• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ Reminder
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

something is seriously wrong in a world where people need to be reminded to go to a party where genesis p-orridge is performing...

wish i could go.

Comment

• Irara
        • May 2014

I'd be more than happy to see pictures from the event as I can hardly comprehend the combination if Yang Li and Genesis P-orridge in one performance. What a striking contrast they must make! The later I have always associated with the shapes and the colors of decaying vitality of September nature while the former to me seemed like abstract non-human geometry of paper architecture.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Not to worry, you shall have pictures!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

On Saturday SZ co-hosted an event for the tour of Yang Li and Genesis P-Orridge with Atelier at White Box in New York.

(click on image to view full coverage)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Shifts
              • Jul 2013

I hope it was a great event. What is striking with this picture (and all other pictures featured)? No iPhones up snapping away.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                I hope it was a great event. What is striking with this picture (and all other pictures featured)? No iPhones up snapping away.
                The event was great, lots of people, and the vibe was good. As for iPhones, don't worry people were having them out taking pics of the venue and the performance if they were in the back
                "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

The Rebirth of Atelier New York

(full article on www.sz-mag.com)

Atelier New York, an iconic menswear boutique that shuttered its doors in 2013, has reinvented itself, re-opening under new ownership as an eclectic shop for men and women. Since the rumor mill surrounding its rebirth has gone into overdrive, I decided to speak with Lu Han, the new owner, and Karlo Steel, the former co-owner who has remained at Atelier as head buyer.

We met in the lobby of Hotel Americano in West Chelsea, around the corner from where Atelier is now located on the tenth floor of a building in which other tenants are art galleries and fashion companies.

Steel just got back from the men’s shows in Paris and he was in high spirits despite the jetlag. He spoke animatedly about opening a new chapter and I could sense his excitement coming through his usually reserved demeanor. Han, who outsources buying decisions to Steel, stayed in New York to take care of Atelier’s business arrangements.

Han approached Steel and his partner, Constantin von Haeften, about purchasing the store after reading the article about its closure that I wrote for Business of Fashion. He already owned boutiques in New York in New Jersey that sold contemporary clothing, but he wanted to get into high fashion and he saw an opportunity in Atelier to acquire a shop with an established reputation. One condition of the sale was that Steel stayed onboard.

Atelier closed because it was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a very directional menswear shop. Therefore, it was clear to both Han and Steel that the store’s ethos had to change. First, despite all the cheerleading surrounding men’s fashion, it was obvious that it is still a small part of the fashion market. The new Atelier would begin to sell women’s fashion as well. Second, the store would need to diversify. This much was clear. But how to do this and to maintain Atelier’s DNA?

(continue here)
                  StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

Hopefully that gives some the sense of closure they needed after being forsaken by the light that was Atelier

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Killing it again on the piece, E. Was a pleasure to read, happy endings are great! I have yet to return to Atelier but I'll be back there soon!
                      Last edited by eleves; 03-21-2015, 07:00 PM.
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

who makes the lighter in the last image on the piece?
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• kompressorkev
                          • Dec 2006

Looking forward to all of those new editorial shoots! Karlo has some true skills in styling and creative direction. I'm glad to hear that he's still involved, and while this is certainly a shift from "Atelier" as we knew it, the times are different and the customers' profile and preferences have evolved, too. Good luck to them, and I also hope they find a nice permanent storefront.

Albert, that's a Yang Li lighter. Quote is from an esoteric text by occultist Aleister Crowley, and it was also used by Genesis P-O / Psychic TV, of course. Personally, I find the words a little creepy, but there you go.
                          Last edited by kompressorkev; 03-21-2015, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yes, it's a a Yang Li x Genesis collab.

Thanks, eleves.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Thanks for the details guys!
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎