• Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion's Postmodernist Phase

Fashion's Postmodernist Phase

(full article on www.sz-mag.com)

New York – From the numerous editorial reports underscoring the end of the fashion season in Paris one of the leitmotifs was the lack of originality on designers’ part.

Paris is usually the cherry on the cake in terms of creativity, a critic’s reward for having to sit through the commercial blandness of New York’s shows, the campy antics of London’s, and the vulgar luxury of Milan’s. Not this time, at least according to Angelo Flaccavento and Robin Givhan, two of the most powerful fashion commentators.

In his wrap-up for Business of Fashion, Flaccavento lamented the rise of styling tricks that are pushing out genuine fashion design. “Contemporary fashion is less about clothes making and more about image-making,” he astutely observed. Givhan, in her Washington Post article, wondered why today, when fashion commands unprecedented attention and unrivaled prestige, there were so few interesting ideas on Paris’s catwalks. “Little is surprising. Few designers have been able to breath life into a dream. Few have even tried.” was her verdict.
    Why is this so? The answer is that fashion has entered a postmodernist stage. Postmodernism is characterized not by genuinely revolutionary ideas, but by mixing the existing ones. This is why you see so much referencing of past decades on the catwalks, the very thing that the fashion critics are sick of.

The problem – if it is, indeed, a problem – is twofold. First is the so-called democratization of fashion. Once marketers figured out that “fashion” is a great way to sell clothes, overnight all clothes magically became fashion. Changing the name is the oldest – and cheapest – trick in any marketing textbook and it has worked incredibly well by providing validation to any piece of apparel. This has lead to destruction of all hierarchy in fashion, another characteristic of postmodernism. Everything is called fashion today, from Chanel’s haute couture to the rags in H&M’s clearance bin. The high/low divide has been erased by cheerful championing of fast fashion on the part of fashion magazines full of “get-the-look-for-less” articles and celebrities who proudly display their it bags next to their flip-flops.

The destruction of hierarchy can also be seen in the meteoric rise of streetwear. Today, two of the most-talked brands in the fashion press are Hood By Air and Public School, who churn out spruced up sweatshirts, sweatpants, t-shirts and bomber jackets. A pair of Nikes worn with a designer coat is as common of a site as a pair of Dior shoes.

The above simply means that today all propositions in fashion are valid and it becomes increasingly hard to champion one thing over another. The new generation has been told that sneakers and t-shirts are fashion since they could remember their first forays into personal style. That is why they crave the same things now as they did when they were teenagers. They wants something stylish, but also something that does not take them out of their comfort zone. And they are willing to pay premium prices for it.

(continue here)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • The Great Destroyer
    • Nov 2010

Thank you for posting Faust. As always, the article is spot on. While I still think there are some true, creative designers active today, it is indeed a pale shadow of what fashion once was. Especially if we go even further back then the 90's and look at designers like Vionnet and Gres.

I think one of the main problems is that young designers have this idea that they should start their own fashion house and become famous designers before they turn 25 which, to me, is just ludicrous. Sure, there's always exceptions to the rule but I think most people, even people with potential for extraordinary talent, need much longer then that just to learn the craft alone, not even taking into account the time needed to develop your own distinct "voice" for which I think you just need to keep on creating as much as possible, which again takes time.

So while even manny established designers are taking shortcuts and are not actually utilizing their potential (or disregards the fact that they have none) the bigger problem in the long run is, who will be the successors to the few interesting designers working today? I'm convinced there is a lot of talent out there but at the same time I'm becoming increasingly afraid that these people might not get a chance to make their voices heard. Like Faust wrote in the article, the same thing has already happened to music, art etc and look where that got us.

Yes, there is still tons of great music out there but it's becoming in my opinion increasingly hard to come by. Just like designers like Vionnet and Gres made up a big part of fashion, musicians like Bowie and Lennon used to be mainstream artists where as if they arrived today they would probably be considered indie rather then mainstream.

Pardon the rant, but this, to me is a serious issue and I have a hard time seeing how this can have a positive outcome in the end.

Comment

• kompressorkev
      • Dec 2006

This is an insightful and clear articulation on the current state of fashion, E, and on the forces that have been brewing for quite some time. You address a lot of issues here in this taut and precise piece, and this is a timely article, indeed.

I'm always a little surprised by how much homogeneity there is each season, relatively speaking, and I've often wondered how much more diverse things might have been without the proliferation of social media platforms pandering to the hashtag culture. I think that fashion design and styling, at some fundamental level, is concerned with editing and the idea that not all propositions work well. It feels like there's a lot of superfluous design for design's sake, and the resulting morass of clothing has slowed down fashion a lot on the large scale (even though the calendar is very accelerated). One can be sure nowadays that, almost without fail, every decent design/look will be inevitably co-opted and rehashed in every possible permutation, ad nausuem. Of course the more accessible and identifiable ones will trickle down to fast fashion and be reduced to a trend commodified. We hear the same tunes over and over, and original voices become harder to hear amongst the cacophony of mediocrity. The "everything goes" mantra has spawned a lot of static, and the fashion system feels at once frustrated, rushed, and jammed, like broken CD-burner at the start of of Tim Hecker's "The Work of Art in the Age of Cultural Overproduction."

Comment

• NOHSAD
        • Nov 2014

Thanks for the article Faust, an Insightful, yet morbid reality of today's fashion. Fashion as It Is nowadays Is really just "whatever goes" and especially whatever celebrity Is wearing/endorsing. I'll even go on to say that there's a sheep mentality from a consumer's standpoint on the topic of personal style.

Your point on street wear sums up exactly It's current state. While Public School and HBA are good examples, another example that shows street wear being on the same plateau Is John Elliot Co. having a fashion show In NYFW. A brand, that excels In sweat garments (aka. Cozy Boy style) showing up In NYFW reinforces that there's little boundaries (if any left) within fashion.

Giving the people what they want Is great for your bottom line, no question about It, but FUCK! That makes things so boring and repetitive that it's almost asinine to a degree .
        "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful comments. Keep them coming!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• malaesthetique
            • Mar 2009

Echoes Frederic Jameson's sentiments in Post-modernism, or the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism--particularly in his comparison of Van Gogh's 'A Pair of Shoes' and Warhol's 'Diamond Dust':
            Andy Warhol’s Diamond Dust Shoes evidently no longer speaks to us with any of the immediacy of Van Gogh’s footgear: indeed, I am tempted to say that it does not really speak to us at all... On the level of the content, we have to do with what are now far more clearly fetishes, both in the Freudian and in the Marxian sense (Derrida remarks, somewhere, about the Heideggerian Paar Bauernschuhe, that the Van Gogh footgear are a heterosexual pair, which allows neither for perversion nor for fetishization). Here, however, we have a random collection of dead objects, hanging together on the canvas like so many turnips, as shorn of their earlier life-world as the pile of shoes left over from Auschwitz... There is therefore in Warhol no way to complete the hermeneutic gesture, and to restore to these oddments that whole larger lived context...

I wouldn't however compare the previous fashion vanguard(s) we all adore to Van Gogh. Fashion as we know it has always already been post-modern, anachronistic, and intertextual. It is a symptom of late-capital, even though certain designers have employed modernist rhetoric at times to market their wares. This paradoxical relation is just another hallmark of the post-modern.

I'd like to see someone do a comparative analysis of the rise of the nostalgia mode in fashion as Jameson does in film.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ good sir, I shall endeavor to prove you wrong in my next op-ed! It will come out next Monday.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

There certainly are, just like there is good music and art being made today. The problem is that now they don't hit the mainstream but are left on the fringes. So, yes, I WOULD argue that mass taste has gotten worse. But we are looking at different decades. I shall say no more or you will coax my article out of me before it's published ;-)

That every period of time has stupid people and bad art is self-evident. The much more interesting issue is does the good stuff get its due in any given period or is it drowned out by the more commercially viable trash and the stuff that the mafia in the creative fields pushes. I am interested in degrees and scales. And when we look at that, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that things in this decade (well, really since last mid-decade) have taken a serious nosedive.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• The Great Destroyer
                  • Nov 2010

FMC:

Faust pretty much summed it all up in his last post.

Of course there are good, even great designers today as well as musicians and artists for that matter but what I perceive to be the difference, if we stick to fashion just to limit the scope to this specific article, is if a brand like In Aisce will ever get the recognition Vionnet got just to make a extreme example. Or even Gres for that matter. And even if In Aisce becomes accepted and universally praised 30 years from now, that still doesn't change the fact that the brand is not even on the mainstreams radar at this point which Vionnet was when she was starting out and created quite a splash in the fashion world with her first collections for Callot Soeurs.

I sincerely hope that I'm completely wrong as nothing would make me happier.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

For the unspoken truth is that postmodernism is the best friend of capitalism, because postmodernism’s golden rule “anything goes,” really means “anything sells.”
                    I thought this was an excellent point. I think post modernism has been prevalent in fashion design for a while, but social media has put this into hyperdrive and it's now so explicitly apparent in what is presented on runways. The way fashion has adapted to be about the likes/shares/etc., I can only imagine it getting "worse."
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I wasn't thinking about the social media at all when I wrote this. It's simply about the taste-consumer relationship - "I like, therefore I buy." And, if you are told that everything is valid, and you like everything - well, then...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                        eyes of the world
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                        The way fashion has adapted to be about the likes/shares/etc., I can only imagine it getting "worse."
                        Trust me, there is an undercurrent that does not and never has run in that direction.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                          Well, I'll await your response in long-form.
                          Here you go!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• upsilonkng
                            • May 2010

This is why in 2015 we end up with articles that lament lack of creativity even in Paris. A lot has been done, much has been rehashed, hierarchies have been dismantled, old markers of quality have been destroyed and no new ones have taken their place. Fashion has gone from a business that told people what they want to giving them what they want. In such a cultural milieu, it is no wonder that for veteran fashion critics it becomes increasingly harder to find something to be excited about. Get used to it.

i think this is the most important sentence here and it applys not just to fashion but pretty much anything creative vs consumer. A very real example that's a pretty recent trend is ATP and other festivals that make bands play old albums, sonic youth doing goo or daydream nation or whatever.. i think that shits crazy, i always thought it was, when did the audience decide what we play? what songs we'r allowed to play and from what era? it's all backwards and i'm not sure why everyone is playing along? I think it really ties in w/ basically popular opinion is now fact, even something as obvious as criminal behavior can have no consequence unless it becomes a public outcry(unless ur a cop of course then just got ahead and shoot as many as u like as long as they're people of color) . Its a strange world, making everything available on phones changes the value of everything because it's nver been worked for. U know that old saying "nothing given everything earned" well that would be the opposite of what is happening, everything is given not a damn thing is earned. u don't have to do shit as long as u have a phone and a cc, and u will even believe ur deciding for urself...

is there a solution?

I think the easiest one is first to break the consumer of their inherent belief that they can get what they want by paying for it, not just the consumer but people in general. there's no beauty in getting what u want all the time, in the exact color or in the exact order of songs u prefer. Real love involves romance, and romance definitely involves some tragedy, to quote Prince (who's probably the last genius to sell a million + records) "it isn't love till it's gone"

the second one is probably harder.. the artist has to give up the notion that success = $$$ , success is making the work u want to , getting by while creating the best art on ur terms is the reason why we all started, those other things are out of ur control and keep them out of ur consciousness and all equations and we'll have better art and less compromise and help restore the order. All real art makes the world a better place, it's not decoration, it's not background music, it's not in 3-d and for fucks sake it's not attainable in its true form via wifi.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎