X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleJesuss
    • May 2014

Why Fashion Needs Chaos

Nice op-ed on 1 Granary about the concept of relinquishing social and physical norms in order to truly spur thought provoking designs.
  • NOHSAD
    • Nov 2014

Enjoyed the article. I'm sure there's been a couple along the lines of Granary's, but I agree with the idea of having chaos in fashion. To challenge the norm of what clothing is and how it looks to people, is interesting.
    "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• old
      • Jul 2009

I just feel that celebrating chaos at this age is just absolute nonsense. A lack of formal constraint often hinders, rather than liberates human creativity. Completely chaos, after the initial shock, often ends up looking exactly the same.

While I do like the norm of clothing/gender being challenged, it could be done in many more delicate ways than the in your face, CdG chaos.
      Tradition ist Bewahrung des Feuers und nicht Anbetung der Asche.

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

cdg is the closest [in fashion] to what happens when improvisation (often chaotic) creates the groove of evolutionary muck that then evolves to higher form and states of being.

must have been something in the roses this weekend ;-)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Interesting article. I suppose the proposition is valid if you take newness as the main purpose of fashion. Of course it's an idealistic view, but I don't mind that either. I like this:

"When fashion explores ‘the possible’ as art does, clothes extend our capacity for radical expression, understood as the subversion of the cultural limits imposed on our ways of performing and interacting in the social arena."

I do think the desire to merge the supposedly artificial divide between the male and the female is a form of artificiality itself, probably a bigger one.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Belcher
            • May 2015

Originally posted by PurpleJesuss View Post
            http://1granary.com/central-saint-martins-fashion/why-fashion-needs-chaos/

Nice op-ed on 1 Granary about the concept of relinquishing social and physical norms in order to truly spur thought provoking designs.
            internet humor
            Agreed with you on this point. I also thinks so what you have mentioned.
            Last edited by Belcher; 01-14-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• panosjapan
              • May 2015

So, what is chaos?

I am not sure what is 'chaos' in the writer's mind.

She writes, for example, "If one rejects well established ideas which are part of the so-called ‘common sense’ and instead embraces chaos during the creative process..."
              Rejecting established ideas is not chaos - at least, not in my mind - but more like 'thinking outside the box' and 'going against the norm.'

And what about design values like balance, striving for an ideal of form and use? Are those part of the chaotic approach the writer describes? If not, shouldn't they be? (not in each and every design, but still, part of the design of many 'common' products.)

Comment

• Jun 2014

I enjoy the ideas that the author is proposing but they write in a way that's unapologetically academic. It's most likely how they've been taught to speak as a graduate student but it makes the article inaccessible to a lot of people.

Fashion theorists often adopt traditional pedagogical thinking in order to be accepted by academia. Fashion has never been considered valuable or intellectual. Yet most theorists are unwilling to engage audiences outside of the ivory tower. There's a fear your work wont be valued if it's presented in a way that's accessible to a wider audience.

Yet if the author hopes for true transgression or revolution they have to do more than theoretical investigation. You have to be able to connect theory and community practice, or you limit the impact of your critique on social structures.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                  I enjoy the ideas that the author is proposing but they write in a way that's unapologetically academic. It's most likely how they've been taught to speak as a graduate student but it makes the article inaccessible to a lot of people.

Fashion theorists often adopt traditional pedagogical thinking in order to be accepted by academia. Fashion has never been considered valuable or intellectual. Yet most theorists are unwilling to engage audiences outside of the ivory tower. There's a fear your work wont be valued if it's presented in a way that's accessible to a wider audience.

Yet if the author hopes for true transgression or revolution they have to do more than theoretical investigation. You have to be able to connect theory and community practice, or you limit the impact of your critique on social structures.
                  Couldn't agree more. (That's why I went into journalism instead. I am interested in sharing ideas with people in the real world, with hope that it may bring real consequences.)

Also, some academics, mostly anthropologists, are pushed towards fashion theory, and the results are a complete disaster.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• panosjapan
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by 1994 View Post

+1 from me.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎