X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

There is a reason a large portion of this board is supporting artisanal designers (Rick is not included in this, obviously).

I was going to say that as you grow you are forced to seek other methods of production. But then there is Hermes and Brunello Cuccineli, both bigger than Rick. Cuccineli is a particularly fascinating example.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BodyDouble
      • Jan 2014

Great reply, thanks Faust.

I agree about Cuccinelli, and to a certain extent, Hermes as they primarily focus on leather goods and produce a much more limited range and amount of clothing than Rick.

I would settle for Drkshdw being made in Moldova or in a mass produced fashion rather than 80% of the mainline, but such is life.

Comment

• cyberthom
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by BodyDouble View Post
        Regarding the Moldova Factories and wether Owenscorp will switch tags or not, what is the general consensus then on supporting such practices? Has anyone found any info on Rick or anyone in his company speaking out about it? One of the reasons I kept supporting Rick was because he always spoke out about keeping a close eye on the production and conditions of his factories and employees. I noticed he's now replacing the viscose blend t-shirts with Bamboo (and charging luxury prices for something inexpensive and harmful to our bodies and environment once it goes through the chemical process). I know there are other threads on this subject matter, but the whole thing leaves me with a bad feeling moving forward.
        bamboo = viscose/rayon

Comment

• BodyDouble
          • Jan 2014

Right, but to my knowledge he wasn't using Viscose from Bamboo previously, rather from Wood Pines. Unfortunately I can't compare the Bamboo SS15 shirts to any of the Viscose T's I have as they all have a silk blend. That said, the silk blend t's are my favorite and I hope he continues to produce them.

Comment

• jskidder1
            • Jan 2011

the bamboo is a third option. it's not replacing anything, though it does feel and fit a lot like the silk/viscose blend. i'm personally not a fan after handling it in person, but i also much prefer unstable cotton to the silk blends anyway. it's by far his cheapest tshirt option though, so i imagine they will sell like crazy.

Comment

• BodyDouble
              • Jan 2014

Awesome, Thanks J!

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Not sure this has been posted here. Press release for FAUN. Nothing we'd not heard before, but put into context, even the awful spring blades make sense. He's good at this post rational thing.

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Caetano
                  • Apr 2014

This collection briefing is quite coherent with what we saw in the show, everything really makes sense. But for a designer who said oftentimes not to care much about explanations, the text seems an attempt to make the collection covetable. I also feel he tries to explain the absurd pricing (HAND waxed cotton....).
                  “Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain." William Faulkner

Comment

• GucciAmen
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    Not sure this has been posted here. Press release for FAUN. Nothing we'd not heard before, but put into context, even the awful spring blades make sense. He's good at this post rational thing.

Although I find it very disappointing that Rick seems to be losing his way as he becomes even more "mainstream", I am very pleased to know that he was inspired by one of my favourite pieces, "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune"... I didn't like the collection all that much, but now I do understand the "woodsy" vibe a little better.

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

he's been aiming for the mainstream all along. just deal with it. how many times does it need to be explained...

Comment

• upsilonkng
                        • May 2010

i think trying to do extreme stuff for the runway while not trying to be all inclusive is not the same thing as trying to be mainstream, i mean shit, Rick could never be Michael Kors or Hedi or whatever. I don't hate this collection because it's trying to be mainstream, i hate it because i have the highest expectation from him and it's a huge letdown regardless of what it's based on or the story behind why it really truly is a letdown.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

I just don't see this at all. If anything, his runway shows have gotten more and more idiosyncratic and less and less wearable (or mainstream). Yes, his bread and butter is the same wearable leather/tees/sweats we see retailers picking up, but we can't really blame him for that. If he continues to grow, I see the end point as some kind of Comme Des Garçon model, complete creative freedom maintained at the top level supported by a number of more commercial lines and products.

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                          Although I find it very disappointing that Rick seems to be losing his way as he becomes even more "mainstream", I am very pleased to know that he was inspired by one of my favourite pieces, "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune"... I didn't like the collection all that much, but now I do understand the "woodsy" vibe a little better.
                          music

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

speaking of cdg diffusion lines - where is cdg diffusion line? that guy was funny af.

Comment

• avout
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                              i think trying to do extreme stuff for the runway while not trying to be all inclusive is not the same thing as trying to be mainstream, i mean shit, Rick could never be Michael Kors or Hedi or whatever.
                              Allow me to quote myself quoting Rick a few pages ago (I need a bot for this):

Originally posted by avout View Post
                              ALTHOUGH YOUR PIECES ARE WEARABLE, IT SEEMS THAT THERE ARE NOT MANY WOMEN WHO CAN REALLY LOOK GOOD IN YOUR CLOTHING. WHICH KIND OF WOMEN WOULD YOU LIKE IN YOUR CLOTHING?

I WOULD LIKE MY CLOTHES TO BE FOR EVERYONE. I WANT TO CREATE AN INCLUSIVE WORLD, NOT AN EXCLUSIVE ONE.
                              So he is trying to be all inclusive. But that's a detail, and I get what you meant.

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                              I don't hate this collection because it's trying to be mainstream, i hate it because i have the highest expectation from him and it's a huge letdown regardless of what it's based on or the story behind why it really truly is a letdown.
                              Okay, now this is a fair point. Inclusion/exclusion aside, I agree that the last few collections just haven't been quite there. I mean I enjoy the shows and always find pieces to like. But then the other day I stumbled upon the video for Crust again and man, that's a whole 'nother level. I think most of us here would agree that Faun, Moody, Plinth etc aren't on the same level, even without getting bogged down with whether it's Moldova or Italy or mainstream or hip-hop or whatever. I feel like there's a degree of apprehension that even the defenders of current Rick stuff -- like me -- can't help but feel, regardless of how it's described.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                                • May 2010

i meant trying to be all inclusive actually, the not was an extra.
                                Crust is still my favorite Rick or otherwise show/season it's the reason i'm here and for me the beginning of all of this, for me. So yeah i would agree that nothing has touched Crust, and for me personally nothing ever will. It's like Goo or Sister for Sonic Youth fans or a Love Supreme for Coltrane people.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎