X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malevich
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by returningson View Post
    this isn't surprising to me and im fully aware of the one or two umbrella corps that own virtually every watch brand. Going back to the original post I just found it surprising the collection of companies that Kering owns and how well they hide it. Its funny because at my local plaza, the Gucci store is right next door the Bottega store which is right next door to the Brioni store.
    It is a win-win situation really. It is probably less expensive to rent one huge block and virtually divide it on Gucci/Bottega/Brioni boutiques, and at the same time giving customer an illusion of choice to drive sales. Simple, but quite brilliant actually. Less outcome, more income - that is why these big companies always record growth, and even if they miss estimates it is a couple of percent, and no serious drama.

That its why for me personally, it is more curious to know more about smaller companies, their numbers and struggles and tricks, unfortunately their data is hard to come by online

Comment

• applecrisp
      • Jun 2013

I've always wondered how much money is spent on, to use an extreme example, say, a Galliano Dior runway presentation (not just the presentation itself, but the months and months of work leading up to it as well) and how much money is actually made from any of the pieces in the show.

A more current collection that I'd be curious to know about is the newest Thom Browne mens presentation, which was probably my favorite of the season. It looks as though a lot of those pieces are constructed using true couture sewing techniques but, of course, none of those pieces will ever be seen in stores.

I understand that runway is a giant marketing campaign to a lot of these companies but I'm just curious just HOW much money they're willing to put up.

The whole thing is basically like a big italian wedding where a whole bundle of money is spent and all that's left over are some photos, some videos, and a bunch of clothes that nobody will ever wear again.

Comment

• MaxM
        • Sep 2009

IIRC the most expensive shows are LV and Chanel and can exceed 10M

Originally posted by applecrisp View Post
        I've always wondered how much money is spent on, to use an extreme example, say, a Galliano Dior runway presentation (not just the presentation itself, but the months and months of work leading up to it as well) and how much money is actually made from any of the pieces in the show.

A more current collection that I'd be curious to know about is the newest Thom Browne mens presentation, which was probably my favorite of the season. It looks as though a lot of those pieces are constructed using true couture sewing techniques but, of course, none of those pieces will ever be seen in stores.

I understand that runway is a giant marketing campaign to a lot of these companies but I'm just curious just HOW much money they're willing to put up.

The whole thing is basically like a big italian wedding where a whole bundle of money is spent and all that's left over are some photos, some videos, and a bunch of clothes that nobody will ever wear again.

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• applecrisp
          • Jun 2013

Yes, but is that $10M just for the show?

What's Karl's salary broken down seasonally? How much of his time is dedicated to the pieces in the show? How much is his staff budget for the season?

Also, Chanel and LV tend to be more based in reality, whereas Dior Couture under Galliano was based in fantasy land. As is Thom Browne's newest show.
          Last edited by applecrisp; 04-15-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Mrama
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by applecrisp View Post
            Yes, but is that $10M just for the show?

What's Karl's salary broken down seasonally? How much of his time is dedicated to the pieces in the show? How much is his staff budget for the season?

Also, Chanel and LV tend to be more based in reality, whereas Dior Couture under Galliano was based in fantasy land. As is Thom Browne's newest show.
            I believe that 10M+ for the show seeing as there are designers pushing around 1M+ for a show in NYFW. I find it very believable that the faces of LVMH pay around 10x that amount when all the direct and indirect expenses are accumulated.
            "All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last." - Marcel Proust

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Some interesting thoughts from the recent luxury summit in Florida, as reported by WWD - some of which can be linked to SZ. I would be curious to hear what the rest of you think.

"Brands must completely rethink their strategy to recapture savvy, cautious postrecession buyers who have further become invulnerable through online information. Consumers also care more about their feelings, experiences and egocentric selves as personal brands than commercial brands of any sort. They’re also discovering luxury brands through print media, whether editorial or ads, while social media and online marketing are relatively ineffective despite their cool factor."

"Fashion is in the dumps as consumers’ closets are crammed and they move to a global garage sale online through Web sites like eBay." and fora classifieds?

"Estimated robust categories in the U.S. for 2014 are travel, homes, cars and watches, a male-dominated item that will increase 23 percent, compared with a 6.7 percent increase in spending by affluent and wealthy U.S. consumers in key discretionary categories. Preferences for a favorite luxury brand across the board have plummeted since the recession. As the only consumers willing to pay full price based on quality and aesthetics, tastemakers are a luxury brand’s best friend and possibly last." You hear that, Rick?

"Stating wholesale is dead, Emmanuel Perrin, president and chief executive officer of Cartier North America, is strengthening retail and educational outreach such as craftsmanship videos for an enhanced experience."

"Made in Italy still matters, according to Umberto Angeloni, president and ceo of Caruso SpA, who emphasized the country’s manufacturing renaissance. He presented Boston Consulting Group’s 2013 True-Luxury Global Consumer Insight survey of 10 countries, which found an overwhelming preference for Italian clothing, accessories and jewelry. As the quality of goods decreases worldwide, Angeloni predicted the Made in Italy stamp only will grow stronger to icon status, like German automobiles."

"Luxury brands also should prepare for more sophisticated consumers in developing Asian countries who are entering a postmodern phase. They’re establishing more complex identities through the Internet and foreign education and travel." Goodbye, Gucci, hello, Poell.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                They’re establishing more complex identities through the Internet and foreign education and travel."
                this is so bullshit that it's hilarious.

internet is the place where identities such as the following one have arisen:
                Originally posted by thefinalcody
                My first drips in CORS leather. I love the stiffer feel of the shoe compared with the ROOS leather. This pair is No. 3 of 3. #carolchristianpoell #rare #shoeart #fashionart #conceptualist #avantgardefashion #ccp #shoegame #igsneakercommunity #sneakerheat #sneakerhead #sneakers #kicks #rickowens #garethpugh #a1923
                Originally posted by thefinalcody
                Today's look: #carolchristianpoell High neck cordovan leather jacket. #saintlaurent plaid button up. #balmain biker jeans. #adicianoveventitre sneakers #labelunderconstruction reversible beanie. #ootd #ootn #balmainhomme #balmainparis #mycloset #mywardrobe #ultraluxe #menstyle #urbanfashion #streetstyle #darkfashion #denimhead #bestjacketever #ccp #newyorkfashion #londonfashion #instastyle #mensfashion #10Klook
                Last edited by BSR; 04-23-2014, 03:31 PM.
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I don't think they are establishing more complex identities per se, but I do think that taste works as a learning curve under the satiation principle. I think that's probably what the speaker meant, that as the nouveau riche are open to new experiences the bling goes out and more understated things come in.

P.S. Thefinalcody just registered on SZ
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I don't think they are establishing more complex identities per se, but I do think that taste works as a learning curve under the satiation principle. I think that's probably what the speaker meant, that as the nouveau riche are open to new experiences the bling goes out and more understated things come in.

P.S. Thefinalcody just registered on SZ
                    Besides him, I saw some other people similar to him using the hashtag #ForThoseWhoKnow ......
                    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• eleven crows
                      • Mar 2011

Thank you, BSR. I can't stop laughing at those messages.

His instagram is a goldmine.

Originally posted by Thefinalcody
                      @dsquared2 posted a #flashback video today from their iconic 2003 24/7 rockstar collection. it reminded me that i have this masterpiece jacket from that collection that i have never worn. the fur is a bit over the top for me, but it seems #kanyewest is bringing it back this fall. maybe i can dress it down with a hoodie and track pants. #dsquared2 #dsquared #rockstar #deananddan #jacketgame #yeezy #fall2014 #icon #masterpiece

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post

Anyone who pays global consulting groups to hear about fashion fully deserves those kinds of shit reports by clueless execs who have made a living for the last 20 yrs shilling powerpoints presentations (with misguided data crunching provided by absolutely unskilled ivy graduates)
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• apathy!
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BSR View Post

I think it leads to a very diverse range of identities. Not all of them like the ferrari kanye guy.

#10Klook, #conceptualist
                          lol

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

fuckfastfashion:

Chilling Letter From Chinese Factory Worker Found In Saks Fifth Avenue Bag
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

There is a parallel universe out there, on the internet, of celebrity—true, valuable, vast opportunities for reach and audience connection.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ what does this have to do with fashion business?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎