X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussy
    • Jul 2011

some infographics - brand name dropping in hip hop

A surprisingly restrained graphical rendering, I view it as a guidepost of the current norm before things potentially change

Based on their methodology, I doubt that they included Rick, Raf, MMM etc. in the search. Though, I expect the results would be comparatively marginal.

I'm interested in seeing the results of successive, more extensive searches and if they will:
    1. Diversify - stylists and artists seeking something seemingly more individual grow interested in countless small, 'artisanal' designers
    2. Interchange - swap gucci for rick owens or what have you, change in the norm of celebrity male dress from lux menswear to lux streetwear
    3. Stay the same - wealth etc. continues to be represented by historically lux brands

Comment

• Tafkap
      • Oct 2006

Some of these comments. Smh. And this line "Like it or not, today’s Iggy Pop and David Bowie are Kanye West and A$AP Rocky".... Hip-Hop, or Rap, ISN'T what rock was back then. Not even close. Kanye West and A$AP Rocky are not rebels, nor or they doing anything groundbreaking, or rock and roll. These two are both robotic, manufactured pop outfits. There are PLENTY of rock and roll bands and musicians that are 1000x more "rock" than these two pop musicians. The thing is, we live in a different time now, where media is being controlled by $$. What does this mean? It means that the music that THEY want to shove down your throats, they will, like Rocky and Kanye. For anyone who believes that they are rebellious or groundbreaking or whatever term you want to use, you are simply being fooled. The real stuff...the real rock and roll....THEY don't want you to hear that, but it is certainly there, alive and well. They want you to believe that articles like this are true, but it's simply ridiculous. Sorry. Anyone comparing Iggy Pop to A$AP Rocky or Kanye in ANY way needs to have their head checked. I'm sorry, but for crying out loud people.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

^ you've got to name the names of the "real" rock n' roll bands to make this case with any conviction. who are they? what is an example of a rock band that "THEY" don't want us to hear in 2014? anal cunt doesn't count since seth putnam has passed.

also i would argue that iggy pop wasn't as good a musician as he was a personality so in many ways he and kanye are comparable. the artist in your avatar is/was more talented musically than both of them. iggy is awesome because he never quit.
        Last edited by AKA*NYC; 10-06-2014, 08:38 PM.
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• its always cloudy
          • Jan 2014

You know Kanye called out the President during Hurricane Katrina right? I have to respectfully disagree. That was probably one of the most punk rock things to have happened in the last decade.

Comment

• BodyDouble
            • Jan 2014

Also pretty funny considering Iggy Pop was David Bowie's manufactured pop music project. Literally plucked him out of the Stooges, moved to berlin with him and produced and wrote Pop's great solo albums The Idiot and Lust for Life, with the intention of Iggy becoming the last great rock and roll pop star with help from Eno and Visconti.

That said, anyone that hits mainstream and continues with it is at some point a Pop Star. Trent Reznor just gave an interview about how he doesn't intentionally write catchy pop songs, but guess what? He's a pop star wether he likes it or not and that's not his fault, it's the publics. Kanye knows he's a pop star now, why else do you think he married a Kardashian? Being a 'sell out' in this day and age is the most bullshit thing ever. If you're on Facebook or instagram or whatever, I guess you're a sell out because you're indirectly feeding 'the machine'. There is no underground and there hasn't been in a long time. We live in an age where youtuber's are celebrities. These real rock and roll bands? I'm sure they want to get paid and as soon as they do and we all know their names, they'll be "pop stars" as well and that's not selling out. In fact, I'm willing to bet they already have over 100,000 views on youtube.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post
              Kanye West and A$AP Rocky are not rebels, nor or they doing anything groundbreaking, or rock and roll. These two are both robotic, manufactured pop outfits.
              As much of a toolbag as Kanye is, calling him a manufactured pop outfit shows nothing but your lack of knowledge about his career.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post
                Blah, blah, I suck at reading comprehension and totally missed the point of the article, which is about style, not music, so I decided on some preconceived narrative that would fit my rant.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

re: "What is even more interesting is not that rappers have become style icons, but that they have successfully incorporated and reinterpreted the rock aesthetic, not exactly favored by a typical luxury consumer."

On the level of music, the mediator that allows rock to transform into rap is stuff like raime, which mark fisher notes is just as much about stuff like ben frost, sunn o))), and swans as it is about the club:

once you're into club music, its not that hard to get into rap (given the collaborations between rappers and experimental producers).

edit: this new evian christ remix of ben frost's venter is another excellent example of a track that could get fans of rock interested in rap:
                  Taken from the new Ben Frost EP - 'V A R I A N T' - out on vinyl and download on 8 December 2014 through Mute / Bedroom Community. The limited edition EP features remixes of tracks taken from the lat
                  Last edited by trentk; 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM.
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• deltapie
                    • Feb 2014

"Hood by Air man I started that."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1952102/asap...l-hood-by-air/

Seriously though, a Kanye West, Hedi Slimane beef? when did that happen? sounds more like lamb than beef...
                    "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎