• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Style.com 25 most influential people in menswear

Part WTF, part true

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Icarium
    • Oct 2010

Haha I see that Gosha made the list.

Comment

• NOHSAD
      • Nov 2014

The list was a hit and miss for me. Our Legacy, owners/buyers of Tres Bien , and even Adidas (to an extent) made reasonable sense. Seeing names such as Nike and Four-Pins Fashion's Bros hosts on the list made me ask myself "Why? "

On a side note, While it wasn't surprising for me to see RO's name on the list, I think menswear as a whole, Rick's only influential within the Street Goth trend and not so much as his entire design language. Correct me if you think otherwise.
      "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
        Haha I see that Gosha made the list.
        Strongly in the WTF camp.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
          The list was a hit and miss for me. Our Legacy, owners/buyers of Tres Bien , and even Adidas (to an extent) made reasonable sense. Seeing names such as Nike and Four-Pins Fashion's Bros hosts on the list made me ask myself "Why? "

On a side note, While it wasn't surprising for me to see RO's name on the list, I think menswear as a whole, Rick's only influential within the Street Goth trend and not so much as his entire design language. Correct me if you think otherwise.
          Have you been to All Saints, Zara, or H&M lately? Or simply sat on the corner of Broadway and Prince St and watched people passing by?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• NOHSAD
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Have you been to All Saints, Zara, or H&M lately? Or simply sat on the corner of Broadway and Prince St and watched people passing by?
            Okay Faust, point taken. Especially with Zara considering once their dark collection was released, I've a bunch of men in Soho and 34th Herald wearing the stuff X-x.
            "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• Jtothewhat
              • Oct 2014

Rick's influence is abundantly evident in some cities, the amount of Rick (mostly sneakers) and more affordable/less appealing imitations I see on everyday people in Seoul is astounding, then again young/trendy Korean's have always had an affinity for black.

The list is quite odd...I expected their to be worse picks to be honest, some of them just didn't make sense. Visvim for example is a brand a lot of people on forums talk about but I feel like outside of Japan the amount of people buying anything they make besides those funny shoes is quite low. Gosha is an odd choice as well.. but that is why I usually stray from ''articles'' that require me to click through a slide show.
              Last edited by Jtothewhat; 01-07-2015, 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

I hunk its fair to say Rick has been the most influential designer in both mens and Womenswear for the last 5-7 years…..
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

Now that's interesting! In NYC despite having a Rick boutique and several stores carrying the line, I still rarely see anyone around wearing it. And when I do, I assume it's probably someone who's also on here .

Originally posted by Jtothewhat View Post
                  Rick's influence is abundantly evident in some cities, the amount of Rick (mostly sneakers) and more affordable/less appealing imitations I see on everyday people in Seoul is astounding, then again young/trendy Korean's have always had an affinity for black.
                  music

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

Visvim for example is a brand a lot of people on forums talk about but I feel like outside of Japan the amount of people buying anything they make besides those funny shoes is quite low.
                    visvim strikes me as one of the most influential and imitated brands at the moment. while it may be coincidental there appears to be a huge visvim influence on the slp 2015 collection.
                    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Senpai
                      • Apr 2014

I also have to say I've seen countless Visvim in both Los Angeles and Utah. There's a stockist in Park City and supposedly Hiroki buys a lot of his turquoise in Utah so that's probably the reason for that. I think its pretty fitting, more so than gosha and a number of others on the list at least.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                        I hunk its fair to say Rick has been the most influential designer in both mens and Womenswear for the last 5-7 years…..
                        Originally posted by casem View Post
                        Now that's interesting! In NYC despite having a Rick boutique and several stores carrying the line, I still rarely see anyone around wearing it. And when I do, I assume it's probably someone who's also on here .
                        Probably it's me considering menswear as multiple multiple genres (SZ, street wear, technical, athletic, etc) and not following RO as much, but most of RO's influence I've personally seen going back lately (1.5-2 years) is mostly with Street Goth (Zara's Dark Collection and Korean fashion as Faust and Jtothewhat mentioned respectively). Being in NYC as well, I also don't see a lot of people wearing RO garments even though there's a flagship store let alone retailers that carries the his stuff. Even when I do, it's mostly teens and guys in their early to mid twenties wearing Geobaskets pairing it up with street wear.

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• NOHSAD
                          • Nov 2014

The list is quite odd...I expected their to be worse picks to be honest, some of them just didn't make sense. Visvim for example is a brand a lot of people on forums talk about but I feel like outside of Japan the amount of people buying anything they make besides those funny shoes is quite low. Gosha is an odd choice as well.. but that is why I usually stray from ''articles'' that require me to click through a slide show.
                          Most people that I've talked to who knows about Visvim only cares about the sneakers, especially the FTB variations. When it comes to the garments, they find the price to be ridiculous and something they have a hard time understanding despite the materials that goes into most of the pieces or just too expensive.

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• snafu
                            • Apr 2008

I could agree with most of the list, but i feel they ran out of names and just threw them in there... to fill it up to 25.

I wouldn't have expected Hermes/Veronique Nichanian to be in there, as i don't feel hermes influences at all: its so classic and impossible to replicate due to quality and construction.
                            I'm surprised to not see Wang as the list itself is very american.
                            Charlie & Joe Casley Hayford seem to be there to fill it up, i feel they are not really known outside London.
                            I would have thought also Riccardo Tisci might have been there.
                            Gosha i can kinda understand because i see alot of hi end skateware emerging in fashion, many people in london seem to be dressing in that way... maybe Supreme may be more appropriate?
                            I totally agree with Benjamin Burno/JW Anderson.
                            I guess you can't put celebrities in there because they are not 'in menswear', but no doubt what stars wear have a drastic effect.
                            Visvim is highly influential in the design circles, so agree 100%.
                            Some of the sartorial names didn't make sense to me but Pilati did.
                            Nike is a big yes for me, walk around anywhere in europe and everyone wears some form of free run or flyknits mix with a non sportswear style.

Comment

• Jtothewhat
                              • Oct 2014

It appears I stand corrected in regards to Visvim, I guess that their ''aesthetic'' is quite trendy in design circles at the moment, I was more so just focused on the brands individual commercial success where I seldom see it in anyway but those sneaker/moccasin shoes, but I suppose that is because I don't pay much attention to the brand and maybe live in the wrong place(s) to see its influence in person, though when looking at many labels SS15 collections it is pretty apparent (SLP like AKA*NYC pointed out). It is funny seeing a brand like Visvim who put a very Japanese spin on "Americana" aesthetics (see Visvim SS15) and then get ripped off by some American label doing an...American version of a Japanese take on Americana..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎