• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

^brilliant. contrasted perfectly with your new sig, too

Originally posted by galia View Post
    we're all basically adorning ourselves to attract other people, the way we chose to address this depends on the type of people we want to attract (and/or alternatively repel)
    Also, we take ourselves too seriously

Also, luxury and exclusiveness is an addiction, and it's very hard to let it go because non-luxury things are just less good, so yeah
    the last paragraph is spot-on. the first is completely incorrect, unless you mean "we" in a rather exclusive sense.
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Uppvakningur
      • Nov 2013

I'm not sure most people really know who they are on the inside, not REALLY. sometimes they know what they like, but that's hardly the same thing.
      Maybe about as close as feeling does to being? And, as far as those feels are concerned, that is something I'm able to vouch for with confidence. Probably more so than you could claim to the contrary. Having a firm grasp of what you're feeling seems pretty reasonable after all.

And feeling nothing in particular doesn't bode too well for discussion about art or design or aesthetics or beauty or even fashion. When a group of people ostensibly gathered to discuss these subjects has no real interest in them, they can only clumsily pantomime the appearance of that interest to one another to try and extract whatever validation can be found in doing so.

Presented with choosing between feeling pants on the inside and pitching curated identities to people who are pitching you theirs, I-i..think I'd go with the pants. The devil you know, etc. All I'm left with otherwise are sets of arbitrary conditions imposed on the glorious pursuit of back-patting.

Wait, this does make sense after all.

Last edited by Uppvakningur; 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

I dunno man. I know this is a forum whose purpose is to analyze & discuss and I usually enjoy the discourse, but sometimes it makes my brain hurt.

BTW:
        today street style blogs are oxymorons.... ya know pics of people wearing pantones color of the year,radiant orchid.

forgot
        Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
        Style is an easy way of saying complicated things.
        I like this
        Last edited by endorphinz; 01-29-2014, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I never understood why self awareness makes it any better. if anything it makes it worse, because if you are aware of this shitty personality trait, why are you not fixing it. but whatever, rambling, sorry
          In this case it's because they had a specific agenda (to set themselves apart from the bourgeois taste) instead of being fashion victims.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sign of bonding
            • Jan 2014

Also, we take ourselves too seriously
            Can't agree more. Despite the repeated discussion of identity and self-awareness-thing, the reality is, most people (those we meet on the streets) don't really care what you dress or trying to express. I mean, until you find somebody sharing similar language and form a communication, your self-expression can be responded to and generate new meanings or inspirations.
            "All those provocative discussions helped crystallize my thinking." A Dangerous Method

Comment

• Uppvakningur
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by sign of bonding View Post
              Can't agree more. Despite the repeated discussion of identity and self-awareness-thing, the reality is, most people (those we meet on the streets) don't really care what you dress or trying to express. I mean, until you find somebody sharing similar language and form a communication, your self-expression can be responded to and generate new meanings or inspirations.
              I thought this was the one spot where you were supposed to discuss that seriously. Even has a manifesto before that 'discuss' button. Maybe galia means that it should be taken seriously until people say their head hurts and they want to go back to the classifieds.

Without me having any knowledge on what most people think or care about, could you please talk to me a bit about why discussion of this subject is made less relevant by 'people and their thoughts', regular people on the street not caring or other people in general. What do third parties have to do with any of it?

You are writing words but i don't understand what you are meaning to say with them, so maybe you could help clarify this.
              Last edited by Uppvakningur; 01-30-2014, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• sign of bonding
                • Jan 2014

Dear, sorry to get you confused. Just want to clarify that I have no intention to make the discussion of this subject (or any other subjects) less relevant or not. Well, first of all, I believe Galia wasn't saying the same thing I wrote. I was just purely inspired by the line. Sorry mate if my poor expression has offended you. (Not quite familiar with the language here yet but personally I do enjoy those discussions that make people's head hurt.)

What I was trying to say is, the lack of communication between different groups of people. It's like sometimes people from other groups ask "Why do you pretend artists / have to be so anti-mainstream?" and maybe I'll say "Why do you have to stick to trend guides?". We both find our ways to be what we want to be, but sadly we rarely communicate and understand each other. Well of course it's an ideal. If meaningful communication works out so easily, "beautiful things won't be disappearing everyday" quoted from Yohji.

And sorry for getting off-track again... Please just remove the post if it causes any inconvenience.
                "All those provocative discussions helped crystallize my thinking." A Dangerous Method

Comment

• sign of bonding
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                  BTW:
                  today street style blogs are oxymorons.... ya know pics of people wearing pantones color of the year,radiant orchid.
                  Korean glam-rock rendition.

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

What I was trying to say is, the lack of communication between different groups of people. It's like sometimes people from other groups ask "Why do you pretend artists / have to be so anti-mainstream?" and maybe I'll say "Why do you have to stick to trend guides?". We both find our ways to be what we want to be, but sadly we rarely communicate and understand each other. Well of course it's an ideal. If meaningful communication works out so easily, "beautiful things won't be disappearing everyday" quoted from Yohji.

if i don't communicate with you, maybe i just don't like you.
                    Last edited by Shucks; 01-30-2014, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Most people don't go to see Caravaggio or read Proust. This is a tribe where people talk to EACH OTHER and it's more than enough, and it's what I set out to achieve when I started SZ.

SZ is like going to a concert to see your favorite band. Some are there because they find meaning in their music, others because it's supposed to be cool. You can tell the two groups apart after a while. :)

(Total thread derail achieved)
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        It's quite a sideshow indeed.. I just find it incredible that there are always people outside shows who never go in, but just try to get photographed.
                        See this every season in Paris, last time at Rick Owens I noticed a bunch of A$AP ROCKY fanboys, trying to get the attention so photographers would make photos of them, which eventually worked I think? I happen to know a couple who just came to Paris to pose at shows, and make fancy instagram photos lol.
                        Last edited by 550BC; 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM.
                        a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Null12
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                          See this every season in Paris, last time at Rick Owens I noticed a bunch of A$AP ROCKY fanboys, trying to get the attention so photographers would make photos of them, which eventually worked I think? I happen to know a couple who just came to Paris to pose at shows, and make fancy instagram photos lol.
                          All that effort, time, and money spent for glorious tiny #612x612 filtered photos. #butdatswagtho.

I am not really hating, who knows, it might be fun with friends to goof off like that. Or maybe I am just jelly. Lol.

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

I don't know them personally though.. but I think it's a waste of money especially when you travel from spot to spot by taxi just to look like somebody ''important'' I don't know.. I bet they will be around during SS15 as well, I know them due they are friends with some local buyers here, hence I know they're just some wannabe's trying to show off.
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Null12
                              • Oct 2013

Ah, I see. The whole thing is just interesting to me - this whole instagram tribes thing we have going on nowadays. It's getting pretty extreme and I just don't know what to think of it anymore... Or maybe I am getting old and uncool.

Comment

• 550BC
                                • Jan 2013

hahaha, no I feel the same.
                                people are losing it.. I don't see the point of being a social media icon based on the money you have and fancy clothing you buy, but that's this generation.
                                a fish out of water dies

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎