X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

Interview w/ RO's Barbara Mariani, Managing Partner, Paris Store

Been meaning to post this for a while – a nice little interview with Barbara Mariani, managing partner of Rick Owens' Paris store and part owner of Rick's London outpost; a bit of a legend in her own right, being the longtime face of the Paris shop who many have seen, yet few know much about.

Barbara, where did you grow up?
    I grew up in Birmingham Michigan, in the heart of the prosperous but suburban bubble that was created when Detroit began its tragic decline.

Where do you currently live?
    I have lived Paris for the past 22 years. I moved here definitively with the father of my children upon the birth of our second child in 1990. Until that moment, we had spent three years between apartments in Paris and New York. The monthly commute was glamorous and exciting for the first few years but with the birth of our second, I knew that the gig was up, and that the time had come to settle down and make a choice of lifestyle.

As a young mother, I was tempted to put my career on hold for a while, and with that in mind, Paris was by far more alluring than New York. I thought that by the time my children were old enough to attend school, I would have had the time to perfect my French (which I did).

What was your course, academically?
    I attended Michigan State University from 1979–1983. I was a communications major, and, (wink), a sorority girl… My grades were excellent and I made the Dean’s list numerous times, but I wasn’t serious and not at all passionate about communications.

Tell us about your career prior to your current position.
    From Michigan State, I jumped head first into the wine business, working first for Four Seasons hotel group, and later for a private company as a consultant. Wine will always be a hobby and a passion for me, but in the 80′s it was still a man’s world and I bowed out when I moved to New York.

My first job in fashion was a fluke. I was offered the job as manager of the first flagship store for Christian de Castelneau on Madison Avenue and quite quickly, I realized that I had found my element. When I left that store to move to Paris, I still remember the anguish of leaving that thriving business that I had nurtured so painstakingly. When my youngest was 3, and I could not stand the doldrums of being a housewife and lady who lunched any longer (even as a Parisian), I accepted a job with tiny French ready-to-wear house Chacok, known for fine knitwear and color combinations. I started by managing their most important property on Rue de Grenelle. I was still teething on my French at that point, but I made up for it with my enthusiasm, and to my great delight, the store just took off. Within the first six months I completely changed the way the buying was handled, hired a new sales staff, and doubled the sales. The company gave me the direction of additional stores, and using the same formula I spent 4 years building up their business [in] France. I was eventually named Director of International Development and opened a Chacok store in Chicago on Oak street where [I] was a partner, and started projects in San Francisco and St. Barts. When my enthusiasm [for] retail finally wore thin I accepted a job as Commercial Director with Pierre Balmain.

How did you meet Rick Owens and how did you establish your business partnership?
    I was introduced to Rick and Michele by Armand Hadida, the owner of the legendary chain of multi-brand retail stores in Paris and Asia. Armand was actually on the verge of signing a deal with Rick in Palais-Royal and had misgivings at the last moment. I was in his office and he told me that Rick Owens was looking for a retail partner and manager for his first store in Paris, and said that he thought I might be ideal. I met with Michele soon afterwards [at] their home on Place Palais-Bourbon in Paris, and I will never forget the shivers running down my spine as we started our first conversation. I totally understood this fiery incredible woman, and knew what they were looking for, and I also knew that I could deliver. I didn’t even try to sell myself. Michele saw in me whatever it was that she needed to make up her mind, and she set up a meeting with Rick in Italy for the following week.

Rick and I met in Concordia, as he was hovering over a barrel of black dye with what looked like a skull that he was planning to emerge [sic]. I think I was so intimidated and enchanted at the same time that I must have blabbered like an idiot. I honestly think that Rick trusted Michele’s judgment on me because he could not have been too impressed by our first encounter. We signed our agreement a few weeks later and I invested a percentage of the initial capital to become partner.

What does your current position entail?
    I am the managing partner of Rick’s Paris Store and also own a percentage of our London store… which basically entitles me to roll up my sleeves and dive into everything that touches our retail operation.

continued HERE

sain't
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

thaks M,

a nice refreshing read, and many aspects of it that I love

Rick and I met in Concordia, as he was hovering over a barrel of black dye with what looked like a skull that he was planning to emerge. (True story) I think I was so intimidated and enchanted at the same time that I must have blabbered like an idiot
    I knew we would have the fashionistas coming by but they are not always the big spenders
    When we opened the first store we did not go for a grand opening or press announcements. In fact, in the beginning we had no press of any kind. We finished our very limited build out in 6 weeks, which involved very little paint, acres of cashmere for curtains, and this insanely expensive carpeting (same as The White House) which Rick promptly sprayed with bleach in selected spots to make it more interesting.
    Rick turned to me and said, ” soooooooooo what do you think? Should we just open the door?” and I nodded at him with complete confidence we did just that. It was a sweltering day in late July, we did not have air conditioning, and on an impulse I took a door from its hinges and placed it on two artist easels as a makeshift desk upstairs, which actually did the job for almost two years
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

You're welcome, Zam. :)

I loved the repurposing of the door, and splattering bleach underfoot. Perfectly Rick.

* goes to show it's not just leather which sees special treatment!
      sain't

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

I honeslty wish more people would read and pay close attention to these things

I am often surrounded by a bunch of Divas who think you need to spend money for EVERYTHING and everything needs to be done right away, and this read shows thats not the case.....

My Desk is a piece of plywood, of course i had the frames for the desk custom made, but I wanted plywood..........

I LIKE RICK and his team, they sound like a bunch of people ho are really enjoying their success and happy to be doing what they do
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

Along the same vein, here's another interview with Barbara Mariani, done a little earlier.

(which I personally found a little bit better, actually).
          sain't

Comment

• messenoire
            • Nov 2009

very interesting read. as much as i enjoy interviews with rick himself it's a nice departure reading about the people surrounding rick and their course in life. i'd love to read an interview with olmar and mirta, their names so familiar yet i am vastly unaware of who they actually are. again, thanks for posting this.

Comment

• 8bpc
              • May 2010

Indeed an interesting read. It is nice to get a different perspective on designers and the business. Thanks for sharing this interview.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              I am often surrounded by a bunch of Divas who think you need to spend money for EVERYTHING and everything needs to be done right away
              zamb makes a great point. One often cannot (or should not) buy their way to where they want to be. Sometimes it is best for things to grow and evolve in their own way and the reward is often greater.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎