• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

What Men Want - Spring 2014

Here is an edited selection of men's buyers saying what currently sells.
    Now, I take whatever buyers say with a very large grain of salt, but I think this is still very interesting for the zeitgeist.

The full article is on WWD.

“Men are enjoying fashion as much as women — even if they do not shop the same way, [or] as often, but they are more and more sensitive to the fashion trends. They are also very loyal customers. Among are bestsellers are Balenciaga and Lanvin sneakers.” — Laure Heriard Dubreuil, The Webster

“Saint Laurent continues to perform for us. Our customers are really responding to the authenticity of Hedi [Slimane’s] vision for the brand, and are buying into the full looks.” — Damien Paul, Matchesfashion.com

Graphic sweatshirts from Neil Barrett are among the top sellers in the designer area at Printemps.

“The Scoop men’s customer has been investing in fashionable and functional outerwear from Dsquared2, Moncler and Aether.” — Bryan Reynolds, Scoop

“After our ground floor renovation, our accessories business is great, particularly in small and large leather goods [from Balenciaga and others]. The business is growing dramatically.” — Tom Kalenderian, Barneys New York

“Givenchy’s flame prints are this season’s cult item — the sweatshirt in that print sold out within two hours of landing online.” — Damien Paul, Matchesfashion.com

“In sportswear, our strongest business is men’s designer from Prada and Rick Owens to Thom Browne.” — Tom Kalenderian, Barneys New York

“There is such energy around Y-3 at the moment.” — Eleanor Robinson, Selfridges

“Right from the start of the season, products like short-sleeve shirts, polos, T-shirts and shorts have been selling, specifically knits by Marni.” — Takashi Hattori, Beams

“Our customer prefers to stick to basic and versatile colors such as black, white, navy and gray, but also opts for allover patterns including florals and similar graphic prints [such as this one from Billionaire Boys Club].” — Gillian Wong, Hypebeast

“We’re selling lightweight down jackets and vests, as well as technical outerwear [from Stone Island]. We’re seeing lots of layers, and as a result, the pieces are getting thinner and thinner.” — Sam Ben-Avraham, Atrium

“Biker jackets from Saint Laurent and Balmain are also the outerwear piece of choice for the Farfetch guy.” — Gabrielle de Papp, Farfetch
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • returningson
    • Aug 2012

"Givenchy’s flame prints are this season’s cult item"...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

It's double considering the price.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
        • Jan 2013

I noticed Hood by Air gets stocked in many EU ''High-end'' stores since SS14 and gets sold out within a 1-2 weeks. I DON'T like HBA.
        a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Yes, I'm surprised HBA got not mention. I guess we'll have to wait until next season.

I went to RSVP Gallery while in Chicago last week - I thought it was very interesting in terms of the zeitgeist.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
            • Jan 2013

I have to agree with you on that aspect, they also have a strong team when it comes to marketing and press, hence they are so popular in a short amount of time I guess, but still..I must say the people who follow the stream/media and lack personality are the ones who wear it the most, but thats from my perspective and how I see people wearing it down here in The Netherlands. kind of the new ''youth'' -> Kanye West fans?
            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

is there an element of 'ask the waiter what's good on the menu and he'll recommend whatever hasn't sold much that evening...' in these buyer comments?

i mean, seriously...?
              “There is such energy around Y-3 at the moment.” — Eleanor Robinson, Selfridges

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

That's exactly what I'm afraid of when I read any buyer interview. Still, they are ground troops with important knowledge.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
                  • May 2008

The men they're talking about have lots of money and that is all.
                  Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Picasso
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                    I noticed Hood by Air gets stocked in many EU ''High-end'' stores since SS14 and gets sold out within a 1-2 weeks. I DON'T like HBA.
                    Thank the hypebeast. I'm honestly surprised Abloh's Off-white wasn't selling as quick as his 'pyrex' line was.

@Faust no idea you where in Chicago. I was at RSVP recently as well and they thought it was funny that i bought 1 condom from marc jacobs. And they wouldn't even let me take pics inside

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                      Thank the hypebeast. I'm honestly surprised Abloh's Off-white wasn't selling as quick as his 'pyrex' line was.

@Faust no idea you where in Chicago. I was at RSVP recently as well and they thought it was funny that i bought 1 condom from marc jacobs. And they wouldn't even let me take pics inside
                      Pretty common practice for boutiques to prohibit photos from within their doors. Nine times out of ten, it's probably someone fairly innocent wanting to snap a quick photo or two but you'd be surprised at the nut jobs that do it to either case the place or to use the photos as "inspiration."

A lot of boutiques, both free standing and e-commerce, around the globe are tired of Rag&Bone and a lot of the other contemporary brands the US has been exporting for the past few years and see a new-found energy in the HBA/Off-White movement.

Also, did anyone notice today's article about OAK? American Apparel is running the show for them now and I had no idea and they've expanded to LA and Paris!
                      "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yeah, I saw that one. Grand opening, grand closing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Picasso View Post

http://antisociety.com/virgil-abloh-rapes-the-youth/
                          a fish out of water dies

Comment

• returningson
                            • Aug 2012

morning laugh

Comment

• 550BC
                              • Jan 2013

returningson
                              this part haha.
                              a fish out of water dies