Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

I think the switchblade is excellent sole design but looks terrible w/ adidas's default upper and is socio-culturally somewhat overcoded by the fact that such a major corporation came up with it. Screw socio-cultural codings, I care more about "innate" properties of the design. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to fix the upper... but, should a designer try to design things that make him/her look intelligent, or should s/he design the best work/product that s/he can?
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
      this Adidas thing... more and more I'm starting to believe will be the death of Rick.
      Agree to a very small extent.

and anyone who falls for this I honestly have to question if u even really care about these designers at all or if u are just a flat out label whore. I think u don't and u are.
      Shouldn't be surprising, what usually happens when large corporations get involved? product not art that's for sure. That seems to be where we're heading..
      i mean shit man that blade shit and then shelltoes? what's next? is Rick going to outfit RunDMC??? don't laugh because it'll probably happen, he already did those fake huge adidas shorts, how long before a full dmc sweat outfit w/ those shelltoes? coming in at a clean $4K retail, I know Shucks is already wearing it.

you come across as pretty aggressive lol. I guess not everyone has as noble a wardrobe as you.

I'd never buy anything from the rick/adidas collaboration because I only buy a new pair of shoes every 6-9 months or so. Really I don't even need to buy that often. Where do you draw the line at what is excessive consumption?

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

I don't know what ur talking about. Adidas designs what nike designs 6 months to a year to however it takes them to make a worse looking version that doesn't work as well. That's what Adidas does. I can point out about 100 shoes in the last 10 years. And reebok... I think they give rappers shoes they don't design squat.
        I don't think it should be ricks job to make a horrible looking sole that's passable in function only because it's not as awkward as it looks look good or decent. I like Rick doing Rick. But it seems I'm in the minority.

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

My wardrobe is far from noble I have Adidas x Jesus x World Cup sandals...

Comment

• trentk
            • Oct 2010

I don't know what ur talking about.
            What I'm saying is that if you consider the design out of the blue (say, some no name young designer with no past history suddenly released a shoe collection like this season's rick/adidas collection, and adidas never came up with the switchblade concept) it would be a good line of shoes and the correct way to design them would be with a minimal upper so as to emphasize the sole.

As it turns out, the history of the item is that adidas came up with the switchblade and did a terrible job of executing it (ugly upper)... that history taints perception of the sole, but is not innate in the sole, it's just a contingent property. In order to get to the good design, rick only had to take a tiny uncreative step - minimizing the uppers. The fact that events occurred in such a way that placed a good design in a causal location which the designer of them look neutral/bad is contingent and does not factor into my evaluation of the shoes themselves.

Good design on the designer's part and good design in the product are not always the same thing.

I don't follow adidas, so I can't confirm, but you're probably right about adidas being an uncreative company that rips of nike.
            Last edited by trentk; 06-28-2014, 04:28 AM.
            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• sybarite
              • May 2014

Will the blades fall off though?

As for the clothes, let's be blunt: looks like an intern ran off with Rick's crayons.

Comment

• Jun 2013

SHOWstudio: Rick Owens Menswear - Spring / Summer 2015 Panel Discussion

...what do you guys think about this?

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Oh, also made in China, no dust bag, no spare laces. I'm expecting the same for the 2nd and 3rd collabs? I mean they're not deal breakers but still.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

I've never been a huge fan of Rick's work but could appreciate a lot of it... and I do like some of the tailored looks from past seasons but the newer collections do nothing for me, in fact I find something repulsive about them.

Comment

• other_animals
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                      How do spring blades even feel? Does anyone have any experience? I imagine gallant bouncing/prancing, very deer like. I didn't really pay much attention to the Rick show because I already saw Prometheus when it came out but these spring blade trainers have been popping up the most. These look more like building upon a current silhouette as opposed to the original rickdidas which looked like a whole new concept

But on to my thoughts. I wanted to give myself some time to process this, after my initial reaction of NOPE, but thats where I still stand. I want to like this so much, I mean, this is my color palette to a T, and I think I just keep holding out to once again being blown away by a Rick collection after the last few seasons of meh, but I just can't. This is all just too Rick by Raf by JW Anderson for me. Clearly there are some great pieces in the mix. A lot of this feels gimmicky, I just CANT with the harnesses, and don't get me started on the rickdidas mess footwear. Guess I'll just keep waiting...

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                        It has become an interesting thing making opinion about rick collections - stores buy the safe pieces, which are barely shown on the runway anyway, hence making the runway shows somehow a tangent to the actual buyable pieces. Anyhow, I find this entirely disinteresting, except for look 31 on the GQ page. The footwear looks clumsy as fuck. The prints look as if they are nicely done (while the motif is not my cup of tea). Surely there will be some nice pieces in there somewhere, looking forward to one of you boys reporting form the showroom
                        completely agree with this.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• jogu
                          • Jun 2009

showroom is the new runway . i like a few garments here n there from this and overall i give it a thumbs up . he still does the kinda clothes i wanna wear , dat double breasted lightweight coat ... yes maam sign my ass up !

Comment

• stemcell
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by other_animals View Post
                            I just CANT with the harnesses

Comment

• stemcell
                              • Jul 2011

Interview on SS15.
                              Clearly a lot of great references & background as usual.
                              Primal vs sophisticated is nicely straightforward, and Debussy certainly doesn't hurt. The explanation of the drawings is rather tender.

This is "RICK OWENS MEN'S SS15 INTERVIEW" by ANTONIOLI.EU on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                                • Jul 2010

I don't know what ur talking about. Adidas designs what nike designs 6 months to a year to however it takes them to make a worse looking version that doesn't work as well. That's what Adidas does. I can point out about 100 shoes in the last 10 years. And reebok... I think they give rappers shoes they don't design squat.
                                I don't think it should be ricks job to make a horrible looking sole that's passable in function only because it's not as awkward as it looks look good or decent. I like Rick doing Rick. But it seems I'm in the minority.
                                No you're not - please bring back the Rick aesthetics, please!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎