• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion Week Rambling, F/W 2015

Sharing some thoughts on this past men's fashion week.

Let me get something out of the way – though my writing is critical more often than not, I don’t particularly enjoy blasting fashion. So, it is with a certain elation I would like to report that this past men’s fashion week in Paris was one of the strongest I’ve seen in a while.

For me it began last Wednesday night when Haider Ackermann presented his most convincing collection yet. Everything seemed to coalesce – from the muted but rich color palette to lush fabrics to nonchalant styling. It was presented at the Galleria museum, and the presentation and the clothes were just the right shade of decadence, a fantasy world of the rich and idle whose saving grace is impeccable education and impeccable manners.

My dandyism is of a different sort, but I don’t mind watching from the sidelines, and Oscar Wilde is not only a favorite writer, but also a favorite personage. Love it or hate it, Ackermann has a vision, and that a talented designer makes.
    And something else – when we walked into that luxurious, red-carpeted hall, the models were standing in half-light. To the dismay of the audience, they could not snap pictures for their Instagrams. Their narcissism unsatisfied, the editors grumbled. But I thought this was clever.

The problem with Instagram is not that it allows you to share information, but that it’s an enabler for unbounded narcissism. The only Instagram filter that really matters is the “me” filter. It is not so much what you document but that it’s you who documents it.

If you have ever taken pictures at a fashion show, as I have for this magazine, you know that you are not actually SEEING the clothes, as your attention is focused on taking the shot. Ackermann forced you to look at the clothes. The show was his, not yours.... (continue below)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • ian+
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    this past men’s fashion week in Paris was one of the strongest I’ve seen in a while.
    My thoughts exactly. Most of the collections were interesting, a good percentage of them being excellent. Even more mainstream brands like Dior Homme presented well thought and better collections than the previous seasons.

I would love some more words on the showrooms (BBS, Julius etc.). Thoughts, feelings? Is the Rick Owens effect still there? (mediocre runaway, great pieces in the showroom? ).
    Last edited by ian+; 01-29-2015, 07:49 AM.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Great rundown of the season, I felt the same way about what I saw.

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
      Is the Rick Owens effect still there? (mediocre runaway, great pieces in the showroom? ).
      well, yes and no. To explain the structure a bit, the actual collection is bigger than what you see on the runway, but this season there was even less classics (shorts, pants, leather jackets, t-shirts) in the main collection and more of them in the pre-collection and of course drkshdw which is seperate. So it seems to have been divided even more this way. Quality this time, at least to me, seemed to vary a bit. Some of the collection items appeared very well made, some of the pre-collection and footwear was flimsy. All in all, I felt like the main collection was a bit stronger in the showroom than on the runway, whereas the pre collection was a bit of a let down. Design-wise, there is very little new things in it.

edit: making this another Rick thread, fuck.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• applecrisp
        • Jun 2013

I didn't know what the appropriate thread to post in was... (I've been accused of adding comments to enable the sale of my closet, though I own absolutely nothing of value to sell so I didn't want to post something without merit.)

Does anyone have photos or a link to look at the Geoffrey B Small presentation? That's one presentation I'd love to see. I know he'll post his own photos eventually, Faust or Lowrey, were either of you at his show? Any photos you're allowed to share?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
          My thoughts exactly. Most of the collections were interesting, a good percentage of them being excellent. Even more mainstream brands like Dior Homme presented well thought and better collections than the previous seasons.

I would love some more words on the showrooms (BBS, Julius etc.). Thoughts, feelings? Is the Rick Owens effect still there? (mediocre runaway, great pieces in the showroom? ).
          Like the last time, Julius, broken down, had some very good pieces. On the runway, as someone else noted, it's become a bit too inhuman for my taste. But that's the brand direction, no complaints, really.

One thing the season made me wish again for was leather pants - they were great from Haider, Ann, and there was an amazing pair at Julius. But, who am I kidding - I'm never gonna wear leather pants .

Applecrisp, lowrey went to Geoffrey's show on our behalf. Unfortunately, I could not make it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ian+
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Like the last time, Julius, broken down, had some very good pieces. On the runway, as someone else noted, it's become a bit too inhuman for my taste. But that's the brand direction, no complaints, really.

One thing the season made me wish again for was leather pants - they were great from Haider, Ann, and there was an amazing pair at Julius. But, who am I kidding - I'm never gonna wear leather pants .

Applecrisp, lowrey went to Geoffrey's show on our behalf. Unfortunately, I could not make it.
            I recall you wanted leather pants from the first Alexandre Plokhov FW, come on no need for excuses, buy one finally

Thanks both for the info.
            ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• ryanhast
              • Sep 2013

Thanks for the ramblings. Was fun to read. For someone like me who will never get to see a fashion show it's great to read about them from someone in the thick of it.

Comment

• Quiet
                Banned
                • Nov 2014

nyfw to come thoughts: mercedes benz last nyfw before bowing out as sponsor from the official shows. they bought competing made fw which is said to showcase younger designers. that combined with lincoln center pulling out as locale of most of the shows due to "Degradation of the park" and some shows rumoured to either being moving downtown (chelsea piers?) or into brooklyn by next fashion. this will be the last "enjoyable" nyfw in my opinion. who in their right mind wants to trek through brooklyn for fashion week?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
                  nyfw to come thoughts: mercedes benz last nyfw before bowing out as sponsor from the official shows. they bought competing made fw which is said to showcase younger designers. that combined with lincoln center pulling out as locale of most of the shows due to "Degradation of the park" and some shows rumoured to either being moving downtown (chelsea piers?) or into brooklyn by next fashion. this will be the last "enjoyable" nyfw in my opinion. who in their right mind wants to trek through brooklyn for fashion week?
                  welcome to sz william s burroughs
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎