• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlacknWhite
    • Apr 2014

Comment

• BrianK
      • Jan 2013

Reminds me of my past experience when i was young and confused visiting the rick owens store for the first and feeling compelled to purchase something out of the sheer pressure of being the only person in that store. A lot of it probably had to do with the embarrassment of looking like a window shopper and wanting to feel like i belonged

Comment

• volta
        • May 2009

I’d just quit my job to become a freelance writer
        reading this "article"... BIG MISTAKE.

she sounds fucking dumb, and then gloat about it to post this crap on the internet as 'journalism'? SMH.

these kids need to learn that not everything they do during their day has to be posted for everyone to see, nor is it considered "art".
        Last edited by volta; 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Shifts
          • Jul 2013

Maybe that text was posted in the wrong place, I dunno, for sure any personal blog would have been better to keep it out of reach for sensitive readers. But it didn't try to be something it wasn't ("art", wtf?).

I can definitely connect with that feeling she describes, especially when doing purchases close to being out of reach of what I can afford (not necessarily clothes).

Also read the entertaining GQ article about the Gucci shopaholic. While being miles more readworthy and entertaining, that article also made me feel a bit sick to my stomach which for sure didn't happen with the RO story. What is the reason no one here bashes that author in the same way (he is only given credibility as far as I can tell)? Is it only because it was more well-written? Hardly.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            The juice is not the brand but the thorough exploration of one's own psychology and one's relationship with clothing.
            +1
            That article was excellent, wtf is wrong with you people!!
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

i didn't think the article was that bad. surely not worthy of such ridicule and hate. i don't think the average SZ child of darkness was the intended audience.

i can agree with galia that this whole mini-memoir shit needs to die. but for what it is, it was fine. its a funny little fluffy piece about that feel when you've blown your wad on fashunz when you know its wrong and are too embarrassed to return it. thats all. i liked it. and i know every single person on this forum has done it before.

contrast that with the gucci article. its obviously much more serious and about more than just clothing. amazing article, but not the same thing. but i truly hope that not every person on this forum has done that before. that man has an illness. its compulsive. an addiction. and its awful. interesting, yes. like a good episode of intervention. or hoarders.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• volta
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                What is the reason no one here bashes that author in the same way (he is only given credibility as far as I can tell)? Is it only because it was more well-written? Hardly.
                because the topic wasn't created with that in mind, nor was it ever posted in here.

you think those who didn't like the opening piece can be assed to google about some little pussywhip? the internet is bloated with this rubbish, seen it too many times already, nothing new.

who buys rick for 4k without affording it and then GLADLY GLOAT about it on the web for good response? this broad.. obviously not the type of person who thinks through her actions.
                Last edited by volta; 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Spoken like a true misanthrope that you are, Volta.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Also read the entertaining GQ article about the Gucci shopaholic. While being miles more readworthy and entertaining, that article also made me feel a bit sick to my stomach which for sure didn't happen with the RO story. What is the reason no one here bashes that author in the same way (he is only given credibility as far as I can tell)? Is it only because it was more well-written? Hardly.
                    THAT'S THE POINT!!!!

It was an honest exploration into one's own psyche, honest in its indulgence and self-revulsion, a much more rewarding article than this glorified blog post from the cut.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by volta View Post
                      because the topic wasn't created with that in mind, nor was it ever posted in here.

you think those who didn't like the opening piece can be assed to google about some little pussywhip? the internet is bloated with this rubbish, seen it too many times already, nothing new.

who buys rick for 4k without affording it and then GLADLY GLOAT about it on the web with good response? this broad.. obviously not the type of person who thinks through her actions.
                      The other article is an interesting investigation into male inadequacy and addiction. People who think you have to agree with the author to be interested in a text are morons.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Shifts
                        • Jul 2013

THAT'S THE POINT!!!!

It was an honest exploration into one's own psyche, honest in its indulgence and self-revulsion, a much more rewarding article than this glorified blog post from the cut.
                        Yes, which I also acknowledged that it was, by a long-shot.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                          • Jul 2013

What is the reason no one here bashes that author in the same way (he is only given credibility as far as I can tell)? Is it only because it was more well-written? Hardly.
                          A young, privileged girl who can afford to quit her job and become a freelance writer buys an expensive jacket. What risk did she really take? Having to move back in with her parents for a while? Having to swallow her pride and sell the jacket or whatever other stuff she has of value to make rent?

A successful writer who has likely earned millions off of a book/movie/TV series with a wife, children, and reputation goes off the deep end with binge shopping on "inappropriate" clothing and S&M and all sorts of shit. Risk isn't even one of his criteria because he is an addict.

I find the latter far more fascinating than the former.

EDIT: Apparently, there was an epilogue of sorts

Last edited by DudleyGray; 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM.
                          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• upsilonkng
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by volta View Post

who buys rick for 4k without affording it and then GLADLY GLOAT about it on the web for good response? this broad.. obviously not the type of person who thinks through her actions.
                            did u just call a girl a "broad" ?? are u Al Capone? do u restore movies for TMC? holy time traveller ...

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                              did u just call a girl a "broad" ?? are u Al Capone? do u restore movies for TMC? holy time traveller ...
                              You made my day
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• LOVE
                                • Dec 2007

confessions of a Gucci shopaholic
                                thank you for reminding me to re-read this, what an amazing article.

i also bought my first at-retail rick jacket from Shelley. she's got the knack.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎