X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

nervermind.
    Last edited by Fuuma; 10-01-2014, 10:36 AM. Reason: ...
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Mail-Moth
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
      I guess that's where Style Zeitgeist comes in.
      I guess nobody here would ever label SZ's aesthetics as 'good taste' because of those connotations that make you cringe, but I doubt it means the place is open to anything. There are lots of sartorial rules at work here, your ability to respect them all also being an indicator of your wealth, since it implies you can afford all that is necessary to make a fit work the right way, among other things (like being able to visit the shops, try the stuff, attend the fashion week...)

Being spot on in your SZ gear is in fact probably as difficult as it is to dress according to good taste.
      I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
      I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
        I guess nobody here would ever label SZ's aesthetics as 'good taste' because of those connotations that make you cringe, but I doubt it means the place is open to anything. There are lots of sartorial rules at work here, your ability to respect them all also being an indicator of your wealth, since it implies you can afford all that is necessary to make a fit work the right way, among other things (like being able to visit the shops, try the stuff, attend the fashion week...)

Being spot on in your SZ gear is in fact probably as difficult as it is to dress according to good taste.
        It is definitely codified, this uniformity of look demands quite an important wardrobe and almost everything in it needs to follow the template, with some leeway being given for in the know transgressions (as opposed to those made due to ignorance). You'll also note that the acceptable looks do vary (we're in a less drapey era than say in 2008).
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• BodyDouble
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
          ^ actually I don't think that someone who produces music but doesn't sing/rap to their audience can be made in to an icon in the same way Kanye or Bowie can.

There's just a lot less to relate to for the average person. Maybe time will tell, though.

Born Adam Richard Wiles, the former grocery store stocker earned $66 million in our scoring period, playing more than 125 gigs. He’s found great success in the pop world, working with the likes of Rihanna and Kesha, which has helped him land headline gigs not only at EDM-focused events but also at festivals like Coachella. Harris continues to play regularly in Las Vegas where he has a multi-year deal at America's biggest nightclub, Hakkasan.

I think this is even more than Kanye West made, maybe even in the last 2 or 3 years. I would argue that Producers/DJ's have even more to relate to an audience than a singer would simply because there are less opinions and messages being communicated. Last time I saw Kanye perform, most people just walked out during his rant. No one want's to sit through that for 40 minutes.

I went to see NIN and Cold Cave at the bowl, Cold Cave practically played to maybe a couple hundred people who were barely even paying attention. Most just dismissed them as a Cure cover band. NIN and Soundgarden hardly played a sell out show, And I don't even remember seeing anyone younger than maybe 25 at the show. Avicci on the other hand sold out the bowl and even had Paul McCartney and others come out to perform with him while he DJ'ed. I'm not saying it's right, but this is where it's all headed. And then it will die out and something new will emerge or retro and people will be all over that.

At the end of the day, Performers, Actors, Rappers, Dj's, Musicians, Writers, Directors, Bloggers, Instagrammers, Entrepreneurs, Any individual who is either noticed or wants to be noticed or interested in their self presentation will be interested in fashion and I don't think this has ever changed. From Kurt Cobain wearing JPG to create his image of a poor thrifty shopper to Wim Wenders faithfully wearing Yohji because he feels a connection to the clothes. Some will choose to really explore the depths of it and others will just let someone, whether it be a stylist or the internet, do it for them.

Going back to the main article, which is a great read btw, It's nice to see that artists like Asap and Usher are actually investing their time and energy into what they're wearing and not merely copying what others are telling them to wear. You can tell when an artist, especially a rapper, is wearing something because he appreciates the aesthetic or identifies with it vs someone who is merely using it as a status symbol. There's are so many urban / street fashion shops now, shops that have been around before Asap name dropped Raf and Rick that have always carried poorly designed clothing and all of a sudden they carry high fashion parody t-shirts next to revered high fashion designer books and items for display. As if somehow there is no line between the two.
          Last edited by BodyDouble; 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

^ a truly incisive post, thank you. i hope this stands without being trolled or nitpicked.

am i the only one who appreciates kanye's rants?

i got to witness this gem in the flesh:

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• BlacknWhite
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
              ^ a truly incisive post, thank you. i hope this stands without being trolled or nitpicked.

am i the only one who appreciates kanye's rants?

i got to witness this gem in the flesh:

I enjoy his his rants. He's not the best public speaker, not eloquent in speech at all, but I like that he speaks his mind.

How much did you pay for tickets? I heard this was very expensive.

Comment

• BodyDouble
                • Jan 2014

Thanks AKA. I actually don't mind Kanye's rants personally. They're entertaining.
                I respect what he's doing even if I don't agree with all of it, but the guy has shown passion and has paid his dues. He fails constantly in public and takes shit left and right, and still keeps doing his thing. Even though i've heard horror stories about what his camp does to producers and artists (Stealing beats, Not including them in royalty statements, etc.) He has done more for up and comers in all different genres than many others. The guy catapulted underground guys like Brodinksi, Gesaffelstein, Arca, Hudson Mohawke & Lunice / Tnght and threw them into the mainstream. Arca just signed a major label deal with Mute.

Within the fashion industry he's at least invested a deep interest in learning and apprenticing, when he really didn't have to. He could have just hired someone to do it for him. He's helped launched brands (Again, Nothing I would personally wear, but it shows the power of his influence) and done what revered artists like Trent Reznor have complained about musicians not doing - created his own identity and image / universe. Again, many may not agree with what he does, but him collaborating with the Margiela camp to outfit his entire wardrobe for his tour is on some Madonna shit and no one else, at least in hip hop, is doing that yet, Not even ASAP.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

i'm with you on everything. and before the margiela collab there was the riccardo tisci art direction / wardrobe for watch the throne.

now can we appropriate this thread for discussion about multiply?

Comment

• Icarium
                    • Oct 2010

Pretty solid rant video :) I reciprocate you with this katt williams oakland meltdown I was at. They even gave us refunds for the show... was gold though and nuts.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

wow good one. i watched all the way through to the too $hort apology with richie rich*. incidentally this video begins pretty much the same way the too $hort show i saw in oakland back in 1990 ended.

*415 is a must-listen for golden age rap fans...the name antedates the 510 area code.

Comment

• Icarium
                        • Oct 2010

Haha ya it was amazing having those guys coming out and doing a few songs while trying to stall for him.

Blaming that shit on weed is nuts haha. I didn't watch that video entirely so I dunno if it captured the moment when he clocked a staffer in the head with the mic knocking him down... But weed doesn't do that.

Comment

• BodyDouble
                          • Jan 2014

Haha, I'm surprised he left the Been Trill and HBA slam on there. I remember seeing that at Coachella. I guess i've been asleep too long but did HBA and Been Trill step on his toes? Video is rad though. Funny that he's still wearing Palace. I just saw Jay Z in some photos wearing Palace now as well.

Comment

• Null12
                            • Oct 2013

I wonder how it will affect sales.

Comment

• Picasso
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BodyDouble View Post
                              Haha, I'm surprised he left the Been Trill and HBA slam on there. I remember seeing that at Coachella. I guess i've been asleep too long but did HBA and Been Trill step on his toes? Video is rad though. Funny that he's still wearing Palace. I just saw Jay Z in some photos wearing Palace now as well.
                              He's been spending a lot of time in Paris n what not. But about time someone deaded those brands. Just vultures seeking to profit from blck culture

Comment

• KodakII
                                • Sep 2008

^lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡