• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Null12 View Post
    Ah, I see. The whole thing is just interesting to me - this whole instagram tribes thing we have going on nowadays. It's getting pretty extreme and I just don't know what to think of it anymore... Or maybe I am getting old and uncool.
    The best thing to do probably is to simply not pay attention and concentrate on the things that matter. I'd do it if part of my job did not require observing various phenomena.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      The best thing to do probably is to simply not pay attention and concentrate on the things that matter. I'd do it if part of my job did not require observing various phenomena.
      church.

Comment

• nqth
        • Sep 2006

Ted Polhemus is the original street style anthropologist. Trained at Temple and University College, London, he has gone on to write some...

An interview with Ted Polhemus.

"
        Ted Polhemus is the original street style anthropologist. Trained at Temple and University College, London, he has gone on to write some of the most influential works on fashion, style, and subcultural (or post-subcultural) expression. He is author, co-author, or editor of some 12 books, including Streetstyle: From Sidewalk to Catwalk, Style Surfing, Popstyles, The Customized Body, Hot Bodies Cool Styles, and The Body as Medium of Expression. His latest books, Boom! and a new revised edition of Fashion & Anti-fashion: An Anthropology of Clothing & Adornment, are now available through www.tedpolhemus.blogspot.com and www.lulu.com/spotlight/tedpolhemus. The following is our recent email interview.
        "
        (sorry if this was posted before)

Comment

• j100000
          • May 2014

I still don't get why they would go to fashion week just to get noticed? And it's just to get fancy instagram photos? think it's time I deactivate instagram....

Comment

• Aurum
            • Dec 2013

Two quick, and semi-related thoughts:

Back in (January?) Faust posted a link to a group of street snaps of "goth ninja women". I distinctly recall stopping what I was doing and pouring over the images, thinking "Synergy in street style? Total looks? Some of these are so polished! Why do I never see other women in cities dressed like this?", feeling really inspired. And then Shucks pointed out that the majority were "off-duty models and bloggers".

Oh.
            Of course.

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
            Being outside, in public, may seem different from, say, being in your house, but I think it still represents a private space that is being encroached upon and made public, or more public. Surely when we go outside, we (some more than others) are considerate of our appearance, so it's always been a public space in that sense. But the appeal of street style, as described in the article, is that the subjects choice in attire and style is unmediated, is somehow pure. With the recent "colonizing," this once semi-private space has been made fully public (for some) and hence implied for everyone else.
            And one sad part, of course, is that this process is invisible to most.
            /\ This.

(My response here may be more relevant in the Age of Instagram thread....)
            I have a handful of garments that I LOVE. I feel like 'myself' in them...yet I have also become very aware of how poorly they photograph. Be it the cut or the fabric, something about each translates as disproportionate or clownish in pictures. Do I wear them regardless? -Of course! But I have to admit to being a little camera-shy when someone wants to snap group photos. Even as an individual that is _highly unlikely_ to ever be photographed by a blogger, I find myself occasionally selecting fits that I know to look flattering/intentionally avoiding clothing that I know to be unflattering when I am planning to be in a public space.
            Is this just a reflection of my own vanity, pop-culture acclimation, or careful compositional consideration (if we are discussing fashion as art)? And is any specific motive (and it's affect upon personal style) technically "wrong" or "artificial", as opposed to organic, individual evolution?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Aurum View Post

(My response here may be more relevant in the Age of Instagram thread....)
              I have a handful of garments that I LOVE. I feel like 'myself' in them...yet I have also become very aware of how poorly they photograph. Be it the cut or the fabric, something about each translates as disproportionate or clownish in pictures. Do I wear them regardless? -Of course! But I have to admit to being a little camera-shy when someone wants to snap group photos. Even as an individual that is _highly unlikely_ to ever be photographed by a blogger, I find myself occasionally selecting fits that I know to look flattering/intentionally avoiding clothing that I know to be unflattering when I am planning to be in a public space.
              Is this just a reflection of my own vanity, pop-culture acclimation, or careful compositional consideration (if we are discussing fashion as art)? And is any specific motive (and it's affect upon personal style) technically "wrong" or "artificial", as opposed to organic, individual evolution?
              And will you answer those questions?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Aurum
                • Dec 2013

Those are big questions. Questions which I ask in the midst of this discussion primarily for illustrative purposes (although I wouldn't ask questions that I didn't welcome responses to). We do tend to take ourselves too seriously...but self-awareness still seems underrated. We agree that strategic marketing utilizing "street wear" through social media is distasteful, disheartening, and possibly unethical. What I'm curious about is how other members of SZ are conciously interacting with this new(er), seemingly omnipresent lens, and how it may be changing their individual sense of style. Has anyone (particularly those who developed a strong sense of personal style pre-Instagram, etc) noticed a shift in their own clothing choices since engaging in (or conscientiously objecting to) social media platforms in recent years?

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎