• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleJesuss
    • May 2014

Washington DC Shopping

Hello guys,

I know this is a stretch but are there any worthwhile stores to visit in DC? I will be staying here for some time so it would be great if i could see some stuff without going to NYC. Also food, barber shop, cobbler and museum/exposition suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I know there is a Barneys but from what I've seen the store is pretty small so my expectations aren't very high.

Thanks!
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

nope, no shopping (or cobblers for that matter) of note in DC. Barneys has absolutely nothing of interest although Georgetown itself is worth visiting if you're in the area.

sightseeing/museums wise the usual suspects are worth checking out if you've never been before. the Spy Museum is cheesy but kinda fun if you like James Bond movies and cold war relics. the zoo is good (and free) and nearby Rock Creek Park is nice for an easy hike. yeah DC is kinda dead..

food wise DC is a lot more miss than hit but the following are good:
    Little Serow - go on a weeknight and the line should be manageable, best meal you'll have in DC if you can handle the heat
    Kapnos - excellent Greek inspired small plates, the spit roasted meats are very tasty
    Le Diplomate - solid French food, brunch is good
    Toki Underground - best ramen I've had in the states (and I've tried pretty much everywhere in NYC), starters and sides are awesome too
    Union Market - very hipstery but the small stands all offer quality grub, TaKorean is a favourite

skip Rose's Luxury, hype.

Comment

• codyumbel
      • Oct 2014

Agreed. Dc shopping is complete shit. The barneys is gtown is a Co-op and has a horrible selection.

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
        • May 2014

Thanks guys and thanks dji for the lengthy culinary recommendations. I will be travelling to NYC to visit the usuals then.

Comment

• PandorasFate
          • Apr 2014

It sucks up here. The best shopping I've found is in Tyson's Corner if you're looking for luxury stuff. I racked up on a very decent selection of Lang and Theyskins at Nordstrom Rack on Leesburg Pike. If you go to Bethesda, try Mustard Seed. Its consignment, but I got my bangin Dries blazer there. You might as well forget finding Rick here, and if you do, you hit me up ASAP. I got bum rushed walking down U street in my RO sneaks by "one of us" wanting to know where I got them. Also, maybe run through Mutiny, you might like that:http://shop.mutinydc.com/collections/frontpage
          “Budget the luxuries first.”
          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• dji
            • Feb 2008

shopping is slightly better for the ladies but yes it still sucks.

RE: the RO effect I've had this happen in Chicago and Miami before too (both of which have stockists), just uncommon for people to see them in the wild outside of cities like NYC I guess.

Comment

• Sombre
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by PandorasFate View Post
              It sucks up here. The best shopping I've found is in Tyson's Corner if you're looking for luxury stuff. I racked up on a very decent selection of Lang and Theyskins at Nordstrom Rack on Leesburg Pike. If you go to Bethesda, try Mustard Seed. Its consignment, but I got my bangin Dries blazer there. You might as well forget finding Rick here, and if you do, you hit me up ASAP. I got bum rushed walking down U street in my RO sneaks by "one of us" wanting to know where I got them. Also, maybe run through Mutiny, you might like that:http://shop.mutinydc.com/collections/frontpage
              You seem to be taking the harassment you wrote about in the "Strangers Reactions" thread really well (at least I assume it was a reference to that post).
              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Ntropy
                • Dec 2012

All the barneys stores in DC closed.

Comment

• dji
                  • Feb 2008

Nordstrom in Tyson's has a small (and dire) selection of Rick for women now.

Comment

• trentk
                    • Oct 2010

General recommendations for dc anyone? I lucked out and am here when the National Symphony Orchestra is playing Mahler's 9th. Also checking out the Bernardi Roig exhibition at the Phillips Collection. Have already done the usual touristy things on previous trips.
                    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• dji
                      • Feb 2008

Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery is surprisingly good if you haven't already been, takes at least half a day to see everything.

go hiking around the Potomac if you like that sort of thing, I hike/bike frequently around here as there isn't really anything better to do..

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                        • May 2014

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler?

Comment

• Quiet
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2014

send your shoes to the firm in nyc. i have had a few botched jobs while in dc and i dont think sending my 3k boots to someone "good" is really worth it mate

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                            • May 2014

thanks i'll do that

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

DC's shopping scene is progressing, Barneys in Georgetown now stocks Fear of God and Hood by Air.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎