X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ES3K
    • Oct 2008

Viktor & Rolf dropping pret-a-porter

After Jean Paul Gaultier another label is getting out of the pret-a-porter business (the news is only about the women's line, but I can't imagine that the men's collection is flying off the shelves either) and focussing on haute couture.

• mrbeuys
    • May 2008

And what's left of it is there just to support the perfume business...
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Yep, but it was always that way. V&R ain't no Gaultier. They never sold clothes - they did some very creative things to make the brand and then perfumed the shit out of it. Smart. Gareth Pugh could take the same route if he cared. Question is, what are they going to do with their stores? Turn them into perfume emporiums?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ES3K
        • Oct 2008

There's only one, but not for long:

the one and only Viktor & Rolf flagship store in the world, inaugurated at the end of 2013 in Paris at 370 Rue Saint-Honoré, will be closed in January 2016.

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Yep, but it was always that way. V&R ain't no Gaultier. They never sold clothes - they did some very creative things to make the brand and then perfumed the shit out of it. Smart. Gareth Pugh could take the same route if he cared. Question is, what are they going to do with their stores? Turn them into perfume emporiums?
          Good point. Gareth Pugh as a brand is currently experiencing massive financial difficulties.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I'm not surprised if it's true. Gareth is a classic case of too much, too soon.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

I'm not surprised if it's true. Gareth is a classic case of too much, too soon.
              Last I heard from first hand testimony, he had up to 16 interns working (re: slaving) for him at any given time, as he couldn't afford to hire full time staff. Non of the interns were compensated financially, nor were they even given a basic per diem allowance per day.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Although Gareth was way more into art/production, it reminded me of that young (Canadian?) designer that blew up for a little while... I can't remember his name but he took a photo of himself facing the camera dressed like Karl and had a decently distinct silhouette with his designs including some wedge type footwear...
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

u mean rad hourani?

i'd be super sad if gareth pugh closed up shop. not that i ever buy his stuff though, but i wish more women did. it's pretty badass...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                    u mean rad hourani?

i'd be super sad if gareth pugh closed up shop. not that i ever buy his stuff though, but i wish more women did. it's pretty badass...
                    ah yes! Rad is the guy. Oh wow, he's still producing stuff. Does anyone actually carry him though? $300 graphic tees...

Gareth definitely has the talent from what I've seen. The difficult part in a creative field is successfully converting that talent into something that is business viable in the long run. Too many talented people out there that don't have the support (or aren't willing/able to compromise their vision) to do this.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Rad comes from a wealth Iranian family. He just likes to play at fashion. Gareth, I think, needs to work for a living.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                        ah yes! Rad is the guy. Oh wow, he's still producing stuff. Does anyone actually carry him though? $300 graphic tees...

Gareth definitely has the talent from what I've seen. The difficult part in a creative field is successfully converting that talent into something that is business viable in the long run. Too many talented people out there that don't have the support (or aren't willing/able to compromise their vision) to do this.
                        1st ever designer to be commissioned to do a unisex couture collection correct?

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                          There's only one, but not for long:
                          wasn’t there one in Milan, with everything upside down?

OK, while typing I googled a little and found this:

too bad, I found the idea kind of refreshing. not my taste, but a pretty funny idea.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Rad comes from a wealth Iranian family. He just likes to play at fashion. Gareth, I think, needs to work for a living.
                            Ah the old wealthy-family-so-i-can-do-something-that-makes-me-look-cool-but-fundamentally-is-not-actually-financially-viable-but-hey-I'm-young move. Classic in "fashion" as well as "music." Seen all too often these days.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by radio-aktivität View Post
                              wasn’t there one in Milan, with everything upside down?

OK, while typing I googled a little and found this:

too bad, I found the idea kind of refreshing. not my taste, but a pretty funny idea.
                              yeah it actually was a pretty disorienting experience to visit. then it was turned into a michael kors store, i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎