Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyguru
    • Jun 2008

So the bastard twins MikeN & baldy are on Harndens payroll... it all makes sense now

Comment

• sign of bonding
      • Jan 2014

Spirit is lost

After all it is more about the person (e.g the so-called fashion blogger) and not about the originality of the style or product nowadays. I find it rather sad sometimes. People are looking for chances of being photographed so that when their snaps are posted on web, they get likes and followers and they feel fulfilled.

The fact is that many people don't really regard the way they dress is a self-presentation and expression. For many of us here, we build our identity by what we wear and don't give a damn about being snapped or not. But I would say a lot of people nowadays do have difficulties building their identity (and trusting their own style) until they get enough attention.
      "All those provocative discussions helped crystallize my thinking." A Dangerous Method

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I'm ambivalent about this whole identity-building thing. In a way I recognize that style can be a reflection of the inside, and dress as such, but the idea of identity-building seems artificial, akin to putting on airs, affectation, that sort of thing.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Style is an easy way of saying complicated things.
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

but one could truly and deeply BE someone who puts on air, that being their "true identity" or whatever. read Balzac for more insight on that topic

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
              but one could truly and deeply BE someone who puts on air, that being their "true identity" or whatever. read Balzac for more insight on that topic
              Well, yes, in a way this is the basis of dandyism. But the difference is that they are self-aware.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

I never understood why self awareness makes it any better. if anything it makes it worse, because if you are aware of this shitty personality trait, why are you not fixing it. but whatever, rambling, sorry

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

I wear pants on the outside because pants is how I feel in the inside.

note: sounds even better if you're British.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                    Oh, that's much better than my example. Although it implies one could wear pants on the inside, and not even Carol has gone that far.
                    Replace "pants" with "black" and you've got some instantaneous deep thinking in 'da house, as the kids are fond to say.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

this whole identity building thing and self-expression through attire is so teenagery and like ... I dunno ... group mentality whatever

we're all basically adorning ourselves to attract other people, the way we chose to address this depends on the type of people we want to attract (and/or alternatively repel)
                      Also, we take ourselves too seriously
                      Also, luxury and exclusiveness is an addiction, and it's very hard to let it go because non-luxury things are just less good, so yeah

Comment

• Dorje
                        • Oct 2013

I never understood why self awareness makes it any better. if anything it makes it worse, because if you are aware of this shitty personality trait, why are you not fixing it. but whatever, rambling, sorry
                        That's funny... isn't the whole point of it to revel in the shittiness?

Originally posted by Faust
                        I'm ambivalent about this whole identity-building thing. In a way I recognize that style can be a reflection of the inside, and dress as such, but the idea of identity-building seems artificial, akin to putting on airs, affectation, that sort of thing.
                        To avoid this we would need some sort of uniform that removes any ability to look different from anyone else.

this whole identity building thing and self-expression through attire is so teenagery and like ... I dunno ... group mentality whatever

we're all basically adorning ourselves to attract other people, the way we chose to address this depends on the type of people we want to attract (and/or alternatively repel)
                        The way we dress is not only a form of self expression, it is also a form of communication.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

Yeah to me it's just an aspect of body language

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                            Rick Owens isn't the Messiah

Comment

• Uppvakningur
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
                              The way we dress is not only a form of self expression, it is also a form of communication.
                              Fuuma's point is that, aside from protection from the elements, clothing can only be a form of communication and social currency, as galia outlines above.

Using music as an example, the problem with that logic is an inability to have an affinity towards anything beyond the measure of coolness derived from name-dropping it to others. And while that may very well hold true for some, its a culturally-barren form of existence.

Bringing it back to the significance of the subject the thread posed, when people create study-guides to dressing for the camera, are they wearing something they actually want to wear? Or could it be also that their relationship with fashion and beyond is only proportionate to the amount of social validation they stand to receive from it?

Instead of feeling pants on the inside, fuuma is trying to guess at how a whole lot of other people feel about pants within a particular setting and dressing accordingly. what fuuma feels on the inside, about pants or anything else, remains a mystery.
                              Last edited by Uppvakningur; 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

I'm not sure most people really know who they are on the inside, not REALLY. sometimes they know what they like, but that's hardly the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎