• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

Graduate Jewellery

Hey everyone.
    The time has finally come - I am just about to graduate and will participate in my first group exhibition (our graduate exhibition, ALLEGORY) in just under two weeks!

I thought I would share some of my works in the one thread even though there is quite a mix of pieces.

I don't have all of my photos yet but here is the first set of works I can share.

Darkness Falls Upon the Day Neckpiece and Rings.

This series features individually hand-carved chain links designed to simulate non-repetitive deformation. Each altered link features a unique decaying texture. It's a very big piece - each altered link is 5cm long (2") and it weighs over half a kilogram.

Due to this extreme weight, it was constructed out of a combination of galvanised steel and bronze, then plated in lacquered black nickel.

It was created over a 12 week period in response to a chosen series of words (such as a poem, lyric, quote, etc) - I chose the song lyric
    Where I see us in far away skies, I could not say.
    Where I am lost, the darkness falls upon the day.

by Oceansize.

These pieces were created with more of an exploratory art/exhibition based focus. They are all one-offs - although one day I would like to make them again they would not be the same.

I will post some more works soon so please check back
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.
  • keilani
    • Jan 2012

Amazing detail, would love to see how it looks on hands and wrists.
    Great work.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Congratulations on your graduation and this looks brilliant!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

Thank you so much :) It's very exciting and also quite scary to be sent off into the industry without being able to rely on having your mentors there, guiding you both artistically and technically but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Here is an out-take from the shoot I did recently of some of my collection work.

It is not so easy to see the detail on the model unfortunately, but you get a better idea of the dimensions.

Comment

• ahn
          • Jul 2012

A day early before the opening of my Graduation Exhibition, I am so excited to share my collection on SZ :)

Crafted by hand and combining precious materials with those of scientific origins, the collection is my response to the haunting beautiful of dark and mountainous landscapes. Girl by blackened waters and crowned in snow, these rugged terrains are imbued with poetic desolation and natural austerity. Taking cues from the majesty of geological, glacial and volcanic mountain structures, the works are small-scale studies of shape, texture and pigment. The collection is manufactured in Melbourne from sterling silver, leather and hand-cast resin. Due to the hand-dying process, each resin crystal mountain displays unique pigment characteristics.

Ablation Earrings

Anthracite Bangle

Anthracite Ring

Sérac Ring

Elcho Falling Ring

Gneiss Bangle

Nadir Pendant

Arête Pendant

Serpent's Nest Ring

Slate Stacking Rings

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ really gorgeous. congratulations! hard to believe it's only a graduate collection.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AngelofDeath
              • Jun 2012

Very lovely collection. Bravo and congratulations.

Best of luck as you make your way out into the industry.
              I want you to tell me who you are in your dreams. Who is there? And is it beautiful like music?

Comment

• ahn
                • Jul 2012

Thank you both so much for your kind feedback.

The exhibition opening was last night and it was a very wonderful evening. There are three more pieces I would like to share from a separate assignment (which I hope to continue as an ongoing series) but I have not had the opportunity to photograph these yet.

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Ahn, I love the organic feel, the imperfection.
                  It's not so easy to create something simple, yet dramatic. I see success for you.
                  sain't

Comment

• AngelofDeath
                    • Jun 2012

Congrats on getting picked up by Occulter. Big advocate of those guys. Your work fits rights in.
                    I want you to tell me who you are in your dreams. Who is there? And is it beautiful like music?

Comment

• ahn
                      • Jul 2012

Thanks interest1 and AngelOfDeath!

It was such a surprise and honour to be contacted by Derrick as I've been following Occulter for a long time and have an outrageous amount of respect for his work as a multidisciplinary artist.

Our graduate exhibition just closed, we bumped out today. Now I have the last of my works back I'll be able to photograph them to share.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Congrats on Occulter! You're joining some top notch artisans there.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Mrama
                          • Feb 2013

Absolutely beautiful pieces here, your work composes a juste milieu of the simple and the ornate. Well done.
                          "All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last." - Marcel Proust

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

Thank you so much for your kind feedback everyone.

Here are the last three pieces I made for school; a series of three rings I have called ACICULAR.

Sadly I did not have them finished in time to be professionally photographed, I hope these pictures are sufficient.

They are solid sterling silver which has undergone a process called depletion to give them a chalky white finish. This process involves taking the fine silver content from the sterling alloy (sterling silver is 92.5% fine silver and 7.5% copper) and depositing it on the outside of the piece. Depleting is not a fast process, each piece undergoing the depletion cycle over 12 times in the end to achieve it's whiteness. To contrast, the inside of each ring band has been given a coating of black enamel paint.

The pieces are cast from wax and a combination of organic materials that have been meticulously combined in order to emulate the needle-like sharpness of natural mineral structures.

They are exhibition works intended for viewing only - they are for sale and would be supplied with a small dome for display purposes - the depletion process has rendered the exterior of the pieces more-or-less untouchable, as the effect is a surface finish only; if touched or rubbed excessively it would wear off. Moreover, due to the extreme whiteness of the finish, oils from your skin or dirt, etc would transfer creating a dull and ugly surface.

Also they are extremely sharp and although they look incredibly rough they are actually extremely fragile. At the very least I'd advise against wearing them from the sheer fact that they'd ruin your clothes .

I hope you like them .

Comment

• AngelofDeath
                              • Jun 2012

Really impressive. These rings certainly hold their own as works of art amidst the resulting impracticality. Painting the inside of the band was a smart touch, too. Again, gorgeous work. Thanks for sharing it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎