X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • k3mist
    • Apr 2013

The role of fashion illustration

Well was having a good conversation/discussion with a friend earlier.
    talking about the role of fashion illustration.
    before I say what we thought, id like to pose the questions we had and see if there are better/different answers.

1) is there even a need for an illustration in the 21st century, considering fashion illustration was only prominent when photography and digital media was not existing/favored.

2) should fashion illustration in the 21st century be categorised as a fashion topic or a fine arts skill.

reason why we were discussing this is because of this irony of students in a fashion school being judged on their capability on drawing faces well.

basically what i want to know is do designers use illustration as a way to personally communicate textile/pattern drafting qualities or are these illustrations used to communicate to other people.
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

I'm slightly surprised that illustration (by hand, and not computer application) is actually even still on the schedule in Apparel Design programs today.

I don't know how mandatory it is nowadays, but when I was studying fashion design at an
    arts college years ago, it was central. It went way beyond just the sketching of one's eventual creation. We were graded on our ability to draw, with accuracy, every part of the human body, not just the whole. Heads, facial features, legs, feet, hands.. Hands were always
    (and still are) somewhat tough for me; the rest was cake in comparison.

The designers I personally know don't use computer programs to "communicate" textile qualities. They communicate with their actual voice directly to the small mills what they are seeking, often by showing swatches of similar fabrics that they are seeking to produce/use.

I don't see how an illustration (of any sort) can accurately communicate texture. Some things, especially in the artisanal arena, need to be judged with the human eye and felt with the human hand.

Technology is a wonderful thing and a must in every designers work to some degree or another. But it isn't everything. Nor should it ever be.
    sain't

Comment

• i-d-g
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
      2) should fashion illustration in the 21st century be categorised as a fashion topic or a fine arts skill.
      I feel that fashion illustration should be considered more of the latter. I'm in the process of creating a portfolio to apply for undergrad courses in menswear. All of the universities want to see collages, fashion illustrations, and sketches. There is very little focus on the actual clothing that you can produce. I understand that communicating ideas is essential, but I think that fashion illustration and producing garments are two completely separate practices.
      “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• k3mist
        • Apr 2013

interest1 im as shocked, which school were u from.
        i-d-g i agree, and im not sure how much 'potential' you can see from a excellent or poor illustration.

anyone from big fashions schools here? FIT/CSM/ect ect

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎