X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shah
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by BSR View Post
    Saw that too. I agree with the diagnosis, but it's a much more general phenomenon, which is not so much tied to the difference between 'street' and 'podium' but to the colonization of the web by brands, marketing and stores. Even what used to be or is supposed to be user generated content, tends to become free advertising. see instagram accounts for instance, whether they advertise for the self of their owners, or for the brands they wear, the stores they buy from or the places they are pround to visit... content has never been so poor and conspicuous at the same time.
    maybe this is already known or obvious (because i don't use it), but in regards to advertising and user-generated content, FB's new filtering mechanism relies on user interaction to judge a post's utility. that is, the more a post is liked or commented upon, the more it becomes visible to your audience, and that's because the average person has hundreds of friends and would see thousands of posts per day. so there should of course be some method of determining what you see.

but this has now become a parody, since you can pay to promote your posts, so in essence the user who is a content-generator and also a viewer, now becomes the advertiser as well. all the revenues then go back into the company/shareholders whereas other user-generated content platforms like, say, youtube, pay the users generating content.

relating back to streetstyle, this phenomenon has manifested in other forms, as well. See Cream Style, direct blogger to buyer content generation. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just an evolution I guess (maybe your opinions differ).
    "“It’s like an awesome Instagram feed of great street style...The CREAM team posts several outfits a day modeled by bloggers and fashionistas, so there’s no shortage of inspiration.”- InStyle Magazine "
    Last edited by shah; 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• unwashed
      • Dec 2008

As mentioned before, curious about the street style photographers point of view.

I think the photographers play a big role and have control of what's considered 'street style'. If they choose to photograph in fashion capitols at fashion parties/hotspots, then you'll obviously encounter more of the 'posing/dress2impress' kind of folk and therefor loose authenticity of street style. While if you choose to take pictures in suburbs, smaller villages or something were people are less influenced by social media, then the images will get more street style authentic.

Photographers might also want to be recognized by big brand companies for their own careers and therefor choose these kind of fashion hotspots. For exposure and views on their sites and therefor are more likely to be hired by big companies.

What's considered street style nowadays. What the article said, people nowadays have much more 'fashion reach' with the rise of internet/social media/e-shopping etc. Before people had influences from their neighborhoods, magazines and local shops, now they can check globally for trends and incorporate this in their street style the next day. Now the world is the street and you shop the www instead of your local shops. I think this also helps street style to evolve faster and quicker.
      Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

To put the blame on photographers' shoulders is also misleading. Some of them shoot for big publications and it is those publications that often dictate what should be shot. Which, at the end of the day might mean that they shoot what the publications' audiences want, celebs, models, blah-blah.

But that is not even the point here. The point is how street style was the last vestige of unmediated style since magazines no longer serve that purpose (except SZ magazine, obviously ;-)) and now brands are muscling in on that space by giving clothes to people who often get photographed, hence making the previously unmediated experience a sponsored one. Magic1's point about the public space being unbranded is extremely important. Hell, Naomi Klein has written an entire book about it.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dorje
          • Oct 2013

I don't think issues like this are a new phenomenon, just that people are maybe becoming more aware of them?

Of course I am speculating, but I would guess that persons of interest have been offered clothing at no charge for the purposes of promoting the brand for a very long time.

The concept of advertising to a person who doesn't realize he is being advertised to is also not a new concept, companies have been paying for product placement in movies for a long time. I think a lot of what we see online, in the media and in the movies has been manipulated by advertisers and we do not necessarily realize it.

So, I'm not sure the way the article is written... lamenting the days of old where motivations were pure and celebrities and people of interest dressed how THEY wanted with no influence from marketing folks... is real either.

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dorje View Post

The concept of advertising to a person who doesn't realize he is being advertised to is also not a new concept, companies have been paying for product placement in movies for a long time. I think a lot of what we see online, in the media and in the movies has been manipulated by advertisers and we do not necessarily realize it.
            the point is not that people are being unconsciously advertised, it is that they unconsciously or consciously advertise for free.
            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
              • Jan 2014

NYMag did an interesting little documentary on this awhile ago. For an anxiety inducing look into the mind of a few watch this:

The chaos New York Fashion Week means street style photographers have some of the most stylish people in the world in one place, and they strive to capture e...

It helped me paint a more parasitic picture of things after watching it.

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              I would like to hear a street photographer weigh in on this as well. It'd be nice to hear what they see in all of this.
              "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Pumpfish
                • Sep 2010

We are observing the natural death of a media phenomenon. What begain as somenthing new and engaging and real has been appropriated by the dull and greedy, and is now an embarrasment of fakery and exploitation. It probably lasted longer than it might because of the repetitiveness of the fashion calendar.

We will always be curious about stylish and original dressers, we just won't look for them in street style reports.
                spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Of course I am speculating, but I would guess that persons of interest have been offered clothing at no charge for the purposes of promoting the brand for a very long time.
                  Indeed, I think Coco Chanel invented this marketing strategy in the 20's

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                    Indeed, I think Coco Chanel invented this marketing strategy in the 20's

Dudes, designers dress their glamorous friends, don't forget the societies and fashion pages are basically intermingled. Nowadays glamorous might mean a downtown artist/drug fiend but it's the same concept.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I don't think issues like this are a new phenomenon, just that people are maybe becoming more aware of them?

So, I'm not sure the way the article is written... lamenting the days of old where motivations were pure and celebrities and people of interest dressed how THEY wanted with no influence from marketing folks... is real either.
                      Of course, but we are only now beginning to see this in "street style," so the article is timely. Whereas an intelligent viewer has learned to easily spot product placement in film and TV, he has not learned that yet here.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
                        • Jan 2011

Also, much of the disappointment is not simply that "those greedy advertisers found a new tactic," rather, it's that they've expanded their reach. Like when people are concerned with increased surveillance: it's not that the panoptic power is novel, but that it's increased, which is sad (and maybe bad) on its own, regardless of how old the tactic is.

If we could only complain about new atrocities, there'd really be very little to complain about.

Comment

• SuE
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          But that is not even the point here. The point is how street style was the last vestige of unmediated style since magazines no longer serve that purpose (except SZ magazine, obviously ;-)) and now brands are muscling in on that space by giving clothes to people who often get photographed, hence making the previously unmediated experience a sponsored one.

Of course, but we are only now beginning to see this in "street style," so the article is timely. Whereas an intelligent viewer has learned to easily spot product placement in film and TV, he has not learned that yet here.
                          I believe the public views the Street Style snaps described in the article, pictures of people outside fashion week runway shows, to be the equivalent of celebrity photos at Hollywood red carpet events i.e. the intelligent viewer cynically understands that the clothes are product placement. Not every Pitti Uomo groupie has a deal with marketing agent but then not every starlet has a 'relationship' with a fashion designer.

I think the last vestige of unmediated style to be the WAYWTD threads on forums like SZ and SuFu or, to much lesser extent, sites like Lookbook.nu. Show me an expose that reveals Faust has been on the payroll of _______ all along and then I'll be shocked.
                          One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

wow 25% of the looks presented here were of men wearing paul harnden. i knew that shyster was engaging in product placement and blogspamming!
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

This fucker's supposed disdain for the Internet is 100% reverse marketing.

SuE, not on anyone's payroll. Besides, street bloggers don't photograph me anyway. :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

This fucker's supposed disdain for the Internet is 100% reverse marketing.
                                and its working on me. i am powerless to resist.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎