Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

It's not misinformation on my part. I asked someone reputable about it.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• dji
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      That's a conspiracy theory at best. The pre-Fall 16 leathers have Made in Moldova tags. Stop spreading misinformation.
      probably just has to do with factory capacity, fall-winter has more speciality/high-priced leathers (shearlings, cashmere lined, etc.) that they keep production in Italy for while less leather products for spring-summer means they don't need to outsource to factories outside of Italy. besides, I've never had any issues with the construction of any of the pieces I've owned that were made in Moldova. the finishing of the footwear on the other hand (all of which is still made in Italy) has been hit and miss..

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        It's not misinformation on my part. I asked someone reputable about it.
        Who??
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hausofblaq
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by grapefruitpop View Post
          I can only think of one:

1. He likes to see big digits in his bank account

I know you guys like your Rick Owens (and other "holy" designer) worship temples in the corner of your closets. But capitalism still reigns supreme. He more or less runs a business and the last thing on his mind is fair or just pricing.
          Although this is true, and the increasing prices of all designers are also case in point, I disagree that he's making the turbobaskets that high of a price just for pure profit.

I remember shuit did a review on a Rick piece a few years back on his tumblr, and he rated the "Worth" of the piece to be "just to test brand loyalty," which I believe holds more true for this case.

Like Shucks said, I'm guessing it's more of an experiment to see if there are people in the market that are willing to pick up such an *ahem* ugly *ahem* shoes for that ludicrous price. As it's the first iteration of the turbobaskets in nylon, the amount produced are probably fairly limited, meaning the profits gained from it are definitely not that much.

P.S. I hope this experiment fails and we don't see wacky colorways of the turbobaskets in nylon in the future. Who knows, maybe nylon Geobaskets are next.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dji View Post
            probably just has to do with factory capacity, fall-winter has more speciality/high-priced leathers (shearlings, cashmere lined, etc.) that they keep production in Italy for while less leather products for spring-summer means they don't need to outsource to factories outside of Italy. besides, I've never had any issues with the construction of any of the pieces I've owned that were made in Moldova. the finishing of the footwear on the other hand (all of which is still made in Italy) has been hit and miss..
            it's not about quality - it's about the fact that moldova has some of the worst factory conditions and lowest wage levels in the WORLD (known as 'poverty wages' because they sustain poverty rather than reduce it) and that workers therefore can't even remotely near live off their wages and have to work extremely long hours which leads to accidents, severe health problems and social problems (family issues etc.). buying 'made in moldova' is the same as buying products made in bangladesh or cambodia.

Comment

• bukka
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
              it's not about quality - it's about the fact that moldova has some of the worst factory conditions and lowest wage levels in the WORLD (known as 'poverty wages' because they sustain poverty rather than reduce it) and that workers therefore can't even remotely near live off their wages and have to work extremely long hours which leads to accidents, severe health problems and social problems (family issues etc.). buying 'made in moldova' is the same as buying products made in bangladesh or cambodia.
              Exactly. In this regard, Geoffrey wrote an interesting post yesterday in his designer thread.
              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• ES3K
                • Oct 2008

Who??
                Isn't re-labelling with "Made in Italy" common practice? As far as I know a lot of "Italy" stuff is produced in China, shipped to Italy where they do some "finishing" touches (like buttons; or just attaching the label). It's a global circus, with a lot of subcontractors.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Who??
                  I don't feel comfortable outing anyone, you can take my word for it or not.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                    Isn't re-labelling with "Made in Italy" common practice? As far as I know a lot of "Italy" stuff is produced in China, shipped to Italy where they do some "finishing" touches (like buttons; or just attaching the label). It's a global circus, with a lot of subcontractors.
                    The law has been that 10% of the labor has been done in Italy. They have been trying to tighten the standards, but I haven't followed this story lately.

Dudley, I'm not going to take your word for it, I'm afraid.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                      • Sep 2011

The law has been that 10% of the labor has been done in Italy. They have been trying to tighten the standards, but I haven't followed this story lately.
                      Only 10%. Swiss made label, used in watches mainly, needs 60%...!
                      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        fair point. I had a similar discussion with E but I guess it's too much to hope for any company to have some integrity and work to improve the quality of life for its employees in these low cost countries. where does it leaves said workers if consumers/companies blacklist manufacturing in their country though..

on topic, does anyone have worn pics of the Ramones scubasocks (besides the Rick one of course)?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Though I assume you want a man's photo?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

love that shoot but yeah was hoping to see some pics of the shorter model worn by a man. just wondering how to style them (like Guidi's?), I don't do the shorts and tights look unless I'm running in the cold.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by dji View Post
                              love that shoot but yeah was hoping to see some pics of the shorter model worn by a man. just wondering how to style them (like Guidi's?), I don't do the shorts and tights look unless I'm running in the cold.
                              I tried them with some cropped pants and it looked great and I don't like wearing cropped pants with the normal high ramones so this will be perfect.
                              High ramones for pods or under tighter memphis or leather, socks on all cropped pants.
                              As soon as I get my size I will post a pic.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• BodyDouble
                                • Jan 2014

Regarding the Moldova Factories and wether Owenscorp will switch tags or not, what is the general consensus then on supporting such practices? Has anyone found any info on Rick or anyone in his company speaking out about it? One of the reasons I kept supporting Rick was because he always spoke out about keeping a close eye on the production and conditions of his factories and employees. I noticed he's now replacing the viscose blend t-shirts with Bamboo (and charging luxury prices for something inexpensive and harmful to our bodies and environment once it goes through the chemical process). I know there are other threads on this subject matter, but the whole thing leaves me with a bad feeling moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎