Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bleu1950
    • Jan 2013

Great work. Looks like i wont be wearing one on my vampire killing mission!

Comment

• ahn
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
      So I dorked out and did a little more research to see if my thoughts were more than fanciful conjecture. It turns out there is definitive (scanning electron micrograph) evidence that silver nanoparticles can be impregnated into a nylon-6,6 matrix via the method I mentioned earlier, i.e.: silver nitrate bath followed by chemical reduction (in this case NaBH4, sodium borohydride). For anyone who wants a read through, here is a downloadable pdf link. Although it goes off into some scientific jargon later on in the article, the introduction is fairly straight forward.

As you correctly postulated Ahn, the porosity of of the nylon needs to be permeated by the metal in order to get it to properly bind within the 3 dimensional matrix. In the above paper, the solubilized ionic silver is able to enter the nylon pores, bind (via electrostatic forces) and is then subsequently "precipitated" out into their metallic form upon reduction but remain locked within the matrix/pores of the nylon (the reducing agent is small and can enter/exit the matrix and be solubilized whereas the precipitated silver probably forms "large" (~5-50 atoms) clusters and is insoluble, thus getting trapped.

Edit: If you own this sweater, probably best not to wash vigorously with soap, see here for experimental.
      Thank you for doing the research. Nanotechnology is so incredibly fascinating, and not an avenue I would have expected in a million years.
      some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
        ^ Yes! Good work blackfedora. I don't own any silver clothing yet, although I definitely like the idea. Now I'm going to use some caution. I've avoided nanoparticles in sunscreen because I don't think enough research has been done on how they behave in the body. The human body hasn't had to cope with these particles before and they can pass through cell walls.

I'd make a joke about not buying any silver underwear about now but I think it is a reality- because of silver's antimicrobial properties.

silver nanoparticles are both hazardous to the environment (which is where they end up eventually) and potentially to human health.

Comment

• byhand
          • Dec 2011

This idea that Deepti doesn't want to appear online is suspicious. What designer just starting a brand doesn't want an online presence, especially when the market is so niche that finding customers is going to be a challenge. I think it's more likely that someone else made that decision, and it's not too difficult to come up who it may be.

I hope this isn't a situation where the retailers are reluctant to showcase the designer's work online for fear of angering Mr. Poell. Let's face it, the retailers interested in carrying Deepti are the same short list of retailers carrying CCP. None of them want to get that phone call from CCP instructing them to ignore Deepti or at least not give her an online presence.

In the last few years we have at least a few employees, rather important employees, working for designers championed here who have started doing their own thing. Curious to know what has been going on behind the scenes to thwart the efforts of these creative folks who have decided to put their own names on their designs.

Humans are fickle and mercurial creatures. A trusted friend/employee/employer can become an enemy in the blink of an eye.
          Last edited by byhand; 11-16-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

From what I understand Deepti and Carol have a very good relationship. No need for unnecessary conspiracy theories :-)
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by byhand View Post
              Humans are fickle and mercurial creatures. A trusted friend/employee/employer can become an enemy in the blink of an eye.
              Oh please.
              I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
              I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• byhand
                • Dec 2011

I want to live in your world, where this is such an outlier that the notion can be easily scoffed at. Sounds like a nice place. My experience with humans must be a bit different than yours.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                  • Mar 2009

Well I guess so :)

Edit : here's a tip. Consider everyone as complete strangers all the time and pay attention to how they react to almost anything. It may help a bit with the "blink of an eye" part.

And keep being welcoming to strangers, old and new.
                  Last edited by Mail-Moth; 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM.
                  I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                  I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
                    ^ Yes! Good work blackfedora. I don't own any silver clothing yet, although I definitely like the idea. Now I'm going to use some caution. I've avoided nanoparticles in sunscreen because I don't think enough research has been done on how they behave in the body. The human body hasn't had to cope with these particles before and they can pass through cell walls.

I'd make a joke about not buying any silver underwear about now but I think it is a reality- because of silver's antimicrobial properties.
                    hence the term bluebloods.

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                      • May 2014

More pics at:

Have any of you seen the collection and care to comment on it? I know some of you were disappointed with the debut collection. Is the parka the same except for the pre-oxidization process? Also how are the bags?

Comment

• GucciAmen
                        • Sep 2014

/\ Is the last picture in that post a parka? That is the only thing I find to be interesting, the other few pieces look too formal for me, would make for a nice suit however. No one has said anything about pricing yet, are Deepti's pieces similar to CCP in that regard? Nothing yet on the second hand market to my knowledge.

Comment

• _AR
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                          No one has said anything about pricing yet, are Deepti's pieces similar to CCP in that regard? Nothing yet on the second hand market to my knowledge.
                          Pricing is similar at least in the US.

Comment

• Peasant
                            • Jul 2009

The interesting aspects are what you'll experience handling them in person. The fabrics, for instance.
                            Yes, many pieces are heavily tailored and formal - this is what she excels at. Pricing isn't absurd and what most people would expect. That's about the least interesting topic there is. A few pieces have gone second-hand for basically retail. Not many items which is a good sign.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PurpleJesuss View Post

Have any of you seen the collection and care to comment on it? I know some of you were disappointed with the debut collection. Is the parka the same except for the pre-oxidization process? Also how are the bags?
                              It's more or less the same collection. Deepti will be doing one collection a year, producing two seasons, so stores can restock. I suppose there are some variations in the garments to account for seasonality.

I loved the parka. Kinda want it. It's reversible - one side black, one side silver. And very noisy.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎