• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dommoney
    • Jul 2014

SHOWstudio: Ugly

SHOWstudio: Ugly Project

"Inspired by the deliberate awkwardness visible on high fashion runways in recent years, SHOWstudio unpicks certain designers' fascination with pushing the boundaries of taste and redefining luxury using prints, fabrics and motifs that have connotations of vulgarity, cheapness, garishness or kitsch."

The Ugly project features a film directed by Ruth Hogben and styled by Robbie Spencer with garments from brands such as Junya Watanabe, Schiaparelli, Prada, Alexander McQueen, Christopher Kane, and Rick Owens to show fashion's obsession with the grotesque and the uncanny.

There are also interesting essays and interviews from the likes of Valerie Steele, Alexander Fury, Lou Stoppard, Judith Clark, and other journalists and historians. The essays attempt to explore the origins of deliberate ugliness, the allure of it, its social impact and influence, and prominent advocates of the concept. My personal favorites are from: Lucy Norris, Ana Kinsella, Alexander Fury, and Valerie Steele.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting. Will delve into this over the weekend.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dommoney
      • Jul 2014

Great! Would love to hear you and everyone's opinions/discussions on the contents.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

i was just gonna post something about the umberto eco book here, but i see now they mention it on the front page of the site.

Comment

• dommoney
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
          i was just gonna post something about the umberto eco book here, but i see now they mention it on the front page of the site.
          Yes, I've been meaning to get that book. They also mentioned "The Uncanny", an essay by Freud, which I assume is quite fascinating. Freud's mind and his concepts show great creativity.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Save yourself some life time and do not bother with Eco's non-fiction.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Nor with his fiction

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dommoney View Post
                Yes, I've been meaning to get that book. They also mentioned "The Uncanny", an essay by Freud, which I assume is quite fascinating. Freud's mind and his concepts show great creativity.
                sig worthy
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎