• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion Talks in Antwerp

I guess this is coming out of the anonymity closet of sorts, but I interviewed Walter Van Beirendonck as part of the Fashion Talks in Antwerp last week, which you can now see on video in the link below. You can also see a bunch of other presentations - some of them are good, especially the interview with Tim Blanks.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • kuriz
    • Nov 2010

Thank you for the interview it had some very interesting topics.

This question is coming from someone who have never been to a fashion show before, but at around 22:15-22:40 W.V.Beirendonck talk about what a fashion show can do and that pictures don't do it justice in terms of dynamic and energy. In your and others experience, is it true that there's such a big difference between what me and a lot others see when we watch pictures from the runway and the showroom and what feelings goes through when seeing it in person? I mean, is some of the message from the designer being lost in between those two happenings?

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

In short, yes. A lot gets lost.
      Just compare it to the difference between seeing a concert and seeing a picture of the same concert and it should be much more apparent. Or seeing a film in a cinema versus seeing it at home.

A show is always to some extent a spectacle and as such is designed to be experienced in the moment, rather than through flat images. Music, lighting, movement, the collective experience and maybe most importantly the 3 dimensional nature of real life set it miles apart from style.com shots.
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post

In short, yes. A lot gets lost.
        Just compare it to the difference between seeing a concert and seeing a picture of the same concert and it should be much more apparent. Or seeing a film in a cinema versus seeing it at home.

A show is always to some extent a spectacle and as such is designed to be experienced in the moment, rather than through flat images. Music, lighting, movement, the collective experience and maybe most importantly the 3 dimensional nature of real life set it miles apart from style.com shots.
        This accounts for much of my barking over the last Rick show.

If ever there was a 'You had to be there' rationale for a show, that show would be it.
        sain't

Comment

• jolie007
          • Nov 2013

Love him

I love Walter Van Beirendonck :)

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

E - from your first question, on, I noticed Walter had quite a lot to say (which is great, of course; the last thing people want are just 'yes or no' answers). He answers many questions within each question. I started wondering, after his lengthy replies, if that at any point threw you off. I'd probably be scrambling to compose my next question if I was in your seat.

For fun, an early runway capture from Mr. Van Beirendonck's FW 2001 show.

sain't

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

It wasn't easy and definitely took a lot of concentration. Phew!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Yes. It's one thing to interview one-on-one, and entirely another with a sea of faces staring at you. Pretty big audience. Well done!
                sain't

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  I guess this is coming out of the anonymity closet of sorts, but I interviewed Walter Van Beirendonck as part of the Fashion Talks in Antwerp last week, which you can now see on video in the link below. You can also see a bunch of other presentations - some of them are good, especially the interview with Tim Blanks.

http://www.fashiontalks.be/nl/home
                  Late on this but quite interesting. One way to see it is (amongst many) is Faust bouncing his ideas on fashion changes of the last three decades against a designer who has his own opinions on what happened and will not just quietly acquiesce, this exchange of views bringing it from what is often a monologue (interviews can be tedious) to a dialogue.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎