• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion's Love Affair With Streetwear

Oh, they want to be fashnz designers now! How cute.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • 550BC
    • Jan 2013

Pigalle I can respect, because they started in the the Pigalle neighborhood in Paris and are still located there, they organize cultural events for the youth and connect the youth in Paris with basketball and music. So when it comes to streetwear I respect Pigalle. Shayne Oliver and Nasir Mazhar need to get the fuck outta here. I remember the day Karl Kani was the symbol of street culture fashion. Those days were real for me. I didn't read the entire article so I might be off topic..
    Last edited by 550BC; 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM. Reason: bla bla
    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• NOHSAD
      • Nov 2014

Thanks for posting this Faust, found it funny when I read Public School as a streetwear brand . In my opinion, this has been a massive trend for 2, maybe 3 years now that's starting to be stable within the fashion industry for the long run, with individuals like Oliver becoming highly successful from it (Pyrex, HBA early stages as streetwear). Hell, even the "street goth" brands like ADYN, Represent are just streetwear brands that takes certain aspects from certain styles but still's consider luxury/high street by a few .

However, I do agree with the statement towards the end of the article "I also see some of the fashion conglomerates and companies placing serious investments in luxury sportswear as they do in young designers, because the foundation is becoming more secure in the retail space for this genre and the customers are already there.". This genre is a medium for a lot of people with, give or take, the price point to match depending on what you want; "fashion" pieces that still maintains the aesthetic and attitude streetwear brings.
      Last edited by NOHSAD; 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM.
      "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• NOHSAD
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
        Pigalle I can respect, because they started in the the Pigalle neighborhood in Paris and are still located there, they organize cultural events for the youth and connect the youth in Paris with basketball and music. So when it comes to streetwear I respect Pigalle. Shayne Oliver and Nasir Mazhar need to get the fuck outta here. I remember the day Karl Kani was the symbol of street culture fashion. Those days were real for me. I didn't read the entire article so I might be off topic..
        Shayne Oliver is someone who saw a niche, took it and ran with it. I truly believe that HBA and Off White is streetwear that's glamored and glorified. For it to be a fashion brand is laughable to me especially how Off White and HBA's design language is and after the shit he's done with Pyrex .
        Last edited by NOHSAD; 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM.
        "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Agreed. I can give HBA a pass, cause Oliver is actually trying to go beyond printed tees, but Burlon and Off White, bleh. Making your tees and jeans expensive doesn't make them fashion.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

I'm not sure I get what the author is trying to demonstrate here, considering we see real streetwear brands like Pigalle, typical fashion brands who have a strong streetwear inspiration like Nasir Mazhar and the new crop of street-goth Rick Owens via streetstyle pictures and rapper styling like Off-white being grouped together as if they had more than superficial commonalities. I see the author is trying to say these designers are fashion brands and the term "luxury sportswear" is bandied about but I fail to see who grouped them together in the first place and why this needs to be addressed .

Undercover has streetwear origins (Harajuku scene) and we could look for example of brands that were first considered streetwear but moved on to being considered "fashion" brands. I don't see how this article helps us do that.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Another one of these articles:

With their choice of adjectives, fashion insiders pushed the distinctive look to the side. It was the purview of black kids, Latino teens and other young folks who commuted through their world. Though the aesthetic had been born on America’s vibrant streets and among its aspiring youth, it was not deemed “Americana.” That term was reserved for field jackets and buffalo plaid shirts.

Times have changed. The country is more diverse. Cities are ascendant. Washington, above them all, is a magnet for a new generation seeking density, walkability, vibrancy. And in response, designers are redefining the rules of dress so that the old ways and old terms no longer apply. Or at least their meaning has drastically changed. “Street” and “urban” “were bad words to use,” says designer Maxwell Osborne. Today, however, “street” simply means “it’s made for a big city.”

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Blackman
                • Feb 2011

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Oh, dear...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

^ haha. i think in spirit there's an analogy; in execution not so much.
                    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Blackman
                      • Feb 2011

they are kindred spirits for androgyny

Comment

• Enzo
                        • Apr 2015

i have a huge respect for pigalle as he is not claiming himself as a "luxury" brand - dont get why they call it like that. he admits his love for basketball, and goes with it. in the store you can find a lot of "mens-wear" items such as hats, suits etc. which have a stron pigalle/parisian style. i like them.

for hba its true that he is going further than just printed tees, but imo he is trying too hard. in the beginning i found it fresh and cool that brands like adyn are mixing styles but when like the huge wave came, i could not even differenciate btw all these - strangley mostly london based - streetwear brands. they all really did the same thing. but exactly the same. did not even put effort in finding their own style.

i think in the end it is a fight like anywhere else. music, art etc. in music people born in the 80/90s say that justin and all these disneyclub members fucked up music/hip hop. freshmen people love them. there will always be a fight like this. same goes for books, etc. bla. its culture, evolving and clashing.

i somehow feel like my father back in the days, when he was complaining about my new rap music bumping out of his car speakers...
                        almost anti-everything

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎