• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

What's a Store For?

I wanted to share with you my new Op-Ed piece about whether today a store can still be a taste-maker. I think this is a very zeitgeist topic and I hope the article can start a fruitful discussion.

In a 2012 New York Times article about Barneys, the iconic department store that for decades was Gotham’s tastemaker, Cathy Horyn quoted Gene Pressman, the grandson of Barneys’ founder, about what the ethos of a successful fashion shop should be. “If you give customers what they want, then you die… The fact is they don’t know what they want.” In the pre-Internet and pre-Instagram era this certainly used to be the case, but is it still?

These days the department stores’ offerings seem interchangeable. The Internet has made shopping globalized, and thus even more homogenized. There are web department stores like Net-a-Porter and The Corner, and boutiques like LN-CC in London and Luisa via Roma in Florence that have built their retail models giving priority to their e-commerce rather than the physical store. By significantly expanding availability of fashion goods, this plethora of shopping options has made the price a primary determinant behind a purchasing decision.

For an American it used to be that you went to your local store and bought whatever European designers they had, and if you wanted to get a better price, you would have to get on a plane and go to Paris or Milan. Now you can enjoy the same savings with a few mouse clicks.

Because there are hundreds of boutiques around the world that have launched their own e-commerce sites, several high-end shopping aggregators have emerged using social networking as their platform. Notable among them are Polyvore, that allows you to create shoppable collages, and Lyst, which creates personalized shopping lists while serving as a conduit to various web shops. On both sites, users can follow other users. “Today’s consumer is now influenced by a radically expanded group of tastemakers, ranging from traditional retailers and magazines to bloggers and friends. This shift has been driven by the dominance of social platforms in the content space like Twitter and Pinterest, and in the commerce space, like Lyst,” said Chris Morton, the founder of Lyst.

In such a climate, the role of stores as arbiters of style is fading away and that of celebrities is rapidly rising. Today, Kanye West is undoubtedly responsible for more Givenchy t-shirt sales than anyone else in the world. Riccardo Dalai, the owner of Riccardi boutique in Boston, told me that he cannot reorder them fast enough, and that their five to seven hundred-dollar retail price does not deter his customers. “And these kids, when they come into the store, they already know what they want,” he added.

West is just an extreme example of seemingly countless tastemakers, whose Instagram accounts are followed by tens of thousands, sometimes millions, of people. The explosion of street-style photography has given birth to an array of people who do nothing in particular, except dressing to be photographed. All of a sudden, the actress at the Oscars solemnly announcing on TV the designer of her gown seems impossibly quaint compared to editor Anna Dello Russo cavorting for the cameras in a Moschino outfit fresh off the runway.

In such a climate, shops are increasingly being forgone in order to bridge the gap between the brand and the consumer. Today, brands are racing to open their own e-commerce stores and their designers do more interviews so they can become celebrities in their own right. One high-ranking official of a respected fashion brand, who asked to remain anonymous, told me that opening its own online shop was dictated by the current retail climate and that he viewed it as a do-or-die situation.

Is it all gloom and doom? Alex Kasavin, who is opening a new Williamsburg boutique, Idol, later this month, said, “It remains the role of any fashion boutique to edit and contextualize its products – through merchandizing, editorial strategies, etc. – and in doing so infuse them with greater significance and socio-cultural cachet.” Though he went on to acknowledge that it’s increasingly more than ever up to the brands to create identity of their product and that there is a real danger for a store to narrowly define itself in terms of aesthetic preferences. Lately, we have seen several high-profile examples of failure of such boutiques. Atelier in New York went out of business late last year and LN-CC in London had to be bought out of administration by an Italian company.

The stores are scrambling to adjust to this new reality, demanding exclusive products and often twisting the arms of young designers with impossible sale terms. Last year Barneys saturated the fashion media with their XO (Exclusively Ours) ads to stress exclusivity. This may stem the tide, but not stop it. By and large today’s customers know exactly what they want and where to get it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • ryanhast
    • Sep 2013

I wonder if this is more a younger crowd thing. I like experts. I have spent time in my life to become an expert at something and I know what it costs. So I place high value on those who are tastemakers within an industry. I enjoy walking into my favorite store and having someone I trust introduce me to new stuff. I don't always know what I want. I will admit that I will just shop for stuff I like/know if left alone, I appreciate a different but trusted perspective.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Thank you for your reply. I do think it's more of a younger crowd thing - the peer pressure is still there, and so is the Internet with loads of information in places such as this. I see a lot more research being done on the Internet first and a purchasing decision already half-formed.

I think also what Internet has done is really open up the periphery. Fashion is no longer confined to a handful of metropolises but the shops are still there. So even though now you can order remotely but you have to do your research first.

I invite more commentary as I think this is a very relevant topic and my article was an op-ed and not fashion gospel.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

There are a couple of things that to my mind count towards the demise of the store. First is super-availability. It's not just that there is more choice in itself, it's that it's almost impossible to discover anything new in a store, something you haven't seen before. They can't really wow you, since you've seen it on their (or someone else's) website. I was lamenting this while in Paris for a week last week. I used to get books on hard to find stores before travelling there and go and hunt them out, but the hard to fnd store is the dead store, so they probably have a website now, or their products are otherwise available (to me from) accross the world. That's the sad bit.
        The second main thing is the ability to try on stuff at home, take your time over a decision etc., and return if you're not happy. I cannot stand shoppping in stores now because there is a guy or girl standing outside waiting for me to tell them that I love it. I want to be left alone. And for me at least it's not an age thing, since I am ancient in SZ years.

Comment

• Dorje
          • Oct 2013

Sure, things continue to shift further to the direct to the consumer marketing model, using the internet as the sole mechanism to market the product in many cases.

This has caused a massive expansion of cottage industry in many markets and is becoming the new norm and more and more consumers are spending their money online rather than in B&M stores.

I'm not sure the traditional B&M store offers the same value they used to and increasingly there is less and less room for middlemen, especially when direct-marketed goods can be sold for far less... how can B&M stores compete? They certainly can't on price, and as Johnny said there is much less to "wow" you anymore, so why even bother?

Barneys is trying to stay relevant by offering exclusive products and that is just limiting competition, a very good move imo, but also a last ditch effort to save a dying institution...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I don't think B&M will go away, Dorje, but that more and more it will be a hybrid model of B&M/Internet. By the way, 90% Americans still shop at B&M for clothes. I don't remember where I saw this statistic, but I was surprised. So, the Internet still has a way to go.

There are still things B&M can offer that the Internet cannot - human interaction, a conversation, knowledge, instant gratification, and in some cases taste making is still valid. What will go away though, as Johnny rightly notes, is the holier than though attitude on the part of sales people. There is simply no room for this left.

And, also, dealing with the Internet purchases can be a major pain in the ass. Wrong sizing, bad photos, shipping, customs, returns, refunds, etc - it's enough to drive anyone nuts. All of us at one time or the other got not what we expected through an Internet purchase.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
              • Dec 2008

I think physical stores do offer this 'wow' effect far more then webshops will ever do. I remember touching and inspecting fabrics by M.A+ and CCP for the first time and was blown away by details that are hard to capture and often not really shown in webshops. When I was still in discovering brands like these online, I have often tried to justify prices just by images from webshops. And although I found the designs (silhouettes, shapes and forms) interesting, I couldn't understand these abnormal prices. But investigating the real deal made me understand it more. For me to go shopping in physical stores is exploring what else is out there. Let myself be surprises by 3D garments instead of sometims misleading images from the web.

With the knowlegde I now have for certain brands, I find it much easier to buy them online. The thing is that I really want to avoid the hassle of returning goods because it'll make the goods more expensive (double shipping etc.) and it's time consuming like Faust said a real pain in the ass. Therefore I'd rather be pretty sure when buying online that I will not return it eventually. And being more sure about online purchases comes from experiences in physical stores. Handling the product and knowing the correct sizing and fabric/structure of the garments.

I guess your spendable amount of money plays a role as well. I could imagine people buying RO as if it was H&M could care less about extra costs of shipping etc...

But what online shopping also offers is this pleasure delay, knowing that your goods are sometimes coming from the other side of the world (non-sweatshop parts :)) and are making a long journey and sometimes more personal then going to real shops were it is hard to get objective feedback. Shop owners or assistants need to sell and tend to say everything always looks good. The curiousity when an online purchase finally arrives and the days before wishing it would arrive any moment also makes it a fun experience I think.

I think both offline and online shops are equally important for different reasons.
              Grailed link

Comment

• William Bleak
                • Feb 2014

As a young person, I have to say that I've grown absolutely sick of salespeople and shop owners refering me towards their websites and online shops. It takes so much of the experience away... I probably would never have gotten turned onto this side of fashion if I hadn't visited a certain Berlin boutique and actually handled some of the fabrics and tried on some of the clothes.
                This "experiencing" of fashion instead of looking and immitating is what seperates higher-end designers from fast fashion imo.
                And in terms of the article, I think it overestimates the impact of celebrities and underestimates the internet and especially sites like tumblr in their effect on youth. One must look no further than the Geobasket craze that was propagated through countless reblogs, reposts and discussions on those sites.

Comment

• conventionintervention
                  • Jan 2013

I absolutely agree with the idea of a curated retail experience being irreplaceable. There's nothing quite like it and I really love going to smaller boutiques to see the pieces in person. I can't imagine a physical retail space disappearing all together. The online shop is also still very new. I feel like there is so much opportunity for an online retail space to be just as interesting and intriguing of an experience as a physical one.
                  "To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

A couple things...

- Folks living in large metro areas may have access to retail stores that still provide a great experience. That's awesome and I agree it would be nice to be able to go somewhere to handle and look at items I am interested in buying. I think though, that relatively few people live close enough to shops that carry high end designers let alone smaller niche designers. And for the shops that are still open, I would guess that making it work isn't as easy as it used to be...

- There is probably a large disparity in the buying habits of the average clothing consumer vs people who are into fashion. So yeah, I can see that 90% of people would buy clothing locally because it is very nice to try it on and handle it before you buy it. I'd guess the return rate for clothing ordered from the internet is high. For me, I keep about half or less of the pieces I order. I don't know why it isn't common practice to post actual measurements of clothing online.

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

a store is a taste maker when it's main focus is more of a cultural one.

it's not about the clothes people.

the web will never be able to replace that.

before wallpaper city guides and time out if you wanted to really know what was happening in a city you went to record shops and vintage boutiques. the sa's were artists, musicians, party kids, who had their fingers on the pulse. they'd dial you in on cool art shows to check out, where their favorite dinning spots were, and what underground happenings were going on. oh, and if you needed some new duds to wear, they'd point you in the right direction.

to me, that's what fashion is. it's what it will always be.

it's not about the clothes.

and as "supporters" of this ideal, it's us as the "consumers" who have the power to make this new paradigm right, instead of watching it spiral out.
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

this is an interesting conversation, because since I moved to tokyo the only online order that i've done has been Rick x Adidas because they didn't have it in the colorway, in my size in the entire country. Otherwise I would have bought it at the brick and mortar, but then again, I also have every brand/flagship available to my disposal to look at everything I want so it's not fair for someone who doesn't have this extreme luxury, which I am forever grateful for of course.

I totally know exactly where Unwashed is coming from, I saw pictures of the Ria Dunn Parachute jacket (SS14) and when I saw it in person it was so many times better than any picture on the internet could ever describe, and this is just one of the many situations that occur.

Or for example when you're shopping for Falerio Sarti scarves, how are you supposed to know what i feels like, or for Daniel Andresen how do you decide between superfine merino or another material without ordering both and seeing which one you like better?

I like brick and mortar, it serves a fantastic and important purpose that would make my life a lot harder if they were eliminated, but luckily that's never going to happen.
                        Originally posted by unwashed
                        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                        Originally posted by Ahimsa
                        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Dorje
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by fncyths View Post

before wallpaper city guides and time out if you wanted to really know what was happening in a city you went to record shops and vintage boutiques. the sa's were artists, musicians, party kids, who had their fingers on the pulse. they'd dial you in on cool art shows to check out, where their favorite dinning spots were, and what underground happenings were going on. oh, and if you needed some new duds to wear, they'd point you in the right direction.
                          Good post! I am old enough to remember record stores, going in and spending money on tapes, then CDs... The local ones were always the best and a major way to get introduced to new music, hear about local shows, etc.

I can understand the parallels to fashion, and maybe we are a little worse off for not having local stores around anymore for things like this...

TD, nice post too, that sounds great to be able to visit stores and see whatever you like in person. I live in the Denver area and while there are a lot of people around, it's not a Big City like NYC or Tokyo! For fashion, it's a wasteland for the most part.

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

it's not about the clothes? clothes shops are not about the clothes? i sort of know what you are saying, or rather why you are saying it, but if you think it's not about the clothes ask the Atelier folks. they have no clothes to sell any more - and no shop.
                            i've told this story before, but a while ago, so forgive me. once in leclaireur, i overhead the manager telling the sa's to get the most expensive stuff out to the front of the racks and on the shelves when they saw a bunch of customers coming in that they perceived to be well off. you can have all the scented candles and hammered metal fittings - or indeed Beuys suits hanging on the walls - you like, but that there was real curation in action.

Comment

• DWWM
                              • Mar 2014

I only feel compelled to buy online if there is a sale and I see something that I really want that I otherwise couldn't afford. E-commerce doesn't really hold my interest unless it has a strong personality, which most e-commerce sites don't. I really don't want to be pandered to. I want to be challenged and surprised. I like being part of an environment that feels cultural and physical. Browsing online just seems so bloodless and detached from any kind of experience.

I also enjoying visiting a brick-and-mortar shop because I like the tactility of the experience. Maybe I'm not representative of most other twenty-somethings my age, but I don't buy clothes all the time and therefore I only really visit e-commerce sites to 'research' things I might consider buying at physical retail. High-end fashion is too expensive for me to not get a rounded idea of the garment; I'm talking about how it feels, and how it looks when I'm actually wearing it.

I do find it irritating when I order something online and it doesn't fit or looks different to how I expected. I hate the feeling of disappointment, and having to wait for a courier to come collect it.

One of the interesting things about the supposedly growing popularity of e-commerce in comparison to physical retail is how much it contradicts the notion that people's attention spans are narrowing. Shouldn't delayed gratification be more of a hindrance to our instant gratification culture?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎