X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    /\ what does this have to do with fashion business?
    It totally parallels newly developed blogger power and their colonization by brands.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      It totally parallels newly developed blogger power and their colonization by brands.
      In that case, allow me to offer an alternative view.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dorje
        • Oct 2013

Holy Shit!

I have been avoiding buying things made in China, this is another good reason...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ I would not be surprised if the whole thing is fake. Just saying...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

I thought so too instinctively, but could not find anything online to suggest it. on the contrary, found another similar older story. plus the fact itself seems highly likely, even if the letter ends up being fake

Comment

• Dorje
              • Oct 2013

I wouldn't have paid much attention but apparently they found and talked to the guy who wrote it... Of course that could be staged too but it seems less likely.

In any case, human rights and environmental issues are enough to keep me from buying MIC goods as much as possible.

Comment

• LelandJ
                Banned
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                /\ I would not be surprised if the whole thing is fake. Just saying...
                If you had to guess, faked by whom and what motive?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                  If you had to guess, faked by whom and what motive?
                  I think that'd be pretty obvious, no? There are plenty of people (myself included) and organizations that are against fast fashion and atrocious work conditions in third-world countries that it is responsible for. It's not that hard to fake a letter, a photo, and sneak it into a shopping bag.

*Mind you, I don't know if it's a fake and I hope it's real.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LelandJ
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2014

My mistake, can't expect general ethics from anti-slave work ethics advocates.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

H&M profit $900 million in three months, plans to open 375 stores this year.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dorje
                        • Oct 2013

Apparently slavery pays it's masters well.

But as Theivery Corporation says in one of their songs, "they gain the world, but lose their souls".

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Last September, the fashion magazine Teen Vogue worked with Goldman Sachs in a survey of young women ages 13 to 29 to come up with a list of the most popular brands sought by the cohort. Both Target and Louis Vuitton made the top 20 list.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zen dog
                            • Jan 2014

I'm pretty exhausted now, but I don't want to let the moment pass, so I'll take my chances with sloppy thinking.

Faust, you didn't have an animated face at the end of this, so I'll have to take your reporting at face value.

I think its great that Target and LV made the top 20. Not either one in particular but the extremes are important. Whatever their economic bracket, people want something nice, something new-even if its just new to them. Responsible production should enter the equation more, but, judging from posts on other forums, that can be lacking on all economic levels.

Can you expect design purity/originality at the lower end? Could you find enough of an audience without brands at a higher level, more cachet creating an interest and visibility? If you came up with something fresh at the low end, how soon before the high end appropriates it? What % of women and men in their early 20s aspire to glamour and flash when they are just starting to make their way in the world financially and socially? I got more worked up reading in another thread how wearers and viewers of expensive watches (and I'm not talking about the young gentleman with his Royal Oak- I didn't get any attitude) have expectations due to an obvious economic statement.

I'm beat, I'll take whatever lumps follow.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I think you maybe reading in too much into this (my post was unironic, this is the fashion business thread). I think the list simply bespeaks mass taste - meaning that the masses, who are not well off, will shop at a low end, of course, but if they want to splurge once a year, say for a birthday or Christmas, they will go for the lowest common denominator of luxury - Louis Vuitton if they have any semblance of taste, Michael Kors or Tory Burch (I have not seen the full list, but I suspect they are on it) if they have none.

I think that's all there is to it. I'm not judging by the way, these is simply an observation of a mix of economic condition, shopping habits, and mass views on "fashion."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎