X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashlight
    • Aug 2009

Jewellery|Sculpture

'Filip Palmén, an emerging jewellery artisan, currently studying a Masters at the Royal College Of Art London'
    A few pieces of handcrafted rings, earrings and bracelets:

Hold On №3, sterling silver: handcarved and cast

Rest [2015], sterling silver: handcarved and cast

Hold On Earring, sterling silver: handcarved and cast

Longing Double Ring, sterling silver: handcarved and cast

[untitled], 18k gold & raw diamond: handcarved and cast

Longing Rings №2, sterling silver: handcarved and cast

[untitled] bracelet, oxidized sterling silver: handcarved, cast, forged and solder. Chain is handmade.

Two Dimensions Ring, sterling silver: one is forged, one is handcarved and cast

These pieces are only partially influenced by my current studies, but they are still very relevant to my aesthetic and show a glimpse of what is to come. All feedback appreciated!
    ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
    Last edited by flashlight; 05-13-2015, 07:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

Very poetic and beautiful! Congratulations on such a lovely collection
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• YTheLastMan
      • Apr 2014

I'd like to echo Alicia's sentiments.

Although I enjoy your work, reckon the pricing needs a bit of tweaking. I'd love one of the 'longing' rings but can't see myself paying 400 quid for silver

Comment

• flashlight
        • Aug 2009

Thank you both ahn and YTheLastMan

I do understand how you think about the pricing, but the price is carefully considered for each piece and there are many aspects that affect this calculation, material is one of the smallest ones. To say that 'you are not paying for the material' would conclude, but it is not my intention to sound coarse. So to elaborate:

That particular ring is the third in a series where each version has been reworked from the prior to improve the expression of the concept. This third original is handcarved out of wax using a scalpell and other precision tools, then cast in metal and finished by filing and polishing by hand. This is simply the production: the execution of an idea that has taken countless hours and is the sum of me as the artist which makes it a unique design. Even though it's a lot of money, the price is rational to what you are paying for.

To keep the higher price rather than pressing it is also a deliberate decision to keep the exclusivity of Hold On №3. My other pieces I honestly think are very much affordable if you compare to other contemporary artisan jewellery. In the end my intention is not to sell a lot, rather my goal is to have a wide range of cenceptionally genuine pieces.

I encourage replies with differing views!

Comment

• YTheLastMan
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by flashlight View Post
          Thank you both ahn and YTheLastMan

That particular ring is the third in a series where each version has been reworked from the prior to improve the expression of the concept. This third original is handcarved out of wax using a scalpell and other precision tools, then cast in metal and finished by filing and polishing by hand. This is simply the production: the execution of an idea that has taken countless hours and is the sum of me as the artist which makes it a unique design. Even though it's a lot of money, the price is rational to what you are paying for.

To keep the higher price rather than pressing it is also a deliberate decision to keep the exclusivity of Hold On №3. My other pieces I honestly think are very much affordable if you compare to other contemporary artisan jewellery. In the end my intention is not to sell a lot, rather my goal is to have a wide range of cenceptionally genuine pieces.

I encourage replies with differing views!
          Like I said, I respect and admire the work!

I may may not be in the demographic but I'm certain many others are.

Then again, I did spend $400 on a bracelet from Alicia

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎