• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleves
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
    Whats the address on the new location?
    Same address as the last location

And yeah to touch on what everyone else has been saying, I really loved this store and I'm happy that they're doing what they think they need to do to start on a new and steady path. It was inevitable that some brands would be picked up like Acne, which can easily be integrated into many different outfits and fashion interests. I personally wear an Acne coat that makes me impervious to the cold weather around me. Ididn't expect Marc Jacobs, Dsquared, Viktor and Rolf, Moschino, Off White... I definitely see the huge range of clientele this will appeal to, but I always thought the new buys would consist of brands that aren't what you'd expect from past Atelier but still running along the lines of a certain type of fashion, something playable into the outfit of the standard Atelier customer. Dancing on the fringes of WTF with some of the new designers here but I still respect what's going on and wish them luck
    Last edited by eleves; 01-18-2015, 11:52 PM.
    Originally posted by Faust
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• ACM
      • Jan 2011

Keeping the original name is just so confusing to me...they're obviously attracting a totally different customer, so why not just start over?

Comment

• Schleudersitz
        • Sep 2014

because a name that comes with a cache of having been the premiere purveyor within whatever niche is considered to be better than nothing. they are aiming for the broader clientele, but also hoping maybe that their former patrons will retain a sense of familiarity and continue to give them business.

Comment

• david s
          • Jul 2010

With so many additional brands, it seems they would be hard pressed to have an effective display. If they are keeping the last showroom space, it was not huge, at least compared to the last one occupied on Hudson.

If anything it seems like they're heading in a "ssense" direction. Maybe the new strategy will be larger reliance on e-commerce & a physical space to showcase upper end niche brands?

TBD
          It's absolutely Hedious!
          shy poser

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ no doubt
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

sounds like a great plan to me...

Comment

• wahnfrieden
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by david s View Post
                If anything it seems like they're heading in a "ssense" direction. Maybe the new strategy will be larger reliance on e-commerce & a physical space to showcase upper end niche brands?
                This makes so much more sense.

Comment

• jskidder1
                  • Jan 2011

they will have to rely on e-commerce if they are keeping that location. even with the old brand lineup it was a tough sell getting people all the way over there.

Comment

• david s
                    • Jul 2010

/\word.

9th floor (?) of a gallery heavy building, flung out on 10th avenue, not exactly the place for a lot of foot traffic

but god knows what ground level commercial space in chelsea is going for these days. I know someone who just moved their business from Meatpacking district because they were going to jack her rent up to something like 65k a month & she was on the 3rd floor of the building.
                    It's absolutely Hedious!
                    shy poser

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
                      they will have to rely on e-commerce if they are keeping that location. even with the old brand lineup it was a tough sell getting people all the way over there.
                      yeah definitely far out, but i like the idea of off the beaten path for the ambience for a shop. it's a good way to get the people who want to go to go. Even when compared to shops like DSM or Margiela in NY, Atelier's location literally has next to nothing near it. Maybe some parkgoers or artists will stumble upon it, but the tourism foot traffic is probably not going to be much. I'm down with the dedicated making the trip out
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                        • Jan 2014

I don't understand why everyone is in such a tizzy over the name staying the same. It's obvious this isn't Karlo and Constantin's baby anymore. When outside investors buy into a pre-existing business, they're automatically 10 yards ahead in terms of vendor accounts, clients, reputation, etc. In this circumstance, it doesn't make fiscal sense to call it something else. It's already risky enough returning to the struggling US retail market, hence the wide range of new brands.

This isn't the same Atelier. Once you can begin to accept that and stop taking this all so personally, you'll realize that it's not reopening to destroy everything the name once stood for. It's opening to make money.
                        "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Ah, BrokenBoards dropping some wisdom at last. Mythology, it dies hard.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

isn't it obvious that no investor is going to buy something that went out of business only to keep it the exact same

talk about a crazy lineup though, just look at hlorenzo. something for everyone there. hey wait, thats a good idea.....having something...for...everyone

well, everyone that can afford it.
                            Last edited by cjbreed; 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM.
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• eleves
                              • Sep 2012

It's going to be fun for sure. The biggest question is: are the fur walls in the fitting room staying or going?

Comment

• interest1
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by eleves View Post

It's going to be fun for sure. The biggest question is: are the fur walls in the fitting room staying or going?

They had a special name for that room. Ahem..
                                sain't

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎