• Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

New designer for Y- Project

From WWD

PARIS
    — Y. Project is back.

The French upscale men’s wear label, best known for its avant-garde basics with a distinctive cut, has tapped Belgian designer Glenn Martens to become the new creative director.

The brand has been laying low since founder Yohan Serfaty died in April of cancer.

Martens, who served as Serfaty’s first assistant when the independent brand was launched in 2010, will present his debut collection in January, marking the label’s return to the official Paris fashion calendar. It skipped last season due to Serfaty’s illness.

“I want to build with respect on what Yohan started,” Martens told WWD. “It’s more about regenerating the brand than bringing a fast change.”

There will be freshness, nonetheless. Martens, who decided to put his label on standby to concentrate on Y. Project, said he plans to bring in more color to the brand’s inherently dark side and introduce more technical fabrics to its range of natural materials. Tailoring and construction will become “even more experimental,” in keeping with Serfaty’s high level of craftsmanship. “All in all, the range is wider,” Martens said.

A 2008 graduate of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, the Bruges native was recruited by Jean Paul Gaultier to become junior designer for the women’s pre-collection during his final year at school. He then moved on to G2, Gaultier’s men’s label, and eventually set up his own in 2012.

In his new role, Martens is also expected to revamp Y. Project’s visual image. A new Web site and video depicting the label’s “artistic background” are already in the works, he said. Additionally, the show in January will include a preview of the brand’s first women’s collection, to be presented during Paris Fashion Week in March, setting in motion yet another venture.

Y. Project is stocked in 30 multibrand stores around the world, including such insider venues as H. Lorenzo in Los Angeles, I.T in Hong Kong and Darklands in Berlin.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Thanks for this zamb. This is very exciting. Serfaty was one of the designers whose work I most admired, even though it wasn't always my style. The cuts were always exquisite and razor-sharp. The leather experimentation was excellent at times. I still remember that plaid and bonded leather shirt jacket. Amazing.

It's admirable of Martens to put his own label on hold to continue Serfaty's legacy. I'm eager to see what he'll bring. I've always thought Serfaty's signature and cuts would work well on women, so that could be fruitful.

After the last couple of weeks we could use some good news.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• CAIN
      • Jun 2013

Thanks for sharing Zam, is good to know that Yohan´s legacy will go on, can´t wait to see Glen´s work I hope the line maintains its identity.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎