Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone recommend me black dye for Japanese denim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianK
    • Jan 2013

Can someone recommend me black dye for Japanese denim?

Can somebody recommend a solid black dye for Japanese denim or denim in general that is reliable and will stay? Im trying to dye a light black japanese denim into complete pitch black color
    Last edited by BrianK; 11-02-2014, 07:57 PM.
  • mgala
    • Sep 2014

Looking for an answer myself too so i don't have much of a recommendation but you should be careful if you choose dylon machine dye. I've tried it a few times and everything seems to get more of a really dark petrol (blueish) colour that will fade a bit with every wash. And you will have to be super thorough when cleaning the machine afterwards as the dye can hide in the rubber gasket

Comment

• zen dog
      • Jan 2014

^ Glad I didn't use my machine, mgala. First, I assume you both read the cotton dying discussion.

I went here: http://www.dharmatrading.com/ to purchase my supplies- Better Black and yes, it did give a bluish tinge to the white inside pockets but the cotton grey striped pants came out a great, neutral black.

Dharma has thorough instructions and and responded well to a question through email (lotta salt, double the dye). I didn't want any shrinkage and so the necessity of cold water will limit the effectiveness of the dye.

I used a tub because I didn't like the agitation and water level of my washing machine. Also, my water has a high mineral content, so I could control the quality of my water in a tub, and the stirring- I kept my pants in for 8 hours and stirred frequently. (This is messy- even with care a fair amount of splashing was going on.)

Definitely soda ash and salt, I used urea also. I did put the pants in the washer to get rid of extra dye and will pick them today from the dry cleaner to make sure there is no dye to transfer on anything the pants come in contact with. I ran bleach through the washer after rinsing the pants.

Thats it- I'll post again if I'm not happy about something after wearing the pants for awhile.

Comment

• mgala
        • Sep 2014

Just wanted to share the surprise i got today. Washed for the first time a pair of trousers i made, originally grey cotton fabric that i dyed "black" with dylon (it turned out dark blueish grey). I used plenty of salt fyi.

Now they are quite a bit lighter, and has randomly placed, even lighter stripes

Looks worse in real life to be honest. http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...0CC465F82F.jpg

Enough complaints about dylon, i hope the Dharma dye keeps looking good!

Comment

• francojean23
          • Sep 2008

Why oh why would you try to dye Japanese denim that has likely gone through a very long, considered and careful dyeing process..?

Just buy different pants.

Comment

• BrianK
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by francojean23 View Post
            Why oh why would you try to dye Japanese denim that has likely gone through a very long, considered and careful dyeing process..?

Just buy different pants.
            Thats true but this pair of denim has the perfect fit that would look great in pitch black for me to wear couple times a week

Comment

• Bleu1950
              • Jan 2013

I'd recommend "dylon". I would also use 2 or 3 times recommended dosage to get the pants to pitch black

Comment

• BrianK
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Bleu1950 View Post
                I'd recommend "dylon". I would also use 2 or 3 times recommended dosage to get the pants to pitch black
                Thanks! already ordered 2 packages of dylon so hopefully it turns full black

Comment

• Bleu1950
                  • Jan 2013

good luck... make sure the water is really really hot (not warm).. or else it will turn blue/ navy..use lots of salt too

t

Comment

• lupus
                    • Nov 2013

Jacquard also works very well. Their cold dye, procion, is great too. For a deep black you will have to use around 10 packets of dylon or rit. Both are terrible and don't last long at all. I work for a dye house that uses both the aforementioned brands as well as trichromatic. Use plenty of salt and but if you use too much soda ash a slimy-ness sometimes lingers. It's also quite toxic. I've only used urea with indigo but as it lengthens the dry time I imagine it helps to get a deeper color.

Comment

• lupus
                      • Nov 2013

Jacquard also works very well. Their cold dye, procion, is great too. For a deep black you will have to use around 10 packets of dylon or rit. Both are terrible and don't last long at all. I work for a dye house that uses both the aforementioned brands as well as trichromatic. Use plenty of salt and but if you use too much soda ash a slimy-ness sometimes lingers. It's also quite toxic. I've only used urea with indigo but as it lengthens the dry time I imagine it helps to get a deeper color.

Comment

• shrinkwatson
                        • Jun 2015

you can use Rit & Dylon Wash ac it will work also well.

Comment

• devour
                          • Dec 2014

Also used Dylon for my pants, used two packets and followed instructions but it didn't come out deep black, more like very dark indigo. Honestly a little disappointed but oh well it was my first time trying.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎