• Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

The Trouble with Second-Hand Clothes - BoF Opinion Article

From The Business of Fashion Opinion Op-Ed

The Trouble with Second-Hand Clothes

By Tansy E Hoskins 10 November, 2013

As the Christmas season approaches, millions of Westerners will flock to charity shops to donate their second-hand clothes. But the multi-billion dollar global market for used clothing is not what it seems, posing difficult questions for those hoping to do good by donating, argues Tansy Hoskins.

LONDON, United Kingdom — American rapper Macklemore’s hugely popular anthem “Thrift Shop,” which has been viewed over 450 million times on YouTube, is a cheeky tribute to the joys of shopping on the cheap, featuring mountains of second-hand coats, sweaters, jackets, jeans, jumpsuits, dresses, shoes and shirts.

On the surface, the recycling of used clothes, often charitably donated, means old garments don’t go to waste, while new owners get a bargain. It seems like a “win-win” situation that couldn’t be more ethically sound. And as the Christmas season approaches, millions of Westerners will soon flock to charity shops to donate their second-hand clothes.

But on closer inspection, the reselling of clothes is more complex than one might think, posing difficult questions for those hoping to do good by donating their old clothes.

Contrary to its homespun image, the second-hand clothing industry is dominated by what Dr Andrew Brooks and Prof David Simon at the University of London have called “hidden professionalism.” About the majority of donated clothing is sold to second-hand clothing merchants, who sort garments, then bundle them in bales for resale, usually outside the country in which the clothing was originally donated.

One key market is sub-Saharan Africa, where a third of all globally donated clothes are sold. In a paper entitled “Unravelling the Relationships between Used-Clothing Imports and the Decline of African Clothing Industries,” Brooks and Simon quote a representative of UK-based anti-poverty organisation Oxfam, who states that 300 bales of second-hand clothing can be sold in Africa for around £25,000 (about $40,000 at current exchange rates), while transport costs are just £2,000. Even taking into account the costs of things like collection and processing, these numbers suggest that the selling of second-hand clothing can be a lucrative affair, especially as the clothing being sold has often been charitably donated for free. While exact figures are scarce, in 2009, used clothing exports from OECD countries were worth $1.9 billion, according to the United Nations Commodity Trade Statistics Database.

But it’s not just the “hidden professionalism” of the used clothing business — and the resulting gap between costs and resale prices — that hurts markets like sub-Saharan Africa. The flood of castoffs collected via second-hand clothing schemes (along with the rise of cheap Chinese apparel imports) have also helped to undermine Africa’s own fledgling textiles and clothing manufacturing industry, says Cambridge economist Ha-Joon Chang.

The second-hand clothing market has a negative impact in donor markets, as well. Consumers in the global North throw away vast quantities of clothing every year. In the UK, for example, people dump 1.4 million tonnes of clothing into landfills, annually. To combat dumping, charities and local governments have increasingly instituted clothing recycling programmes. But, ultimately, recycling tackles the symptom not the cause — and gives consumers a false sense of security that the rate at which they are consuming and disposing of clothing is at all sustainable.

The truth is, “fast fashion” is a deeply unsustainable model. And by emphasising recycling rather than tackling the root cause of why people continue to buy and dispose of larger and larger quantities of lighter, thinner and less well-made clothing, consumers are reassured that they can continue shopping as normal.

“There is now this notion that fashion is just a commodity, and that we are just consumers,” laments Dilys Williams, director of the Centre for Sustainable Fashion at the London College of Fashion. “It doesn’t do justice to us or to fashion. Fashion should be about cherishing clothes and creating an identity, [but today it's] based on constant adrenalin and the excitement of purchasing. There is no anticipation or dreaming. Nothing lasts or is looked after. We each have a mini-landfill in our closets.”

But why stop and think when the charity shop or recycling bank is there to take care of the mess?
  • eleven crows
    • Mar 2011

This came as a complete surprise to me. I'd always thought the villains of the secondhand market were the vintage stores; picking out the best stuff before the charities even got a look in, then marking it up grossly.

How do people become educated about this? Would that even make a difference? Seems like something needs to become, pardon the expression, fashionable for it to be taken up en masse. Get a few celebrity endorsements and a superbowl ad.

This last bit is a real stinger. I've been guilty of this myself:

“It doesn’t do justice to us or to fashion. Fashion should be about cherishing clothes and creating an identity, [but today it's] based on constant adrenalin and the excitement of purchasing. There is no anticipation or dreaming. Nothing lasts or is looked after. We each have a mini-landfill in our closets.”

Comment

• avout
      • Nov 2011

To combat dumping, charities and local governments have increasingly instituted clothing recycling programmes. But, ultimately, recycling tackles the symptom not the cause — and gives consumers a false sense of security that the rate at which they are consuming and disposing of clothing is at all sustainable.
      This sounds like leting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Whatever the "root causes" are, recycling is still better than dumping tons of clothing into landfill.

Very interesting read about the African market though. Wasn't aware of that at all. Hard to assess how much of an impact second-hand clothing has on local textile industries, but it's an interesting question. Here's another article about the same thing.

Thanks Shucks!

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

Lucy Seigel deals with this in greater depth in the book 'To Die For, Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?'

Naomi Klein's 'No Logo' is a good book dealing with fashion's corruption.

'Salaula' is the term they are called once clothing gets to Africa.

On a little side note, it seems African's only want flared jeans... so the skinny jean trend is actually a big worry for people involved with market. The other thing African's seem to willing to pay alot for are football tops.
        It sounds crazy but if you look a competitive running, the new African runners who are just starting out will often be wearing second hand clothing to compete in, a mix mash of sports companies and very outdated trainers that are worn down. It seems crazy that fat western middle age men will be wearing better clothing and trainers compared to professional athletes.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

There has been plenty of articles about how cast offs and supposedly charitable initiative hurt the local African industries. The worst offenders are the likes of Tom's shoes who under the guise of charity have enriched themselves in the process of undermining African clothing industries. Tell that to the next hipster chick you meet who thinks her consumerism will make her sleep better at night.

The problem is not the lack of articles but that they are published in the wrong places. Kudos to Business of Fashion for picking up the good fight and leave it languishing on Treehugger and other preaching-to-the-converted media outlets.

The only way to help poor countries is education and creation of their own manufacturing sectors. But it's a much harder solution than treating them as dumping grounds for our second-rate stuff and our second-rate conscience.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dorje
            • Oct 2013

Very interesting article.

As far as the African clothing market, if there's that much profit then there will be competition among importers, and Africans themselves may decide not to buy from importers at all, just like I don't go to the Wal Mart just down the road.

IMO, the issue had little to do with fashion, it has to do with how WE behave as consumers. There is a lot of power in how people spend their money and we should think about who we are giving our money to. If we choose to buy cheap throw-away garbage made by folks who poison our planet (and often the products they are selling) and abuse their employees, then we have to expect what comes with it.

There's been a lot of recent talk about toxins in our clothing, both added to it (formaldehyde and other toxic wastes), as a result of the materials they are made of, and as a result of pesticides used to grow the fibers:

Many big clothing chains use formaldehyde to give their wares a fresh, unwrinkled appearance. Samantha Devlin uses dozens of ointments to protect her from allergies.

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

Very much agreed but its difficult to set up industries without the African's at the end of the day getting expolited in the long term. Like you said in the first part is changing consumerism from this end which will be a long process.

We live in a world where its almost impossible to fully trace a garments origins.
              It would be good to discuss consumer conscience or morals regarding garments here, is there any thread?

Comment

• TheThief
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                There has been plenty of articles about how cast offs and supposedly charitable initiative hurt the local African industries. The worst offenders are the likes of Tom's shoes who under the guise of charity have enriched themselves in the process of undermining African clothing industries. Tell that to the next hipster chick you meet who thinks her consumerism will make her sleep better at night.

There is a good and clear explanation of this here: http://goodintents.org/in-kind-donations/toms-shoes

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  Very much agreed but its difficult to set up industries without the African's at the end of the day getting expolited in the long term. Like you said in the first part is changing consumerism from this end which will be a long process.

We live in a world where its almost impossible to fully trace a garments origins.
                  It would be good to discuss consumer conscience or morals regarding garments here, is there any thread?
                  well, i started a general "ethics and esthetics" thread here a while ago, but maybe it is too broad to be interesting...?

stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618

Comment

• sshum88
                    • Dec 2007

Consumerism drives a large part of the societies and the world we live in. Changing this behaviour is a long and arduous task, especially when you want to get the masses behind it. You're always going against the flow.

And to truly change the 'system', I feel that you need to address the lives of those in the manufacturing plants - what ends up happening with those factory workers who are no longer needed?
                    Originally posted by eat me
                    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

The change is going to happen, just like it did with smoking and food. It's just a long fight and we are at the very beginning of it. It has taken 50 years or so for smoking and food. It will take as much for sustainability in fashion.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• avout
                        • Nov 2011

There has been plenty of articles about how cast offs and supposedly charitable initiative hurt the local African industries. The worst offenders are the likes of Tom's shoes who under the guise of charity have enriched themselves in the process of undermining African clothing industries.
                        No, it makes sense and I've done a little more reading on it now too. I'm just not sure whether the answer is protectionism so that second-hand clothes don't reach their markets.

If they raise barriers against used clothing to encourage local textile industries, their consumers will end up paying more for the local-made clothes, which already isn't great when the average GDP per capita in sub-saharan africa is around $1300 (This paper estimates average household income at $78).

The protected textile industries won't be competitive (say, against south and southeast asia), so they'll depend on those barriers staying up. The jobs the textile industry offers are notoriously precarious and unemployment in the region isn't high to the point of justifying the creation of just any job.

So you might end up with a situation of higher prices, an uncompetitive industry, poor jobs and more landfill in the West.

It's possible there are other arguments for it and I'm not wedded to the idea that used-clothing barriers would be damaging, I just don't think it's a given that encouraging local-made clothing will be a Good Thing.

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that investment in more dynamic sectors of the economy (in services, technology, other kinds of manufacturing etc.) can lead to better jobs and, with more income, consumer preferences would shift to "first-hand" clothing. I'm not sure every country needs a strong textile industry specifically.
                        Last edited by avout; 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by avout View Post

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that investment in more dynamic sectors of the economy (in services, technology, other kinds of manufacturing etc.) can lead to better jobs and, with more income, consumer preferences would shift to "first-hand" clothing. I'm not sure every country needs a strong textile industry specifically.
                          Oh, I was not implying that clothing industry should be first. I was thinking that ANY industry that creates jobs and trade is a good thing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• avout
                            • Nov 2011

Oh, I was not implying that clothing industry should be first. I was thinking that ANY industry that creates jobs and trade is a good thing.
                            Sure, I was responding mostly to the general tone of the articles I read. I agree with what you about investing in education and manufacturing, even if that's easier said that done.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

The change is going to happen, just like it did with smoking and food. It's just a long fight and we are at the very beginning of it. It has taken 50 years or so for smoking and food. It will take as much for sustainability in fashion.
                              1) Smoking is not this huge social problem, doesn't pollute and is going strong in huge countries like China and India.

2) Food problem is not in any way solved, it's not because a minority of western bobos eats bio food that there is a solved food problem, in fact bio food is problematic in itself and the poorest countries want to get OUT of producing bio food.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎