhere.

in what way do black designers not get a chance? off the top of my head, Olivier Rousteing, Ozwald Boateng, Eric Lebon, Zam Barrett?. i don't really pay attention i am sure there are many more. i don't know about you but i look at the clothes not the colour of the skin of the designer

and where exactly did he come from that it garners your understanding? he was middle class and his mom was a university professor

like others are saying, his ego is annoying
                  Are you Olivier Rousteings long lost father? Funny how you categorize him as black when he himself said he is unsure of his heritage.

Comment

• the breaks
                    • Sep 2007

If the argument is whether "black designers get a chance", it doesn't matter what his exact heritage is. In the eyes of a bigot he would probably be black.
                    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• RRWW
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                      Zane Lowe chats to Kanye West in the 2nd of a special 4 part interview. Contains the strongest possible language.Catch Part 3 tomorrow

Can admit he comes of arrogant but how else can you succeed without having confidence.
                      He appears incredibly frustrated by his lack of 'backing' in regards to his 'creativity' in other areas.

Still feel his attitude stinks though, that's just a instantaneous feeling I get.

When he mentions 'I am a god, I just told you! Would it be better if I called myself a n****?'

Then goes on about 'classism', I was yelling at my iPhone!

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

^^Worst interview ever. He just spouts complete bullshit like a Southern preacher. "Let's talk real loud and everyone will listen!"

The title of this thread should be: "Can Rappers Please Sit the Fuck Down and Douse Themselves in Gasoline and Hold their Lighters up and Sacrifice Themselves to Fashion" A crispy, crunchy Kanye is much more useful than the one in that interview.

Comment

• Castor
                          • Nov 2009

A$AP Rocky.

Originally posted by DRRRK
                          The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

CastorThat particular photo in a thread titled Can Rappers Please Sit The Fuck Down.. is kind of perfect.
                            Last edited by interest1; 11-16-2013, 06:55 PM.
                            sain't

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                              CastorThat particular photo in a thread entitled Can Rappers Please Sit The Fuck Down.. is kind of perfect.
                              I thought it was apropo$.
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

No one posting new Kayne fodder for ridicule?
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎