X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Verdandi
    • Mar 2012

Hedi Slimane vs Colette

The original wwd article is locked for non-subscribers so the fashionista version will have to suffice.

Saint Laurent’s Hedi Slimane isn’t the kind of designer you’d want to mess with–he takes his designs and the control of the fashion house he helms very seriously. Who could forget that infamous open letter to Cathy Horyn?

But Slimane’s ire doesn’t stop at fashion critics–and now, Parisian boutique Colette is learning the hard way. For fall, Colette carried about 300 “Ain’t Laurent Without Yves” parody t-shirts. Slimane, unsurprisingly, wasn’t amused–and Colette creative director Sarah Andelman has reached out to WWD to go public with her side of the feud.

It turns out Slimane and YSL hit back at Colette–hard. “We have been excommunicated,” Andelman told the trade. Saint Laurent’s commercial director first contacted her requesting the removal of the shirts from the online shop. Andelmen complied, selling the remainder in the boutique. Then, on September 25, CEO Francesca Bellettini sent Andelmen a letter “accusing her of selling counterfeit products that ‘seriously damaged’ the YSL brand and confirming the end of their business relationship.”

So here’s how YSL has iced out the French boutique: First, it canceled Colette’s entire spring 2014 order totaling over $285,738 at wholesale. Andelman was also uninvited from the Saint Laurent spring fashion show on Monday. And, in a move that has us wondering, “Can they even do that?,” it’s banned Colette from selling a recent issue of indie mag Document covered by artist Joe Goode and photographed by Slimane. (Seriously, can they do that?)

The trade points out that Colette has previously sold other parody tees, like “Céline Dion” and “Homiés,” as well as those “Karl Who?” tees, without retribution from designers of those houses. And it’s not like Colette is the only boutique to stock the popular tees alongside Saint Laurent–WWD specifically names Browns, Selfridges, and Luisa Via Roma–which, so far, haven’t come forward with similar stories of being punished.

Andelman added, without naming names, that Saint Laurent isn’t the only major label that’s become more controlling–some have reportedly asked her to remove Instagram photos of their product. It seems like it’s starting to threaten the independence of boutiques to carry the product they wish to provide to their customers. And, unlike banning a critic like Horyn, cutting off relationships with valuable buyers–in 15 years Colette has bought over $3.9 million worth of YSL at wholesale–could seriously affect business.

As Andelman asks WWD, “Should we accept fashion dictatorship?”

YSL did not comment on the story.
    via http://fashionista.com/2013/10/paris...limanes-wrath/
    lavender menace
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

One order is quarter of a mil? Not too shabby.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dstylez
      • Jun 2013

Slimane needs to get in with the times.Can't control everything..

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
      The original wwd article is locked for non-subscribers so the fashionista version will have to suffice.

via http://fashionista.com/2013/10/paris...limanes-wrath/

Comment

• pregnantbob
        • May 2011

I am genuinely curious about French copyright law with regard to the ban on selling that magazine... "are they allowed to do that?"

Has there been news of any backlash again Hedi for this? Seems rather unfair or the whole story isn't being told. Cancelling that big an order and potentially killing off a 15 year relationship for the sake of 300 t shirts?

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

The bigger question is: who actually goes upstairs at Colette anymore?

All the fun stuff's on the main level.

And if the store went bye-bye, would anyone really notice? Care?
          sain't

Comment

• pregnantbob
            • May 2011

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
            The bigger question is: who actually goes upstairs at Colette anymore?

All the fun stuff's on the main level.

And if the store went bye-bye, would anyone really notice? Care?
            So the place isn't as iconic as they want you to think they are?

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pregnantbob View Post
              So the place isn't as iconic as they want you to think they are?
              I go upstairs, and I'm never alone. It's packed most times I've been there, including about 3 weeks ago, off fashion piste. Not sure how that's a bigger question in this context than slp being, and acting like, a bag of wank, but i suppose you can't beat a bit of colette bashing.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

The two deserve each other.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

A bag of wank! I loved that.

You're right, it is hard not to bash when the place should just sell tickets to the herds of oglers for that chance glance at all the crap hanging from their army of mannequins. It's a complete tourist trap any day of the week.

Back on topic, what YSL is doing is straight-up old school bullying, corporate style. Sure, every company wants to protect its public image, but when they go to such lengths, it should tell you that what they are trying to protect is already damaged, and thus, damage control follows.

YSL's recent image revamp to acquire a younger audience/clientele by projecting rockstar-cool has proven an embarrassing faux pas (even if the house is making $$$ for the time being), and the heavy-handed lashing out at a retailer who dare touch upon it with humor is a very tactical way of sending a clear message to ALL outlets to cease & desist. By making an example out of Colette, that message gets heard loud and clear, far and wide.
                  It's the classic Hit 'em where it hurts – their pocketbook approach. And it works every time.

Worse, by Colette crying foul to the media, it only plays into YSL's hands and helps the label deliver that message. Ironically, it does nothing for Colette – or their bottom line.
                  But then again, there will always be the tourists...
                  sain't

Comment

• messenoire
                    • Nov 2009

this absolutely makes sense. imagine if chanel acted upon those profiting from the use of their logo to sell their garbage wares? i am not a fan of hedi's saint laurent or the extremes they've taken this particular matter to but i applaud them for taking a proactive stance in some back woods yokel selling products based on the work saint laurent has worked so painstakingly hard to make into something substantial. retailers should not embrace people trying to ride on the coattails of others no matter how kitsche/cute the slogan may be. it's crap. that 5ive brand that antonioli sells that just rips off a houses logo but upside down or in some other cutesy way is just garbage. of course it is absolutely bullying upon saint laurents part and taken to extremes but retailers who apparently order a quarter million wholesale should know better than to stock things like that. i'd never expect to find a "carol christian who?" shirt at atelier because they "know better" and so should colette. i am not too familiar with their personal business model but i detest tees that rip off designers to make a quick buck. there should be a larger emphasis on retailer responsibility when it comes to protecting brand integrity if you are planning on retailing hokey items next to lux wares.

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by messenoire View Post

this absolutely makes sense. imagine if chanel acted upon those profiting from the use of their logo to sell their garbage wares? i am not a fan of hedi's saint laurent or the extremes they've taken this particular matter to but i applaud them for taking a proactive stance in some back woods yokel selling products based on the work saint laurent has worked so painstakingly hard to make into something substantial. retailers should not embrace people trying to ride on the coattails of others no matter how kitsche/cute the slogan may be. it's crap. that 5ive brand that antonioli sells that just rips off a houses logo but upside down or in some other cutesy way is just garbage. of course it is absolutely bullying upon saint laurents part and taken to extremes but retailers who apparently order a quarter million wholesale should know better than to stock things like that.
                      i'd never expect to find a "carol christian who?" shirt at atelier because they "know better" and so should colette. i am not too familiar with their personal business model but i detest tees that rip off designers to make a quick buck. there should be a larger emphasis on retailer responsibility when it comes to protecting brand integrity if you are planning on retailing hokey items next to lux wares.
                      I'd wear one and so would every employee at the store.
                      sain't

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Notice I didn't say in the store.
                        sain't

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Interest1, I think, unfortunately, that SL has been VERY successful with Hedi. We don't know the numbers yet, of course. What we on SZ have seen were intelligent commentators voicing their unfavorable opinion of Hedi's work. However, look at any September issue, and it's ALL about SL. Vogue US, Vogue Paris, and on down. And their readers only want to be told what to buy. Asians are eating that shit up with a soup ladle. It's a testament that mainstream fashion continues to be vacuous and fatuous.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                            Notice I didn't say in the store.
                            exactly!

Comment

• Dreavan
                              • Mar 2012

It seems that people who have heard about that story try to reduce the impact that the decision of selling those shits really is.

I mean SL is well known for being really corporate, to control its image and artistic choices and it makes one of the best strenghts of the company.

I would think the same if SL had a collab with H&M and stuff but that's not the case and it won't happen ... for sure.

I know how SL is running the business since Hedi Slimane took the place and he does it really well. He knew it would take time to convince people to accept how the brand is going and in order to make that time going faster, he kept working on many ways to catch the attention of medias.
                              Finally, more than just getting time, he went very successful with the media and the buyers follow the rules.

Only thing is that prices ridiculously increased.

So yes, Colette had to think about that before to start selling those 15€ margin T-shirts. I would react the same way if it was my responsibility to drive the brand + I don't think that Colette is really important for SL :/

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎