Originally posted by 550BC View Post

returningson
      this part haha.
      I know...

the guy has valid points....

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

what's wrong with espadrilles now? are these made from some stupid material / stupidly priced, or are you just mocking a classic french summer shoe type for no reason?

Comment

• returningson
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by galia View Post
          what's wrong with espadrilles now? are these made from some stupid material / stupidly priced, or are you just mocking a classic french summer shoe type for no reason?
          because they are Martha stewart style designed by a douche and cost way more than they should. Same thing with the gym shorts and the other junk he designs.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by returningson View Post
            because they are Martha stewart style designed by a douche and cost way more than they should. Same thing with the gym shorts and the other junk he "designs."
            You forgot quotation marks. Fixed.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
              • Jan 2013

There is nothing wrong with these, but that he states his "work" as "Hood culture, what thugs and the youth would wear now in the hood. Then yes the author makes a perfect comment about espadrilles in my opinion, because no thug or person living in a violent hood with gangbangers would wear this. I rather keep Karl Kani as a hood culture brand than fucking Virgil with his crap. And keep movies as Menace 2 Society and Boyz N The Hood as a memory for the future about hood culture, but he tries to rewrite/remake a cheap version of the "hood" and infects the ignorant part of the youth with his virus. I bet Virgil never even cooked with that Pyrex
              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Well, this thread went nowhere fast...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• returningson
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    You forgot quotation marks. Fixed.
                    you are absolutely right!

Comment

• deltapie
                      • Feb 2014

Pyrex & Off white are terrible, but who ever was in charge of the Anti-Society look book........
                      "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

• Blackman
                        • Feb 2011

The Core of what Shane Oliver is doing with HBA is respectable. He makes no bones about his sexuality, even incorporating it into his work. Shane pushing the boundaries of fashion and style while not only being one of the few new, YOUNG, un-pedigreed designers, but Shane is also creating the lane for urban (read Black), gay, sub-culturalist to be mentioned and even sold along side some of the most expensive and/or luxurious brands in the world.

Having hypebeast, and rich people globally, knowingly or unknowingly buying into HBA's philosophy, is the Icing on the Cake. Though IMO, Everything about this brand is WTF worthy, Every HBA runway show has been interesting, as well as the garments season by season..And I think it's a breath of fresh air considering where he was at when I learned about the brand in 06 or 07(when was even more dirtier, hypersexualized, hood).

I can't forget TELFARE either...

However Virgil's offwhite/pyrex garbage, and been trill's trash needs to be burned with fire. No creativity, overpriced, ZERO quality and even re-appropriated (virgil buying the lot of Rugby RL Flannels on Final sale for at least $16 a piece and reselling them for $560 a piece after screen printing) clothing is gunna be the death of a youth lead fashion movement.

When I say youth lead fashion movement, I mean something along the lines of what hip-hop has done for the music industry. It comes from a place of little to no resources, it's completely against the grain, and not everyone is gunna like it, because it's MADE for a specific type of peoples. This is Hood By Air, Telfare.

Been Trill, OFFWHITE/Pyrex, Kanyebrand, etc. are the vanilla ices. Taking something unique to a certain peoples, and cashing it out to the mainstream, inevitably making the by product over-saturated, bland, periodical, all the while giving MORE credibility to the detractors who have always hated the origins and the meaning behind the product...But I digress...

Comment

• Picasso
                          • Jul 2013

It's just a mirror of a culture. You know suburban kids who want to feel hood. But honestly who's really about that life?

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

your youth lead argument was a little heavy-handed lolololol

Comment

• returningson
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                              It's just a mirror of a culture. You know suburban kids who want to feel hood. But honestly who's really about that life?
                              "White America, I could be one of your kids, white America, little Eric looks just like this"

Comment

• applecrisp
                                • Jun 2013

I feel like I first saw HBA at Seven (NYC), does that sound right?

I always thought of it as a kid who liked fashion and knew maybe what was next, but never anything groundbreaking. If it's the stuff I'm thinking of that I saw at Seven (maybe in '07??) it looked like Raf Simons SS04 collection to me, but simplified for the masses.

I think it's pretty funny what he's doing now, though. It's basically like this stuff is the Polo Sport for the hood kids today but instead of being the work of a rich, white, elitist guy, it's made by a gay black man, both categorizations traditionally opposed by true hood inhabitants.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎